Want to study spintronics or Magnetic resonance imaging, but

In summary: There is no guarantee of a job, much less a good job, with a BA in physics. If you want to study these subjects, you'll need to get a PhD in physics. Additionally, if you want to work in the field of spintronics or NMR, you'll need to have a PhD in physics. You won't be able to get a job without a PhD in physics. If you want to study these subjects, you'll need to get a PhD in physics.
qwertyyuiop
... I recently graduated with a BA in physics with less than three months experience in physics research with a not so fantastic GPA. I don't want to go back to school and further my education because I don't want to continue to borrow money for loans to pay for college tuition . What kinds of jobs(science related or not) can I get with a BA in physics where GPA is not very important and neither is extensive job experience. Also, is it possible to apply for any physics research internships or any other science internships where they train you on the job, you are a college graduate , but have little or no training in research?

Physics news on Phys.org
The fields you mention (spintronics, magnetic reonsance - specifically ferromagnetic resonance -, etc.) are applied regularly in the magnetic information storage industry, so you might try companies that do research in those areas. Hitatchi, Western Digital etc. have hired grad students I went to school with.

However, those people all had PhD's. It doesn't hurt to try, but I wonder about the quality of the job you'll get with a BS and a mediocre/poor GPA. Going back to grad school, on the other hand, would give you a chance to study these subjects you're interested and get good grades. My undergrad grades weren't good either, and I found after I got excellent grades in grad school no one cared.

Goodluck with whichever you choose, and consider updating this thread with the results of your decision.

Locrian said:
The fields you mention (spintronics, magnetic reonsance - specifically ferromagnetic resonance -, etc.) are applied regularly in the magnetic information storage industry, so you might try companies that do research in those areas. Hitatchi, Western Digital etc. have hired grad students I went to school with.

However, those people all had PhD's. It doesn't hurt to try, but I wonder about the quality of the job you'll get with a BS and a mediocre/poor GPA. Going back to grad school, on the other hand, would give you a chance to study these subjects you're interested and get good grades. My undergrad grades weren't good either, and I found after I got excellent grades in grad school no one cared.

Goodluck with whichever you choose, and consider updating this thread with the results of your decision.

What schools do you have to go to study spintronics , and magnetic resonance research? Also , what if you decide to work for a while and go to back to school to study spintronics because you wanted to saved up for school? Will the grad committee look at teacher's recommendation, since I had been out of school for a while and would not have had contact with my profs since I had been in the work place for a while.

Currently, what can I do with a BA in physics ? What kind of jobs can I get with a BA in physics?

Spintronics and NMR are also my interests. My advice is to apply for graduate program. It will never be late. A BA in physics could do nothing about physics.

First of all, congratulations on graduating with a BA in physics! It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to complete a degree in this field. I understand your concerns about furthering your education and accumulating more student loan debt. However, I want to assure you that there are plenty of job opportunities available for individuals with a BA in physics, even if your GPA is not as high as you would like and you have limited research experience.

One option is to look for entry-level positions in scientific research or related fields. Many companies and organizations are looking for individuals with a strong foundation in physics to join their teams. Your BA in physics demonstrates your analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as your ability to think critically and logically. These are valuable skills that are highly sought after in various industries, such as technology, engineering, and finance.

You can also consider applying for internships or apprenticeships in scientific research. These opportunities may not require extensive research experience or a high GPA, but they will provide you with hands-on training and valuable skills that you can use in future job applications. Many internships also offer a stipend or salary, so you may not have to rely solely on loans to support yourself.

In terms of specific job titles, you could look for positions such as research assistant, laboratory technician, data analyst, or technical writer. These roles may not necessarily be in the field of spintronics or MRI, but they will allow you to gain valuable experience and further develop your skills in a scientific setting.

Overall, I encourage you to explore all of your options and not be discouraged by your GPA or limited research experience. With a BA in physics, you have a strong foundation in a highly marketable field and there are plenty of opportunities available for you. I also suggest networking with professionals in the field and attending job fairs or career events to learn about potential job opportunities. Best of luck in your job search!

1. What is spintronics?

Spintronics, short for spin electronics, is a branch of physics that focuses on the study and manipulation of the spin of electrons. It involves using the spin of electrons in addition to their charge to process and store information, making it a promising field for developing more efficient and powerful electronic devices.

2. How is spintronics related to magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)?

Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a medical imaging technique that uses strong magnetic fields and radio waves to produce detailed images of the inside of the body. Spintronics plays an important role in MRI as it is used to manipulate the spins of protons in the body, which are then detected by the MRI machine to create the images.

3. What are the potential applications of spintronics?

Spintronics has a wide range of potential applications, including data storage, information processing, sensors, and medical imaging. It has the potential to make electronic devices smaller, faster, and more energy-efficient.

4. How can I get started in studying spintronics or MRI?

To study spintronics or MRI, a strong foundation in physics and mathematics is necessary. You can start by taking courses in these subjects at an undergraduate level and then pursuing a graduate degree in a related field such as physics, electrical engineering, or biomedical engineering. You can also attend workshops or conferences related to spintronics and MRI to learn more about these fields.

5. What are the current challenges in the field of spintronics and MRI?

Some of the current challenges in spintronics and MRI include finding ways to control and manipulate spins at room temperature, developing more efficient and reliable materials for spin-based devices, and improving the resolution and speed of MRI machines. Another challenge is understanding and controlling the effects of environmental noise on spin-based systems.