Help with IR LEDs: Powering, Wiring & Resistor Questions

• Thread starter MOzebra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ir Leds
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of IR LEDs in a project and the need for assistance in determining the power and resistor requirements for the LEDs. The individual has limited knowledge in electronics but has found a resource that may be helpful. They also mention the possibility of using a board to wire the LEDs and inquire about the difference between wiring them in series and parallel. The conversation ends with a question about calculating the number of LEDs that can be powered by a specific voltage source.
MOzebra
I have a project in mind that I need help with IR LEDs. I'm not an electricity expert; actually, I have almost no experience in electronics. I had an idea for a project and now I'm just trying to make it work. I will need to power a number of IR LEDs at one time for a continuous period. Is there a way to figure out how much power I will need per IR LED? Also, what type of resistors will I need and how will I need to wire it inline with the LEDs? Does each LED need a resistor or can I run a few LEDs off of a resistor?

I appreciate your help and I apologize for my lack of expertise on the matter.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ok, I hate to admit it, but I'm kind of lost with that. I'll look over it again tomorrow when I get the chance and hopefully it will make more sense. I was planning on wiring everything up inline. Would it just be easier to make a board and wire them all up to the board?

The IR LEDs won't really serve a purpose other than just turning on.

MOzebra said:
Ok, I hate to admit it, but I'm kind of lost with that. I'll look over it again tomorrow when I get the chance and hopefully it will make more sense. I was planning on wiring everything up inline. Would it just be easier to make a board and wire them all up to the board?

The IR LEDs won't really serve a purpose other than just turning on.
Forget about the IR aspect for the moment, a diode is a diode. You'll need to know the rated voltage drop across your LED and rated current. Then see something like this:
http://members.misty.com/don/ledd.html

mheslep: That makes a little more sense. I think I'm starting to catch on. What is the difference between putting LEDs in a series and parallel to each other as your link describes in the last two paragraphs?

So let me see if I've got this correct...according to that link, if I used LEDs that were 1.7 volts and a battery that is 12 volts, I should run like 5 LEDs off of that power supply? (80% of 12 volts is 9.6 volts. 9.6 volts divided by 1.7 volts is 5.65 LEDs.) Would that be the correct way of figuring that out?

1. How do I power my IR LEDs?

To power IR LEDs, you will need a power source such as a battery or a power supply. The voltage and current requirements for your specific IR LEDs will determine the type of power source you need. It is important to match the power source to the specifications of your IR LEDs to avoid damaging them.

2. Do I need to use a resistor with my IR LEDs?

Yes, it is recommended to use a resistor with IR LEDs. This helps regulate the current flowing through the LEDs and prevents them from burning out. The value of the resistor will depend on the voltage and current requirements of your IR LEDs. You can use an online resistor calculator or consult the datasheet for your LEDs to determine the appropriate resistor value.

3. How do I wire my IR LEDs?

To wire your IR LEDs, you will need to connect the positive (anode) and negative (cathode) leads of the LED to the corresponding terminals of your power source. If using multiple LEDs, you can connect them in a series or parallel circuit, depending on your desired setup. It is also important to include a resistor in the circuit to regulate the current.

4. Can I use a single power source for multiple IR LEDs?

Yes, you can use a single power source for multiple IR LEDs. However, you will need to make sure that the power source can provide enough voltage and current to power all the LEDs. It is also important to consider the resistance of the circuit when calculating the appropriate resistor value.

5. Can I control the brightness of my IR LEDs?

Yes, you can control the brightness of your IR LEDs by adjusting the voltage or using a pulse width modulation (PWM) circuit. By varying the voltage or the duty cycle of the PWM signal, you can control the amount of current flowing through the LEDs and therefore, their brightness.