Riemannian Manifolds, John M. Lee

• Thread starter hansenscane
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Manifolds
In summary, Professor Jack Lee explains that the Chinese characters on the front cover of his book are the title and that they come from the Chinese edition, which is produced to combat piracy.
hansenscane
Does anyone know what the Asian characters on this book mean? Why are they there?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dear Professor Lee,

I am writing because I am intriqued by the Chinese characters on the front cover of your book Riemannian Manifolds: An Introduction to Curvature. I saw it on Amazon.com, but the image is too blury for me to read. Can you translate them for me?

Yours,
Jimmy Snyder

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Jimmy,

I think it's the title of the book. That image is from the Chinese edition; but if you order from Amazon.com you'll get the US edition. (Springer contracts with publishers in China to produce inexpensive reproductions of some of its books, in the hope that some people will buy them instead of buying pirated copies.) When I first saw that edition, I asked a Chinese friend what it said, and I'm pretty sure he said it was just the title.

Jack Lee

1. What is a Riemannian manifold?

A Riemannian manifold is a mathematical concept that combines the ideas of a manifold, which is a topological space that locally resembles Euclidean space, and a Riemannian metric, which is a way of measuring distances and angles on the manifold. Essentially, it is a smooth, curved space with a consistent way of measuring distances and angles at each point.

2. What is the significance of Riemannian manifolds?

Riemannian manifolds are important in many areas of mathematics and physics, including differential geometry, topology, and general relativity. They provide a framework for studying smooth, curved spaces and have applications in fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and machine learning.

3. Who is John M. Lee?

John M. Lee is a mathematician and professor at the University of Washington. He is a leading expert in the field of Riemannian geometry and has written several books, including "Riemannian Manifolds: An Introduction to Curvature" which is a widely used textbook in the subject.

4. What is the difference between a Riemannian manifold and a Euclidean space?

A Euclidean space is a flat, infinite, and homogeneous space, while a Riemannian manifold is a curved, finite, and possibly non-homogeneous space. In a Riemannian manifold, the distance between two points and the angle between two curves may vary depending on the point of measurement, whereas in a Euclidean space, these measurements are constant.

5. How are Riemannian manifolds used in physics?

Riemannian manifolds are essential in the theory of general relativity, which describes the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of matter and energy. In this theory, the universe is modeled as a four-dimensional Riemannian manifold, and the curvature of this manifold is related to the gravitational force. Riemannian manifolds are also used in other areas of physics, such as the study of black holes and cosmology.