Limits in complex numbers and functions

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling to solve limits involving complex numbers and functions. The first problem involves taking the limit of n multiplied by (1+i)/2^n as n approaches infinity. The second problem involves finding the limit of (sinz/z)(1/z^2) as z approaches 0. The third problem involves finding the limit of (z-e^i*pi/3) * (z/(z^3 + 1)) as z approaches e^i*pi/3. The conversation includes various strategies and hints for solving these problems, including using power series and factoring the denominator.
MATHMAN89

Homework Statement

1. I'm trying to figure out how to take limits involving i and complex functions f(z)

The first problem is as follows:

lim(n [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\infty[/itex] ) n*((1+i)/2))^n

The second is:

lim (z app. 0 ) of [tex](sinz/z)(1/z^2)[/tex]

The third is:

lim (z app. e^i*pi/3) of (z-e^i*pi/3) * (z/(z^3 + 1))

2. I have no idea how to get started on these. The first one seems to be divergent as I plugged in a few values for n and the expression kept getting larger.
For the second one, I know from real variabled calculus that lim (x app 0) of sinx/x is 1 but don't know how to use that in this problem.
The third one just seems crazy to me, but I do know that the denominator goes to 0 since we get cos pi + i sin pi = -1 and -1+1=0. We get 0/0 so need to use some tricks!

3. Any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They are all pretty different problems. For the first one, sure it's divergent. Can you prove it? For the second one take the log and use power series of sin(z) and log(1+z). For the third what's the limit of the denominator as z->exp(i*pi/3)? Give them another try.

Dick said:
They are all pretty different problems. For the first one, sure it's divergent. Can you prove it? For the second one take the log and use power series of sin(z) and log(1+z). For the third what's the limit of the denominator as z->exp(i*pi/3)? Give them another try.

Dick,

I had a small typo in the way I wrote question 1. It's supposed to be (1+i)/2 not 1+i/2 inside the parens. That doesn't change the fact that its divergent though, does it?
I was just a bit confused because I plugged it into wolfram alpha and it told me the answer was 0!

Dick said:

Ooh for the third one I get the den. is 0 since It's cos pi + i*sin pi which is -1. the problem is that z - e ^ ipi/3 goes to 0 as well so it's a 0/0 problem.

From real variables I learned a few ways to deal with that : taking logs of both sides was one of them. I don't see how that would work here though.

MATHMAN89 said:
Dick,

I had a small typo in the way I wrote question 1. It's supposed to be (1+i)/2 not 1+i/2 inside the parens. That doesn't change the fact that its divergent though, does it?
I was just a bit confused because I plugged it into wolfram alpha and it told me the answer was 0!

(1+i)/2 is different from 1+i/2 in an important way. What is that way? Think about real numbers, when is x^n divergent and when is it convergent?

MATHMAN89 said:
Dick,

The first one is convergent. Try to find the modulus of

[tex]n((1+i)/2)^n[/tex]

MATHMAN89 said:
Ooh for the third one I get the den. is 0 since It's cos pi + i*sin pi which is -1. the problem is that z - e ^ ipi/3 goes to 0 as well so it's a 0/0 problem.

From real variables I learned a few ways to deal with that : taking logs of both sides was one of them. I don't see how that would work here though.

Let's try and talk about these one at a time. You just changed the third one as well. Can you factor (z^3-1) over the complex numbers? You probably can figure out the three roots. And take the log of the second one anyway without worrying about the details for now.

Dick said:
Let's try and talk about these one at a time. You just changed the third one as well. Can you factor (z^3-1) over the complex numbers? You probably can figure out the three roots. And take the log of the second one anyway without worrying about the details for now.

Yes, Dick. Sorry for not writing the problems out correctly at first. They're all written correctly now.

I know that the three roots of z^3-1=0 are e^2i*pi/3, e^4i*pi/3, e^2i*pi

Dick said:
(1+i)/2 is different from 1+i/2 in an important way. What is that way? Think about real numbers, when is x^n divergent and when is it convergent?

Convergent when 0 ≤ x ≤ 1

And if we take abs ((1+i)/2) = sqrt (2)/2 < 1 so it is convergent.

MATHMAN89 said:
Convergent when 0 ≤ x ≤ 1

And if we take abs ((1+i)/2) = sqrt (2)/2 < 1 so it is convergent.

Convergent to 0, right? Do you see why that applies to complex numbers as well as reals?

Dick said:
Convergent to 0, right? Do you see why that applies to complex numbers as well as reals?

Yes, I see why, since the modulus is less than 1. but we then get a limit of the form infinity * 0.

MATHMAN89 said:
Yes, Dick. Sorry for not writing the problems out correctly at first. They're all written correctly now.

I know that the three roots of z^3-1=0 are e^2i*pi/3, e^4i*pi/3, e^2i*pi

Sorry, I meant z^3+1 not z^3-1. That's what you have in the problem.

I have an idea.

Could I rewrite the first problem as (n^1/n*(1+i)/2)^n and then take the log

Dick said:
Sorry, I meant z^3+1 not z^3-1. That's what you have in the problem.

In that case it's e^i*pi/3, e^i*pi, e^i*5pi/3
so the first term cancels with one of the factors of the denominator! brilliant.

Dick said:
Why? |z^n|=|z|^n. If |z|<1 then |z|^n converges to 0. So so does z^n, yes?

Yes, Dick. Agreed on that point that ((1+i)/n) converges to 0. However, I still have the problem of the n on the outside.

MATHMAN89 said:
Yes, Dick. Agreed on that point that ((1+i)/n) converges to 0. However, I still have the problem of the n on the outside.

Yeah, I keep forgetting you changed it. Sorry. This is all getting kind of confusing. The usual way to deal with a infinity*0 problem is to use l'Hopital's theorem, right? Complex numbers aren't that different from reals. Pretend the problem is n*(1/2)^n.

Dick said:
Yeah, I keep forgetting you changed it. Sorry. This is all getting kind of confusing. The usual way to deal with a infinity*0 problem is to use l'Hopital's theorem, right? Complex numbers aren't that different from reals. Pretend the problem is n*(1/2)^n.

Aha, OK. I've got the first one now. Thank you so much.

I don't see how I get log(1+z) for the second one, though.

MATHMAN89 said:
Aha, OK. I've got the first one now. Thank you so much.

I don't see how I get log(1+z) for the second one, though.

Use power series. What's the power series expansion of sin(z)/z?

Dick said:
Use power series. What's the power series expansion of sin(z)/z?

sinz/z = 1 -z^2/2 +z^4/4! ... = cos z right?

Still not sure how that gets me at my answer.

MATHMAN89 said:
sinz/z = 1 -z^2/2 +z^4/4! ... = cos z right?

Noo. Take the series for sin(z) and divide by z. Your factorials are wrong and it isn't cos(z).

MATHMAN89 said:
Still not sure how that gets me at my answer.

Take the log of (sin(z)/z)^(1/z^2). Expand everything in powers. Take the limit as z->0. You'll see how it works if you do it.

Dick said:
Take the log of (sin(z)/z)^(1/z^2). Expand everything in powers. Take the limit as z->0. You'll see how it works if you do it.

I did this but I still get something like e^ infinity*0

so do I use L'hopital's rule here?

MATHMAN89 said:
I did this but I still get something like e^ infinity*0

so do I use L'hopital's rule here?

It's hard for me to tell what you did. Start from log((sin(z)/z)^(1/z^2)).

Dick said:
It's hard for me to tell what you did. Start from log((sin(z)/z)^(1/z^2)).

Hi Dick,

I know how to do this problem in the real numbers, I use L' Hopital's rule twice and eventually get that the limit is e^-1/6.

Do I need to do the problem differently, though, since z = x + iy ?
If so, do I start with assuming x is 0 and then taking the limit as y approaches zero and then assume y is 0 and take the limit as x approaches 0 to find the real and complex parts of my answer?

MATHMAN89 said:
Hi Dick,

I know how to do this problem in the real numbers, I use L' Hopital's rule twice and eventually get that the limit is e^-1/6.

Do I need to do the problem differently, though, since z = x + iy ?
If so, do I start with assuming x is 0 and then taking the limit as y approaches zero and then assume y is 0 and take the limit as x approaches 0 to find the real and complex parts of my answer?

The more 'complex' way to do this is expanding the function in terms of power series in z. Then letting z->0. It would probably be instructive to do it that way too. Of course, you'll get the same answer.

Dick said:
The more 'complex' way to do this is expanding the function in terms of power series in z. Then letting z->0. It would probably be instructive to do it that way too. Of course, you'll get the same answer.

AHA! got it! Thanks

MATHMAN89 said:
In that case it's e^i*pi/3, e^i*pi, e^i*5pi/3
so the first term cancels with one of the factors of the denominator! brilliant.

So I am left with
z/((z-ei*pi)(z-e5i*pi/3)
How can I evaluate this when I plug in? Just use Euler?

MATHMAN89 said:
So I am left with
z/((z-ei*pi)(z-e5i*pi/3)

Sure. Just use Euler. If it were up to me, I wouldn't really care much if you simplified it or not. But I'm not your teacher.

MATHMAN89 said:
So I am left with
z/((z-ei*pi)(z-e5i*pi/3)

I think I got it.
I ended up with
(1-i√3)/6
Sound right?? Should be if I did all the calculations right.

MATHMAN89 said:
I think I got it.
I ended up with
(1-i√3)/6
Sound right?? Should be if I did all the calculations right.

That looks like what I got.

Just checked on WOLFRAM. Correct! VICTORY!

1. What is a limit in complex numbers and functions?

A limit in complex numbers and functions is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function or sequence as the input approaches a particular value. It determines the value that a function or sequence "approaches" but may not necessarily reach.

2. How is a limit in complex numbers and functions calculated?

The limit of a complex function is calculated by evaluating the function at points approaching the input value from both sides. If the values approach the same value, then that value is the limit. If they approach different values, then the limit does not exist.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function or sequence as the input approaches the given value from one direction, either the left or the right. A two-sided limit takes into account the behavior from both directions and requires that the values approach the same value in order for the limit to exist.

4. What is the purpose of finding limits in complex numbers and functions?

The main purpose of finding limits in complex numbers and functions is to determine the behavior of a function or sequence as the input approaches a particular value. This information is useful in understanding the properties and behavior of functions, as well as in solving problems in calculus and other areas of mathematics.

5. Can a limit in complex numbers and functions be infinite?

Yes, a limit in complex numbers and functions can be infinite. This occurs when the values of the function or sequence approach positive or negative infinity as the input approaches a particular value. In this case, the limit does not exist in the traditional sense, but it is still a useful concept in understanding the behavior of the function or sequence.