Calculating Power Output Change in Solar Panel Angle and Time

• Thread starter IntegrateMe
  • Start date
In summary, we used the chain rule to find the change in power output between two angles, and then used the equation from part (B) to find the change in power output in watts.
IntegrateMe
The power output of a particular type of solar panel varies with the angle of the sun shining on the panel. The panel outputs P (θ) watts when the angle between the sun and the panel is θ for 0 ≤ θ ≤ π. On a typical summer day in Ann Arbor, the angle between a properly mounted panel and the sun t hours after 6 a.m. is θ(t) for 0 ≤ t ≤ 14. Assume that sunrise is at 6 a.m. and sunset is 8 p.m.

(A) Calculate dP/dt using the chain rule, and give interpretations for each part of your calculation.

P(θ(t)). So, dP/dt = P(θ(t))' = P'(θ(t)) * θ'(t)
P'(θ(t)) is the average rate of change of power with respect to θ.
θ'(t) is the average rate of change of θ with respect to t.

(B) Suppose θ(t) = arcsin(t/7 -1) + π/2. Calculate θ'(t) using the equivalent expression: sin(θ(t) - π/2) = t/7 - 1

I just differentiated the equivalent function:

cos(θ(t) - π/2)*θ'(t) = 1/7
θ'(t) = 1/(7*cos(θ(t) - π/2))

(C) Suppose dP/dθ (2π/3) = 12 and θ(t) is the function in part (B). Find the change in power output between 4:30PM and 5:30PM.

This is where I'm having trouble. I would think the "change in power output" would simply be dP/dθ, since this represents the change in power with respect to θ, but I feel as though I'm incorrect here. Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

To find the change in power output between 4:30PM and 5:30PM, we need to use the chain rule again. We know that θ(t) is the angle between the sun and the panel at time t, and we are given that θ(t) = arcsin(t/7 -1) + π/2. So, at 4:30PM, t = 10.5. We can plug this into our function to find θ(10.5) = arcsin(3/14) + π/2. This gives us the angle at 4:30PM.

To find the angle at 5:30PM, we need to find θ(11.5) = arcsin(4/14) + π/2. Now, we can use the chain rule to find the change in power output between these two angles:

dP/dθ (2π/3) = P'(θ(11.5)) * θ'(11.5) - P'(θ(10.5)) * θ'(10.5)
12 = P'(π/3) * θ'(11.5) - P'(π/4) * θ'(10.5)

Now, we can solve for θ'(11.5) and θ'(10.5) using the equation we found in part (B). Once we have these values, we can plug them back into the equation above to find the change in power output between 4:30PM and 5:30PM. This will give us the change in power output in watts.

What does it mean to "check my solutions"?

Checking solutions refers to verifying the correctness of a proposed answer or solution to a problem. It involves reviewing the steps taken to arrive at the solution and ensuring that they are accurate and logical.

Why is it important to have someone else check my solutions?

Having someone else check your solutions can help identify any errors or mistakes that you may have missed. It also allows for different perspectives and can lead to improvements in your problem-solving process.

Who should I ask to check my solutions?

It is best to ask someone who is knowledgeable and experienced in the subject or topic at hand to check your solutions. This could be a teacher, tutor, or colleague.

What should I do when someone finds an error in my solutions?

If someone finds an error in your solutions, it is important to listen to their feedback and understand where the mistake was made. This will help you improve your problem-solving skills and avoid similar errors in the future.

Is it considered cheating to have someone else check my solutions?

No, it is not considered cheating to have someone else check your solutions. In fact, it is a common practice in the scientific community to have peers review and provide feedback on research and solutions.