Neutrino speed thread moderation

• Thread starter Vanadium 50
  • Start date
In summary, the moderators removed hundreds of posts that were either off topic or repetitious. They also deleted posts that were not about the neutrino speed. Some users criticized the moderators for leaving too much of the posts untouched.
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2023 Award
I have just done a massive cleanup of this thread.

I removed hundreds of messages that were either:

• Overly speculative
  • Off-topic
  • Repeats of points previously raised.
  • Discussions of the "is not! is too!" variety.

Physics news on Phys.org

Vanadium 50 said:
I have just done a massive cleanup of this thread.

I removed hundreds of messages that were either:

• Overly speculative
  • Off-topic
  • Repeats of points previously raised.
  • Discussions of the "is not! is too!" variety.

Do you completely deleted other messages, or put them in some kind of archive?
Personally I intended to copy all of them, because most of them contain some interesting points and simply deleting is not wise.

Unfortunately, I do not know how to do it at ones: thread tools "Show Printable version" shows only current page and saving 74 pages requires huge amount of time, which I don't have. If you know how to do this pls explain.

Actually, I do not agree with you, there were no much "speculations" in this thread. And even the results of neutrino speed wasn't originally published in peer-reviewed journals, this, if it will be proven (!), is definitely Nobel's prize result. Chance for this is low (personally my opinion!), but the discussions of such challenging experiments are very useful for a new generation of physicists.

Massive deletion is definitively a lack of respect for all those people who contributed with good faith to the discussion.

I am gobsmacked by the arrogance of the moderators here. At the very least an archive should have been created. Some minimal warning would also have been a COMMON COURTESY. There are a number of posts that I want to download and study. There is plenty of real talent amongst the contributors where a useful synopsis of the discussion could have been made to replace the lengthy thread, and I am sure there are plenty of talented people here capable of making one. Your actions are a disgrace and you have just alienated a large proportion of your target audience, if indeed you have any idea what that is.

Read through what was left, comment later. Most of the discussion was off topic and consisted of constant repetition of the same questions and answers over and over again, not to mention cranky comments. Many users were criticizing us for leaving too much of those posts untouched. Apparently it is impossible to please everyone.

Deleted posts are still in the database, they were not deleted permanently.

Un-lurking to say thank you for removing the crackpots and others. This is a serious science site after all, and it's hard to read and learn stuff if the signal to noise ratio is too high. Of course now the mods have to delete this too for being offtopic, but that's fine. I just want them to know at least some of us support them on this.

I completely agree, Kaonyx. They have managed to irritate a lot of readers, and has caused that many people won't post anymore. It is my personal decision that I will not contribute with any more Physics commentaries. And rorix_bw, if you call me crackpot by proposing a common sense idea which may be legitimate, well, it is your right, as well as it is my right to say that the publicity mass media circus of CERN-Gran Sasso is so red-facing that if the results are disproved, any CERN funding should be removed immediately. We are involved in a serious economical crisis, and we don't need to waste money on people who don't know how to measure a distance.

Actually I relish problems with broken software systems, they represent an opportunity for something better. As a software developer and designer, this episode (and others I have experienced here) lead me to suggest that the PF model is in fact badly broken. It all needs to be brought forward into the 21st century. Even a kind of Wiki associated with a discussion, that summarises the progress of the discussion, on an ongoing basis would be an improvement, so that when somebody finds the thread, the first thing could then do is to go to the wiki to catchup. Moderators need clear job descriptions, which are plainly lacking at present. Contributors need some way of declaring themselves wrt their background and knowledge. The value of participating in a highly technical discussion is immense from an educational perspective, and I think contributors would be happy to declare themselves if there was a mechanism. I am reminded of the world of chess where grandmasters coexist happily with wood-pushers without this antagonistic atmosphere. Beginners are always encouraged and mentored, not dismissed and ridiculed. I would be happy to know how much credibility to give to a posting.
A mechanism of peer moderation by other members would operate by tagging posts wrt the wiki. This old fashioned vBulletin system needs a bit of social engineering, there are good models for voting posts up in rankings, or liking them etc. In short anything would be infinitely preferable to the current autocratic censorship model that devalues the educational process.

kaonyx said:
I am gobsmacked by the arrogance of the moderators here. At the very least an archive should have been created. Some minimal warning would also have been a COMMON COURTESY. There are a number of posts that I want to download and study.

The easiest way is maybe to print or save anything you find important at once, nothing is forever (they say).

However if there’s a post where you remember some of the content and/or username, it should be fairly easy for you to obtain that thru http://www.googleguide.com/cached_pages.html". Use this search:

site:physicsforums.com "Re: CERN team claims measurement of neutrino speed >c" [username] [content]

And then click on the link Cached (under the 'main link' in the result). Voila!

Now maybe your friend deuticomet could also calm down a bit... :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

You can delete mine, as well, especially since the OP was drawn from the popular press with NO detailed analysis. Of course that would leave me ineligible for the fabulous cash prizes.

I sound like Rain Man.

I hope there is some way to memorialize "A Brief History of Mite" with accompanying picture. I see it is gone. Funniest post in all pf PF that I've seen so far.

DevilsAvocado said:
The easiest way is maybe to print or save anything you find important at once, nothing is forever (they say).

However if there’s a post where you remember some of the content and/or username, it should be fairly easy for you to obtain that thru http://www.googleguide.com/cached_pages.html". Use this search:

site:physicsforums.com "Re: CERN team claims measurement of neutrino speed >c" [username] [content]

And then click on the link Cached (under the 'main link' in the result). Voila!

Now maybe your friend deuticomet could also calm down a bit... :smile:

I was about to suggest wayback machine, but for some reason it has not crawled PF since July of this year.

By the way, if the moderators have the right to massively delete our posts,
do we have, by reciprocity, the right to remove our own posts, or are they the property of the PF?

From PF rules:
"Neither member accounts nor a member's posts will be deleted on demand. It is up to the discretion of the forum owners and admins. Posts are for everyone's benefit and should be thought of as permanent."
Borek, you seemed to imply that the massive deletion had been performed due to users complains (including mentors), IOW, on demand. I'm not sure that agrees with PF rules as they are written.

TrickyDicky said:
Borek, you seemed to imply that the massive deletion had been performed due to users complains (including mentors), IOW, on demand. I'm not sure that agrees with PF rules as they are written.

It wasn't on demand. People were complaining about the discussion in general, not about single posts (although some posts were reported as they were breaking forum rules - but these were deleted on the fly, not now).

PF is what it is because of the moderating policies enforced, not despite of the moderating policy.

GPS accuracy discussion was started several times, and each time it was repeating the same arguments ad nauseam.

Sagnac effect was mentioned early in the thread and estimated as way too low to explain 60 ns difference. It didn't stop identical discussion to repeat over and over again.

There were many more similar problems.

What Vanadium did was aimed at cleaning the discussion from repeated claims and explanations and from off topic side discussions which made the thread impossible to follow.

Please note this discussion is again off topic - I am going to move OT posts to Feedback subforum.

Last edited:
[Borek finished his reply before I did.]

TrickyDicky said:
"Neither member accounts nor a member's posts will be deleted on demand. It is up to the discretion of the forum owners and admins. Posts are for everyone's benefit and should be thought of as permanent."

That rule was intended to apply to people asking us to remove their own posts. We have a special problem with this in the homework help forums, because people sometimes ask us to remove their questions and the answers that they have gotten, perhaps because they don't want their classmates to see them, or they were cheating on a test.

In general, people may request that posts be deleted. It is solely up to us to decide whether to actually do it (unless of course Greg gets a court order or something :smile:). And we reserve the right to clean up redundant, distracting and inappropriate posts in this manner, on our own initiative.

Last edited:
Just for the record:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380"
Overly Speculative Posts:
One of the main goals of PF is to help students learn the current status of physics as practiced by the scientific community; accordingly, Physicsforums.com strives to maintain high standards of academic integrity. There are many open questions in physics, and we welcome discussion on those subjects provided the discussion remains intellectually sound. It is against our Posting Guidelines to discuss, in the PF forums or in blogs, new or non-mainstream theories or ideas that have not been published in professional peer-reviewed journals or are not part of current professional mainstream scientific discussion. Non-mainstream or personal theories will be deleted. Unfounded challenges of mainstream science and overt crackpottery will not be tolerated anywhere on the site. Linking to obviously "crank" or "crackpot" sites is prohibited.

[my bolding]

PAllen said:
I hope there is some way to memorialize "A Brief History of Mite" with accompanying picture. I see it is gone. Funniest post in all pf PF that I've seen so far.

Thanks PAllen!

Nothing is forever but http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?hl=en&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=60l893l0l1915l3l3l0l0l0l0l225l425l1.1.1l3l0&q=cache:TyhepiqAifgJ:https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3528018+%22I%E2%80%99m+going+to+write+a+new+beast-seller%22&ct=clnk" . :smile:

PAllen said:
I was about to suggest wayback machine, but for some reason it has not crawled PF since July of this year.

The machine is probably banned by some very cruel moderator... :grumpy:

(:biggrin:)

DevilsAvocado said:
Nothing is forever but http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?hl=en&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=60l893l0l1915l3l3l0l0l0l0l225l425l1.1.1l3l0&q=cache:TyhepiqAifgJ:https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3528018+%22I%E2%80%99m+going+to+write+a+new+beast-seller%22&ct=clnk" . :smile:

Sep28-11, 12:29 PM - that's the information that will help to dig the post in future, without a need to read everything again.

The moderators have made a very good decision on this. It will keep the discussion scientific and academic. Repeating the same arguments in a thread is simply annoying.

"Sagnac effect was mentioned early in the thread and estimated as way too low to explain 60 ns difference. It didn't stop identical discussion to repeat over and over again."

That is the problem. You ineptly confused my idea (which was independently written by Kaonyx later) with the Sagnac effect.

I believed that the moderators were fluent in Physics or physicists themselves. My mistake.

The mod actions that took place are in accordance with the guidelines. If you have a sincere grievance with staff actions, then let them be known in a professional manner. We will listen to you, but will not debate our actions.

Last edited:
I for one would like to take a few seconds and express my gratitude for the enormous workload the moderators take on themselves to make this place so special. The expectations of many among us users depend on their benevolence, and I believe the majority of us recognize this service for its essential role.

Borek said:
Sep28-11, 12:29 PM - that's the information that will help to dig the post in future, without a need to read everything again.

Thanks Borek, "Sep28-11, 12:29 PM" works just fine.

humanino said:
I for one would like to take a few seconds and express my gratitude for the enormous workload the moderators take on themselves to make this place so special. The expectations of many among us users depend on their benevolence, and I believe the majority of us recognize this service for its essential role.

Agreed 100%, without this help we would very soon run into wackocalypse...

Thanks!

DevilsAvocado said:
Thanks Borek, "Sep28-11, 12:29 PM" works just fine.

Ok, how do you find it using this information? I tried several ways of searching the forum using this date, to no avail.

There is no proffesional manner of protesting an action which was not justified, completely arbitrary and with clear oblivion from the moderatos. From my own personal expertise, the Sagnac effect, which was commented, did not deserved to be published in the first place. In fact, it was one of my first back-of-the-envelope checks, along with general relativity issues. Supressing the commentary of this other effect and with no possibility of recovery is, IMHO, a mistake, and very unrespectful.

PAllen said:
Ok, how do you find it using this information? I tried several ways of searching the forum using this date, to no avail.
What are you searching for?

PAllen said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear. You don't - mods and admins can use it to locate deleted posts. It is much faster to browse them when you know when something was posted.

As I explained earlier - posts where not physically deleted, they are just hidden from mere mortals.

deuticomet said:
There is no proffesional manner of protesting an action which was not justified, completely arbitrary and with clear oblivion from the moderatos.

It was not arbitrary; that is the point. Please re-read the Rules link at the top of the page. You agreed to abide by those rules in your posts here on the PF.

Please remember that this thread is not for making new posts on the Cern topic, those should go in that thread if they are appropriate.

Thanks.

PAllen said:

Ah sorry, my fault... :blushing:

I thought Borek was talking about my http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?hl=en&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=60l893l0l1915l3l3l0l0l0l0l225l425l1.1.1l3l0&q=cache:TyhepiqAifgJ:https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3528018+%22I%E2%80%99m+going+to+write+a+new+beast-seller%22&ct=clnk" and using Google’s cache (post #9 and #20), but he wasn’t. Anyway, it did work because the string was unique enough to take you to the right place, i.e. once you know it...

But it doesn’t work anymore since now I have typed "Sep28-11, 12:29 PM" several times... :redface:

Check out post #9 on how to do it properly.

I suppose there might be a few deleted post that one could argue over, but I for one would like to thank the mods for taking the time (non-trivial, I'm sure) to clean up what was clearly a thread run amuck and getting it back to readability. I got VERY tired of wading through the extreme repetition and occasional crackpottery.

I approve of this thread.

On a more serious note, every time I went back to that thread, I would see new people asking THE SAME QUESTIONS or posing the SAME (wrong) SOLUTIONS. People blame the mods for deleting repetitive posts and say it's "disrespectful" (ha!), but as Vanadium constantly noted in the thread, the actual disrespectful acts were people who didn't bother to read the thread for answers to their questions.

The trouble is that any really likely answer to the question is going to require some speculation. Eliminate the impossible and the plausible, no matter how strange, is likely the answer.

Question: Did you delete my last contribution to the thread? It doesn't show up in my list of posts.

Last edited: