Magnetic Propulsion - Possible?

In summary, the Earth's magnetic field is not strong enough to support levitation using just one set of magnets. Additionally, the distortion caused by the Earth's magnetic field makes it even more difficult to achieve levitation. It is possible to levitate using magnets, but it would require a very strong magnet and another set of magnets or a support system. The concept of magnetic levitation using the Earth's magnetic field is not practical or feasible.
MBB
I am new to this forum, so please excuse my ignorance. I was thinking about how everything in the universe is round, right? Well, the Earth is made up of two magnetic poles. North pole, and south pole. It is what keeps the Earth stabilized. Is it possible to utilize round magnets for levitation against gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

1. Not everything in the universe is round.

2. The Earths magnetic field does not keep us stable.

3. Any magnet can be used to levitate against gravity, but you must have an opposing magnet / ferrous material to provide the attraction/repulsion force required.

See Maglev for an example of 'hovering' trains that use magnetic fields for near frictionless travel.

I'm not sure how you got from things being round to levitation, but it's something of a weird connection.

It is not practical, if even possible, to levitate just using the Earth's magnetic field and 1 set of magnets. You need 2 sets or something like a rail to use as support and such.

Drakkith said:
It is not practical, if even possible, to levitate just using the Earth's magnetic field and 1 set of magnets. You need 2 sets or something like a rail to use as support and such.

I think there's another thread floating around that talks about Earth's field and levitation, it shows it just isn't possible without an incredibly strong magnet on the vehicle (way beyond anything practical or we're capable of).

I would like to respond to this.

Magnetic levitation is possible only if the magnetic field being distorted(ie, the Earth's magnetic field) is such to be able to support the "levitating" magnet. That is, the distortion must NOT be too much, else levitation will not occur.

With our earth, the natural magnetic field is incredibly weak, thus it's distortion is very high when a magnet is in it's environment.
So high that levitation is impossble.

To make matters worse, a very strong magnet/electromagnet only increases the "negative" distortion of the local Earth's magnetic field, making it even LESS liikely to levitate.

I see what you are saying pallidin, and don't disagree, but just wanted to ask that if you had a large enough magnet would the force from a larger section of the Earth's magnetic field be able to hold something up as a whole? Even if it is distorting?

Drakkith said:
I see what you are saying pallidin, and don't disagree, but just wanted to ask that if you had a large enough magnet would the force from a larger section of the Earth's magnetic field be able to hold something up as a whole? Even if it is distorting?

A local Earth's magnetic field is unable to support, I would suppose, less than a fraction of one ounce, so-to-speak.

Think about in terms of energy - the energy in the Earth's magnetic field is about 0.001 J/m^3. That's the ballpark you've got to work with.

1. How does magnetic propulsion work?

Magnetic propulsion is a method of propulsion that uses the force of magnetism to move an object forward. It works by using a series of magnets and electric currents to create a magnetic field that interacts with the Earth's magnetic field, causing the object to move in a specific direction.

2. Is magnetic propulsion possible?

Yes, magnetic propulsion is possible and has been successfully used in various forms of transportation, such as maglev trains and spacecraft. However, it is still a developing technology and has limitations in terms of distance and speed.

3. What are the advantages of using magnetic propulsion?

Magnetic propulsion has several advantages, including its ability to achieve high speeds and its lack of reliance on fossil fuels. It is also more environmentally friendly and produces less noise compared to traditional propulsion methods.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using magnetic propulsion?

One of the main drawbacks of magnetic propulsion is its high cost of implementation. It also requires a specific infrastructure and may not be suitable for long-distance travel. Additionally, the magnetic fields used in this technology can be harmful to human health if not properly controlled.

5. What are the potential applications of magnetic propulsion?

Magnetic propulsion has a wide range of potential applications, including transportation, space exploration, and energy production. It can also be used in medical devices, such as magnetic levitation for drug delivery or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.