Find the Best Physics Book for Under $50 - Recommendations Welcome!

• Thread starter Jack21222
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation is about a person who won an award from their physics department, which allows them to choose a free physics-related book with a maximum price of 50 dollars. They are looking for a technical book on the level of a junior or senior physics undergraduate, with interests in cosmology and astrophysics, particle physics, and atmospheric physics. They would like to avoid books under 20 dollars to make the most of their free book. Some recommendations are made, including "The Trouble With Physics" by Lee Smolin and "The Road to Reality" by Roger Penrose. The conversation also touches on the criteria for the award and the person's interest in physics.
Jack21222
As part of an award I won from my physics department, I get a free physics-related book of my choosing, with a 50 dollar or so maximum price.

I'd like to get a fairly technical book, on the level of a junior or senior physics undergraduate, but not as dry as a textbook.

Some areas of interest are cosmology and astrophysics, particle physics, and atmospheric physics.

While the book has to be under 50 dollars, I'd feel like it was a waste of a freebie if the book is under 20 dollars.

Any books that meet these criteria?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jack21222 said:
As part of an award I won from my physics department, I get a free physics-related book of my choosing, with a 50 dollar or so maximum price.

I'd like to get a fairly technical book, on the level of a junior or senior physics undergraduate, but not as dry as a textbook.

Some areas of interest are cosmology and astrophysics, particle physics, and atmospheric physics.

While the book has to be under 50 dollars, I'd feel like it was a waste of a freebie if the book is under 20 dollars.

Any books that meet these criteria?

Congrats, what was the award based on?

I've read a few books, just my two cents on the book I am reading right now: "The Trouble With Physics," by Lee Smolin is a pretty good book and it opens your eyes to the big problems of modern physics (and how we might be able to overcome it).

Very, very good book.

Last edited:
Nano-Passion said:
Congrats, what was the award based on?

I've read a few books, just my two cents on the book I am reading right now: "The end of Physics," by Lee Simolin is a pretty good book and it opens your eyes to the big problems of modern physics (and how we might be able to overcome it).

Very, very good book.

Given by the department based on criteria such as GPA, being active in the department, etc. Basically a reward for being the biggest teacher's pet.

I can get that book on Amazon for under 10 dollars, so I feel like that'd be a waste of a free book, though I'll consider buying that myself.

I suspect I'm going to end up with a long wishlist of physics books that I can buy myself from this thread and from searching on my own, but I'm hoping to stumble upon a fairly expensive book (in the range of 40-50 dollars) to use my reward on.

I often see books like that in the back section of Physics Today, but I don't have any issues handy.

Jack21222 said:
Given by the department based on criteria such as GPA, being active in the department, etc. Basically a reward for being the biggest teacher's pet.

I can get that book on Amazon for under 10 dollars, so I feel like that'd be a waste of a free book, though I'll consider buying that myself.

I suspect I'm going to end up with a long wishlist of physics books that I can buy myself from this thread and from searching on my own, but I'm hoping to stumble upon a fairly expensive book (in the range of 40-50 dollars) to use my reward on.

I often see books like that in the back section of Physics Today, but I don't have any issues handy.

I apologize I meant "The trouble With Physics" not "the end of physics."

Good job and congrats :D, is it personal if I ask what your gpa was to permit you the award. And how were you active in the department, what things did you do?

How far are you in your education?

^^ Just me being curious and interested.

Hmm, I don't know about expensive books because I'm a cheapo myself but maybe this can help you.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the key factors to consider when choosing a physics book?

When searching for the best physics book under $50, it is important to consider the author's credentials, the book's level of difficulty, the topics covered, and the edition or publication date. It is also helpful to read reviews from other readers to get an idea of the book's effectiveness and clarity.

2. Are there any specific titles or authors that are highly recommended for physics books under $50?

There are many great physics books available for under $50, so it ultimately depends on personal preference and learning style. Some popular and highly recommended authors include Richard Feynman, Stephen Hawking, and Brian Greene. Titles such as "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene and "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking are often praised for being both informative and engaging.

3. Is it better to choose a newer edition or an older edition of a physics book?

It is generally recommended to choose a newer edition of a physics book, as it will likely have updated information and may include newer research or advancements in the field. However, older editions can still be valuable and informative if they cover the topics you are interested in learning about.

4. Are there any online resources or websites that can help me find the best physics book for under $50?

Yes, there are many websites and resources that can help with finding the best physics book for your budget. Goodreads and Amazon are popular options for reading reviews and browsing titles, and sites like OpenStax and Project Gutenberg offer free or low-cost digital versions of physics textbooks.

5. Can I find a physics book for under $50 that covers advanced topics?

Yes, there are many affordable physics books that cover advanced topics such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and astrophysics. Look for books that are labeled as "intermediate" or "advanced" level, and read reviews to ensure that the book is comprehensive and well-written.