Small software upgrade next wednesday

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the site will be down for approx. 1 hour for a software update. Everything should be back to normal afterwards. Be patient, and remember to check the blog for updates or check the map for fire drill information.
We'll be performing a much needed upgrade. Nothing major will change. It's mostly bug and security fixes. You might notice a few small changes here and there, but the style of the site will be all the same. We're confident most functions will operate as normal. Some of our custom work might need to be tweaked a little and we appreciate patience. The site will likely be down for appox. 1 hour. I'll bump this as a reminder on tuesday. thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
PM count previous to update... 3 ( :frown: )

The bar has been set.

Greg Bernhardt said:
We'll be performing a much needed upgrade. Nothing major will change. It's mostly bug and security fixes. You might notice a few small changes here and there, but the style of the site will be all the same. We're confident most functions will operate as normal. Some of our custom work might need to be tweaked a little and we appreciate patience. The site will likely be down for appox. 1 hour. I'll bump this as a reminder on tuesday. thanks!

This could easily be the famous last words out of Greg.

:)

Zz.

Greg Bernhardt said:

Oh, my God ... that's almost as scary as the phrase "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you"

Wednesday doesn't work for me.

Which hour? I'll have to make sure I'm either asleep or sedated to avoid the panic that will no doubt ensue from being denied my constant drip feed of a PF fix

phinds said:
Oh, my God ... that's almost as scary as the phrase "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you"

ok how about this then... THE WORLD IS ENDING TOMORROW!

What? Does that mean PF is going down?

Greg Bernhardt said:
ok how about this then... THE WORLD IS ENDING TOMORROW!
Hey, isn't that fringe science? We only deal with mainstream end-of-the-world theories here :tongue:

Ok, seriously. Where are we going to meet while it's down? We blew it last couple of minor-software-updates-that-won't-have-any-negative-effects.

Here's a map I whipped up for tomorrow's fire drill. Hopefully it will help reduce chaos for future emergencies.

Be gentle; I was on my laptop without a mouse so I had to use the trackpad.

pfupgrades.jpg

Greg Bernhardt said:
End of the world will happen around 3pm CST.

"CST" ? What's that in REAL time :smile:

phinds said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_time_zone_abbreviations"

Last edited by a moderator:
dembadon said:
here's a map i whipped up for tomorrow's fire drill. Hopefully it will help reduce chaos for future emergencies.

be gentle; i was on my laptop without a mouse so i had to use the trackpad.

pfupgrades.jpg
lol.

Ryan_m_b said:

Ryan, you are losing your sense of humor

phinds said:
Ryan, you are losing your sense of humor
*sigh, I really should pay attention more rather than trying to be helpful :tongue2:

Best of luck to PF team for the upgrade :-)

phinds said:

Ryan_m_b said:

Perfect. Just perfect.

CST Central Standard Time (North America) UTC−06
CST China Standard Time UTC+08
CST Central Standard Time (Australia) UTC+09:30

Borek said:
Perfect. Just perfect.

They need to add CPF time. :devil:

Borek said:
Perfect. Just perfect.

well,since the US is using China's money, I'm assuming we're going to use China's time. :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
End of the world will happen around 3pm CST.
phinds said:
Borek said:
Perfect. Just perfect.

So the world will end at either GMT: 9pm, 7am or 5.30am. Good to know.

For the addicts who can't live without PF: http://us3.chatzy.com/66236398987587

Less than an hour to go! :uhh:

jtbell said:
Less than an hour to go! :uhh:

That's finally something unambiguous.

Change to upgrade timeline. I'll look into upgrading it tomorrow at 12:30 AM CST.

Wait. What? I thought it happened already and we were in the clear...

Oh noes!

Seriously... you guys can last an hour without PhysicsForum. Do something out of the ordinary... make love to your wife, walk to the park (maybe even in the middle of the night?), clean the floors with your toothbrush. Endlessssss possibilities. But only those allowable by Quantum Mechanics.

StevieTNZ said:
Seriously... you guys can last an hour without PhysicsForum. Do something out of the ordinary... make love to your wife, walk to the park (maybe even in the middle of the night?), clean the floors with your toothbrush. Endlessssss possibilities. But only those allowable by Quantum Mechanics.

You, sir, have obviously never experienced PF withdrawals. I'm open for suggestions on how to accomplish anyone of your activities1 while convulsing.

1 With the exception of using my toothbrush to clean the floors. :yuck:

We always used to do software updates on Fridays.

Then we got an "accident prone" programmer on the team, and we changed to doing them on Thursday, so if something went wrong we had Friday to fix it before it screwed up the weekend's computing.

But one day wasn't always enough to fix the problems, so we changed to doing updates on Wednesdays ...

... and eventually, we got back to doing them on Fridays, and working two 16-hour days on Saturday and Sunday to clean up the mess.

Then somebody had a better idea, and we recommended the accident-prone guy for fast-track promotion into management. Problem solved, permamently.

Haha, nope! I'm not worried about the short outage. I will survive - I have many other things to do than sit at the computer. :-p

Dembadon said:
You, sir, have obviously never experienced PF withdrawals. I'm open for suggestions on how to accomplish anyone of your activities1 while convulsing.

1 With the exception of using my toothbrush to clean the floors. :yuck:

You could always make love to a blow up doll... - they can't get pregnant, too. (realised that earlier)