Intensity of sound and finding distance from sound source

In summary, the sound intensity at two points along a line from a certain source is measured, with a separation of 11.8 m between the points. The sound level at the first point is 68.10 dB and at the second point is 60.31 dB. To find the distance from the source to the first point, you can use the equation I1/I2 = (r1+d)^2/r1^2, where I1 and I2 are the sound intensities at the two points, r1 is the distance to the first point, and d is the distance between the points. Solving for r1 gives a distance of 8.48 meters from the first point to the source.
leinad0213
The intensity of the sound from a certain source is measured at two points along a line from the source. The points are separated by 11.8 m, the sound level is 68.10 dB at the first point and 60.31 dB at the second point. How far is the source from the first point?

Know:
I = P/A = Ps/(4*pi*r^2)
SL = 10log(I/Io)

Io = 1*10^-12 W/m^2

Using these equations I found both I(1) and I(2) which turned out to be I(1) = 6.46 * 10^-6 and I(2) = 1.07 * 10^-6. Each of these equal P/(4*pi*r^2) except for I(2), r = r1+d where d=11.8m. I put I(1)/I(2) which canceled out P and made it [(r1+1.8)^2]/(r1^2). When I expand and solve, the answer I get is incorrect. Am I missing some detail for solving this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
The correct answer is 8.48 meters from the first point. To solve this problem, you need to use the fact that sound intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. In other words, the sound intensity at a certain point will be inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. Therefore, you can set up the following equation: I1/I2 = (r1+d)^2/r1^2 Where I1 is the sound intensity at the first point, I2 is the sound intensity at the second point, r1 is the distance from the source to the first point, and d is the distance between the two points. Solving this equation for r1 will give you the answer.

1. What is the relationship between intensity of sound and distance from the sound source?

The intensity of sound decreases as the distance from the sound source increases. This is because sound waves spread out in all directions, causing the energy to be distributed over a larger area as it travels further away from the source.

2. How is the intensity of sound measured?

The intensity of sound is measured in decibels (dB). This is a logarithmic scale that compares the sound pressure level to the threshold of human hearing. The higher the decibel level, the louder the sound.

3. Can intensity of sound be affected by the environment?

Yes, the intensity of sound can be affected by various environmental factors such as temperature, humidity, and air pressure. These factors can affect the speed at which sound travels, resulting in a change in intensity.

4. How can you calculate the distance from a sound source based on its intensity?

The inverse square law can be used to calculate the distance from a sound source based on its intensity. This law states that the intensity of sound is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. By measuring the intensity of sound at a known distance, the distance from the source can be calculated.

5. How accurate is the method of using intensity of sound to find distance from a source?

The accuracy of this method depends on various factors such as the accuracy of the sound measuring equipment, the environmental conditions, and any obstructions in the path of the sound. Overall, it can provide a rough estimate of the distance but may not be completely accurate.