How can I improve the stability of my DIY maglev train model?

In summary, the speaker is having difficulty creating a small-scale model of a maglev train, despite researching and trying various methods. They are now considering using a rail with permanent magnets, but are still encountering stability issues. They are seeking advice on how to improve the design by potentially increasing the number of magnets.
rossonero
Good night, I'm trying to do a model of the maglev at small scale, but I'm having a lot of problems to levitate and have stability.
I have already read Earnshaw theory, but in youtube i see many models working, but when i try do replicate doesn't work.

Now i have a rail way with electromagnets and a train with permanent magnets, but beyond the stability problems, in the end of each coil and beginning of another coil i find a gap of magnetic field where the permanent magnets just fall.

I think now try to make a rail with permanent magnets to, but with the magnets i already have, cubes with 1cm, making a rail way with 17 cubes, and putting 3 cubes above, in the extremes i have repulse, but in the middle there is attraction.

I'm already a month of research and experiencing nothing work, i would be very gratefull for any help.

Regards,
Rossonero

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to think about increasing the number of magnets, so that at any time there are enough magnets working to support the train.

Think of it like the electric trains - the power lines aren't continuous, but at any time at least one supply connection is touching them, preventing the train from ending up in a situation without power.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force field that surrounds a magnet or an electrical current. It is the region in space where magnetic forces can be detected.

2. How do maglev trains use magnetic fields?

Maglev trains use magnetic fields to levitate and propel the train above the tracks. Electromagnets on the train interact with the magnetic coils on the track to create a repulsive force that lifts the train and allows it to move forward.

3. What are the advantages of using maglev trains?

Maglev trains have several advantages over traditional trains. They can reach higher speeds, have lower maintenance costs, and produce no direct emissions. They are also quieter and smoother, providing a more comfortable ride for passengers.

4. Are there any limitations to maglev technology?

One limitation of maglev technology is the high initial cost of construction. Building the infrastructure for maglev trains can be expensive, which can make it difficult to implement on a large scale. Additionally, maglev trains are currently limited to certain types of terrain and cannot navigate steep gradients.

5. How is the safety of maglev trains ensured?

Maglev trains have several safety measures in place to ensure passenger safety. These include emergency brakes, collision avoidance systems, and constant monitoring of the track and train conditions. Additionally, the absence of physical contact between the train and the track reduces the risk of accidents due to derailment or track failures.