Radio frequency creating light

In summary, Sophie thinks that she can create light with a prism and a radio transmitter, but she doesn't know how to do it and doesn't have access to a radio frequency emitter.
rudolf141
hi guys ,

I d like to ask you some comments and recommendations, I am an undergrad working ,trying to, on a project.
I was thinking that if I could connect an antenna to a prism and then create light of different wavelength which could be used for ...I don t know photoelectric effect and so on... in LED perhaps.

sorry for any mistakes

please any comments or recommendations for a textbook which would make it clearer ,antennas and all the above, it s more electrical engeneering and I m a physics student

thank you all, Regards

Science news on Phys.org
How would the antenna create visible light? Radio waves would go through the prism most likely. Also you cannot combine the radio waves to make visible light either. At least not with a prism.

To 'get' visible light out of radio waves, you need to be very near to a radio transmitter and then use an antenna with a tuned circuit. This passive receiving set 'could' produce enough volts to drive an LED.

But the energy of RF photons is very low and the energy of visible light photons is millions of times more so you couldn't get direct conversion that way..

hi! I don't know about radio waves, but i have experienced with microwaves.
Ones need to have diodes which are sensibel toward waves of a certain frequency. It is like solar cells which are sensibel by visible light and are able to transfers (or creats ?) photons of visible light in electrons and positrons (some body calls them holes) which move in oposite directions and voila ! difference of potential. If this potential is big enough you may conect a lamp in circuit and have light.
Radio waves have very low fraquence and their photons very low energy ( E = h*f) so they are able to create very small potential. May be -- using lamp diodes which works with small potentials you may have any faint light.
Cheers!

OK,

Thank you, mquirce.
Now the problem is that I should be near a radio frequency emitter. And I m probably not.
Is there any way this could work in the microwave range? in order to get out more energy out . regards,
R

Microwave links work on as little power as possible - and it is often a very low power. If you stick a dish up there to intercept enough of that power to light your bedroom, someone will soon come knocking on your door because you are screening the intended receive antanna. They will know where to come because they will see the 50ft diameter dish high on a pole in your garden. :biggrin:

I see no reason you cannot get a small transmitter and do your project on a small scale. The principles are all the same.

You re funny sophiecentaur.
Thank you all for your advices.

1. What is radio frequency and how does it create light?

Radio frequency is a type of electromagnetic radiation that has a long wavelength and low frequency. When radio frequency waves are applied to certain materials, they cause the atoms in the material to become excited and emit light. This process is known as radio frequency induced luminescence.

2. What types of materials can be used to create light with radio frequency?

Materials such as phosphors, semiconductors, and gases can be used to create light with radio frequency. Phosphors are commonly used in fluorescent lights and CRT displays, while semiconductors are used in LED lights. Gases, such as neon and argon, are used in gas discharge lamps.

3. How is radio frequency used in everyday technology to create light?

Radio frequency is used in a variety of everyday technologies to create light. For example, radio frequency is used in cell phones to transmit signals, which are then converted into light on the screen. It is also used in microwave ovens to heat food, and in radio and TV broadcasts to transmit audio and video signals.

4. Are there any potential dangers associated with using radio frequency to create light?

Radio frequency radiation is generally considered safe for human exposure at low levels. However, at high levels, it can cause tissue damage and increase the risk of certain types of cancer. It is important to follow safety guidelines and regulations when using devices that emit radio frequency radiation.

5. Can radio frequency be used to create light in outer space?

Yes, radio frequency can be used to create light in outer space. In fact, radio frequency is often used in space telescopes to detect infrared and ultraviolet light that is invisible to the human eye. Radio frequency is also used in communication satellites to transmit signals back to Earth.