Evaluating Int. on V Along C Using Greens Theorem

In summary, Green's theorem can be used to evaluate line integrals when the integrand is of the form ∫ (M(x,y) dx + N(x,y) dy), and this is the case because ∂M/∂y = ∂N/∂x. In this case, we can also say that the force is conservative, meaning the work done around any closed path is 0.
imagemania

Homework Statement

V = (3y^2 - sin(x)) i +(6xy+√(y^4+1))j along teh closed path C defined by x^2 + y^2 =1, counterclockwise direction

Homework Equations

Greens Thoerem

The Attempt at a Solution

I am stuck on the limits part of the integration. I get so far into greens theorem to obtain:
∫∫ [6y√(y^4+1) -6y].dx.dy

But unsure how to go beyond this, i can't see any clear x or y limits. I could convert into polar, but that also looks very messy.

Any help/point in the right direction will be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Recheck your integrand. It looks complicated because you made a mistake.

The limits should be straightforward to get. Hint: What shape does the equation x2+y2=1 define?

Ohh i see where i made teh mistake. I now get within the integral 6y - 6y = 0.

Is this correct?

Yup. You could always do the line integral to verify. :)

I've just thought, if you had any path then, regardless of its involvement, this must always be zero if the force is still the same. Take the same force and the equation xi + cos(x) j clockwise and x ≤ |π/2 |and y = 0.

If this is true and any path results in zero work done, then do we simply call this a conservative force?

Green's theorem is a special case of Stoke's theorem, which says

[tex]\int_S (\nabla\times \mathbf{F})\cdot d\mathbf{A} = \oint_{\partial S} \mathbf{F}\cdot d\mathbf{r}[/tex]

A conservative force satisfies ∇xF = 0, so the integral around any closed path will be 0. In this case, by applying Green's theorem, you found ∇xF does indeed vanish, so yes, it's a conservative force.

Note you can also look at this problem as being of the form ∫ (M(x,y) dx + N(x,y) dy). Since you had ∂M/∂y = ∂N/∂x, the integrand is an exact differential, meaning you can, in principle, find a function Φ(x,y) such that dΦ = M(x,y) dx + N(x,y) dy. The function Φ is the potential energy function (to within a minus sign), which, again, exists because F is conservative.

1. What is "Evaluating Int. on V Along C Using Greens Theorem"?

"Evaluating Int. on V Along C Using Greens Theorem" is a mathematical concept that involves using Green's theorem to calculate a line integral in a vector field over a closed curve. It is commonly used in the field of mathematics and physics to solve problems involving vector fields and line integrals.

2. What is Green's theorem?

Green's theorem, also known as the divergence theorem, is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the line integral of a vector field over a closed curve to the double integral of the divergence of that vector field over the enclosed region. It is named after the mathematician George Green and is an essential tool for solving problems in electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and other areas of physics.

3. How is Green's theorem applied to evaluate integrals on a vector field along a closed curve?

To evaluate an integral on a vector field along a closed curve using Green's theorem, the first step is to rewrite the line integral as a double integral using the divergence theorem. Then, the region enclosed by the curve is divided into smaller subregions, and the double integral is evaluated over each subregion. Finally, the results from each subregion are added together to obtain the value of the original line integral.

4. What are some applications of "Evaluating Int. on V Along C Using Greens Theorem"?

"Evaluating Int. on V Along C Using Greens Theorem" has various applications in mathematics and physics. It is commonly used to calculate work done by a force in a vector field, finding the center of mass of a two-dimensional shape, and solving problems in electromagnetism and fluid dynamics. It is also used in computer graphics and image processing to calculate areas and volumes of complex shapes.

5. Are there any limitations to using Green's theorem to evaluate integrals?

Green's theorem can only be applied to evaluate integrals on a vector field over closed curves. It cannot be used for open curves or curves that intersect themselves. Additionally, the vector field must be continuous and have a continuous first derivative over the enclosed region. If these conditions are not met, Green's theorem may not provide an accurate result.