Complex Representation of Free Vibration

In summary: This way, you can always be explicit about what you are doing.In summary, the author is struggling to go between different representations of vibrations and is using Rao as a reference. They are trying to solve a differential equation using complex numbers, but are lost when they try to jump to the real part.
koab1mjr
Hi all

I am struggling with going between various representations of vibrations in paticular the complex form.

I am using Rao as my text btw

so for a free vibration and making it simple no damping the euqation of motion is

[tex]mx^{..}[/tex] + kx = 0

with the general solution being

x = C1[tex]e^{iwnt}[/tex] + C2[tex]e^{-iwnt}[/tex]

Here is where the confusion starts, I am only suposed to consider the real portion of the solution above and disregard the imaginary. So using the euler identity becomes

x = (C1+ C2)cos(wnt) + (C1-C2)isin(wnt)

which is
Now based on the statement above i would disregard the second piece since its imaginary. but the problem is the book follws up with

x = C1'cos(wnt) + C2'sin(wnt) is including the second piece and now considering real. FRom here on I am fine but I am lost on this jump

Any help would be much apreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
hi koab1mjr! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)

i'm not familiar with the use of complex numbers in this way, but i think the original C1 and C2 are allowed to be complex, so when you take the real parts you do get a combination of cos and sin (alternatively, you get a phase)

What you really have is

x = Real part of {(C1+ C2)cos(wnt) + (C1-C2)isin(wnt)}

where C1 and C2 are complex. If you unpick that expression, it amounts to

x = A cos (wnt) + B sin (wnt)

where A and B are real constants. That can be written in a simpler form using complex numbers, namely

x = Real part of {C exp(iwnt)}

where C is a complex constant.

This still represents the complete solution to the differential equation, with two indepedent arbitrary (real) constants, namely the real and imaginary parts of C.

You can then write
x' = Real part of {iwC exp(iwmt)}
etc

However, the "Real part of" is just assumed almost all the time, except in situations where you need to be explicit about exactly what real part you mean. So you would normally just write

x = C exp(iwnt)
x' = iwC exp(iwmt)
etc.

As a general principle, don't try to "discard the imaginary parts" too soon in the math. It is usally simpler to keep all the math in complex variables, and only take the real part at the end to relate the math back to the "real world".

Last edited:

What is the complex representation of free vibration?

The complex representation of free vibration is a mathematical method used to analyze the behavior of vibrating systems. It involves representing the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of a system as complex numbers, which can be used to determine the natural frequency, damping ratio, and mode shapes of the system.

Why is the complex representation of free vibration important?

The complex representation of free vibration allows for a more accurate analysis of vibrating systems, as it takes into account both the amplitude and phase of the vibrations. It is also useful for solving systems with multiple degrees of freedom.

How is the complex representation of free vibration used in engineering?

The complex representation of free vibration is used in engineering to design and analyze structures and machines that are subject to vibrations, such as bridges, buildings, and aircraft. It helps engineers understand how a system will respond to different frequencies and how to minimize unwanted vibrations.

What are the advantages of using the complex representation of free vibration?

Using the complex representation of free vibration allows for a more efficient and accurate analysis of vibrating systems compared to other methods. It also provides a better understanding of the system's behavior and allows for the prediction of potential issues that may arise due to vibrations.

Are there any limitations to the complex representation of free vibration?

While the complex representation of free vibration is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It assumes linear behavior of the system and may not be applicable to highly nonlinear systems. It also requires knowledge of the system's parameters, which may be difficult to obtain in some cases.