Rash of deleted members this last week?

• Thread starter rcgldr
  • Start date
In summary, the recent banning of members is due to sockpuppet accounts being created by banned members in an attempt to circumvent the ban. This is not an automatic process and is done manually by the moderators. The rules against sockpuppets and multiple accounts are clearly stated and can be found on the forum's website.
rcgldr
Homework Helper
I've seen some recent posts where members have been deleted after making 2 or 3 posts here. Is this due to some faulty auto-ban trigger? I don't recall seeing any controversial posts recently, so not sure what's going on. The questions being asked seem like novice questions, and despite the low level of the questions, and the apparent instant deletions, members here are responding.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no auto-ban feature. The members you are seeing banned are likely accounts that banned members make to try and circumvent the ban.

And they are banned manually, quite often after trying to contact the user by PM to explain what is going on.

So what goes on leading to banishment? Do others complain? Is there a voting among the mentors? Is there an appeals process? Is there a document explaining this?

They are banned members that are trying to return using a sockpuppet. Banned members are not allowed to return with new names. That is why they disappear so quickly, without an apparent reason (to members), mentors have the documentation. If they are caught, they are re-banned.

Why were they banned originally?

EnumaElish said:
Why were they banned originally?

Accumulation of infractions as always.

Realize that sockpuppet accounts are immediately banned, but not necessarily the original accounts. Of course, creating multiple accounts will quickly get you in trouble, since that violates our rules.

EnumaElish said:
So what goes on leading to banishment? Do others complain? Is there a voting among the mentors? Is there an appeals process? Is there a document explaining this?

The Rules are given at

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380

for which a link is given at the top centre of each page. From this page

Disciplinary Action: A member may be issued either a warning or an infraction if deemed warranted by an admin or mentor (usually from guideline noncompliance). Infractions range from 1 to 10 "points", depending on the severity of the violation; warnings carry no points. If a member accrues 8 or more infraction points, he or she will be automatically banned from Physics Forums for a period of 10 days. If a member receives any infraction after having returned from a temporary ban, that member will then be banned permanently. Obvious, incorrigible spamming or trouble making will be met with a permanent ban.

Although unlikely, isn't it possible for there to be multiple members in a household and sharing an ip (if this is what triggers the auto-ban). Does an entire household get banned for the actions of one of it's members?

The other point is that I don't recall any recent controversial posts that would merit someone getting banned, but then again, I only look at a small sub-set of the sections here (general physics, classic physics, computers, ...), but that is where I see the deleted members.

I don't know the reason for the original banning, so I'll have to assume it was for some flagrant violation of the rules. Wondering if there is there a committee that reviews these things?

There is no autoban. Cases in which multiple members share a computer are looked at case by case, and do occur, in which case they are not banned.

Evo said:
They are banned members that are trying to return using a sockpuppet. Banned members are not allowed to return with new names. That is why they disappear so quickly, without an apparent reason (to members), mentors have the documentation. If they are caught, they are re-banned.
And your guys are so good at catching them. I've seen situations where a sockpuppet tried at least 13 times in a mater of minutes to get back in.

Hooray for the mentors. Good work. :!)

rcgldr said:
Although unlikely, isn't it possible for there to be multiple members in a household and sharing an ip (if this is what triggers the auto-ban). Does an entire household get banned for the actions of one of it's members?

The other point is that I don't recall any recent controversial posts that would merit someone getting banned, but then again, I only look at a small sub-set of the sections here (general physics, classic physics, computers, ...), but that is where I see the deleted members.

I don't know the reason for the original banning, so I'll have to assume it was for some flagrant violation of the rules. Wondering if there is there a committee that reviews these things?
If it's a case of mutltiple users sharing a single computer, that is allowed. The member(s) you are referring to were notified of the rule against sockpuppets and they did not respond, so they were banned, they were left with one open account, according to the rules. So far they have not disputed the closing of their other accounts.

We have quite a few members that share computers, as long as the member responds to our inquiry and states that there are mutliple users, there is no problem. That is not the case here.

Here the the rules.

(ii) Only one account/username per person; multiple accounts are not allowed--no sockpuppets;

(iii) Only one person per account/username--accounts are not to be shared.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380

Last edited:
OK, I didn't realize all of this recent activity was due to just one user.

It's looking rather bleak 'round here lately though.

It's sad and counterproductive IMO, to see members with strong opinions, or a strong way of expressing them, getting banned.

Maybe folk need to lighten up a little and realize that passion, diversity of opinion and interesting ways of expressing that opinion, is what makes a forum.

Don't throw the bady out with the bathwater ..

dlgoff said:
And your guys are so good at catching them. I've seen situations where a sockpuppet tried at least 13 times in a mater of minutes to get back in.

Hooray for the mentors. Good work. :!)

Off topic, but what's with the ..

copy and paste: α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π ρ ς σ τ υ φ χ ψ ω

Just curious :-)

If you'd read what went before, a lot of the bans are sockpuppets of members that are still here. Its just that sockpuppets are against forum rules. The same person may be posting under a different name.

I understand a banned member creating a sockpuppet to get back onto the forum, but what is the motivation for current members to have sockpuppets?

I don't really know. Some might have innocently created another ID for whatever reason, whereas others may want to use another ID to avoid getting points on their main account for behaviour beyond the rules. That is what I speculate anyway.

Ah, that sounds plausible, create another account if you have lost your password or bypassing the rules. My theory was a more far-fetched, as I imagined users having multiple accounts so they could have different "personalities" and respond in different ways in threads. Or you could trash threads I suppose. You could even have an argument with yourself! Whatever the reason, it's dishonest and I am glad PF stamps on it.

alt said:
Off topic, but what's with the ..

copy and paste: α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π ρ ς σ τ υ φ χ ψ ω

Just curious :-)
It is part of his "signature" text, and is automatically appended to every post he makes.

Those symbols are useful when discussing physics and math. But they are not standard keyboard symbols, so one must copy-and-paste in order to make use of them.

cobalt124 said:
Ah, that sounds plausible, create another account if you have lost your password or bypassing the rules. My theory was a more far-fetched, as I imagined users having multiple accounts so they could have different "personalities" and respond in different ways in threads. Or you could trash threads I suppose. You could even have an argument with yourself! Whatever the reason, it's dishonest and I am glad PF stamps on it.
Actually, those are reasons for some sockpuppets.

Redbelly98 said:
It is part of his "signature" text, and is automatically appended to every post he makes.

Those symbols are useful when discussing physics and math. But they are not standard keyboard symbols, so one must copy-and-paste in order to make use of them.
I think I stole them from you. Anyway it was your idea that lead me to doing it. Thanks RB. Very useful.

You're welcome, but to be honest I stole the idea from tiny-tim. :biggrin:

Or sockpuppets can be used to support your side of the argument.

You say X, everyone else disagrees, suddenly MR A turns up supporting you - generally in your writing style, with your exact arguments and a join date and posts perfectly matching the thread.

Redbelly98 said:

Yes, I know all that. In fact, it's the lower case modern Greek alphabet - to be exact.

I was wondering what the 'message' or the relevance was in having it in the sig.

No big deal though - just curious.

alt said:
Yes, I know all that. In fact, it's the lower case modern Greek alphabet - to be exact.

I was wondering what the 'message' or the relevance was in having it in the sig.

I appreciate members that have helpful information in their signatures. It's a nice gesture, not to mention helpful. :smile:

alt said:

I'm adding to them daily. I just realized the capitol omega (Ω) I use in the Engineering Forums and the degree (°) I use in the "Baby it's Cold" thread weren't there.

Evo said:
I appreciate members that have helpful information in their signatures. It's a nice gesture, not to mention helpful. :smile:

So do I. I just didn't (still don't) understand the intent of "copy and paste .. the Greek alphabet" I thought there may have been more to it than that, but it's probably my curiosity working overtime.

alt said:
So do I. I just didn't (still don't) understand the intent of "copy and paste .. the Greek alphabet" I thought there may have been more to it than that, but it's probably my curiosity working overtime.

It's so when you're replying to posts you can quickly access the symbols instead of going to a character map or alternate location. Nothing more, very useful.

It is just much easier to use than switching to other keyboard, or starting character table program to copy/paste, or something like that.

Borek, jared, got it now, thanks.

And here was I thinking it was some secret Helenistic code, copying / pasting upon which something incredible would happen .. :-)

How did 'Careful' get into trouble?

Maui said:
How did 'Careful' get into trouble?
We don't discuss members, it's a matter of privacy.

He wasn't careful enough.