Convert ppm to mg/L - Calculate Grams of A Needed

• Thread starter Cypher49
  • Start date
In summary, A is a powder that is soluble in water and produces C when in contact. For every gram of A, 10% is converted to C. To achieve a concentration of 0.5ppm of C in 20 liters of water, 100mg of A is needed. This was confirmed by another person, who also found the wording of the question confusing.
Cypher49

Homework Statement

A is a stable powder
B is water
C is the product of the powder being in contact with water.

A is soluble in substance B and for every gram of A 10% is C.

For a concentration of 0.5ppm of C in twenty liters of water how many grams of A do you need?

The Attempt at a Solution

I went on the assumption that ppm=mg/l.
So 0.5ppm=0.5mg/l, and I would need 10mg for the twenty liters
Which means that I would need 100mg of A.

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cypher49 said:
I would need 100mg of A.

Is this correct?

That would be my answer as well, although I find the wording of the question confusing.

Thanks for the confirmation, I'm just replying to say that 100mg was indeed the correct answer.

If you don't mind me asking, how did the wording confuse you?

If 0.1g of A reacted with water, what is mass of the product? Again 0.1g? Not impossible, but counterintuitive, at least to me.

Yes, your calculation is correct. To convert from ppm to mg/L, you simply multiply by 1. This means that 0.5ppm is equivalent to 0.5mg/L. Since you want to know how many grams of A are needed for 20 liters of water, you need to convert mg/L to grams by multiplying by the volume (20 liters). This gives you a total of 10mg of A needed. However, since only 10% of A becomes C, you will need 10 times that amount, which is 100mg of A. Keep in mind that this is just a rough estimate and the actual amount of A needed may vary depending on the solubility and other factors. It is always best to double check your calculations and make sure they make sense in the context of the problem.

1. How do I convert parts per million (ppm) to milligrams per liter (mg/L)?

To convert ppm to mg/L, you first need to identify the substance you are working with and its molecular weight. Then, use the following formula: mg/L = (ppm x molecular weight) / 1000. This will give you the amount of the substance in milligrams per liter.

2. Can I use the same formula for any substance?

No, the formula for converting ppm to mg/L is specific to each substance because it depends on the molecular weight of the substance. Make sure to use the correct molecular weight for the substance you are working with.

3. What if I only have the concentration in grams per cubic meter (g/m3)?

To convert from g/m3 to mg/L, you can use the following formula: mg/L = (g/m3 x 1000) / density. The density of the substance can usually be found in a reference table or calculated using its molecular weight.

4. How do I calculate the grams of a substance needed to achieve a certain concentration in mg/L?

To calculate the grams of a substance needed, you can rearrange the formula for converting ppm to mg/L. It becomes: grams = (mg/L x volume in liters) / molecular weight. This will give you the amount of the substance in grams that is needed to achieve a certain concentration in mg/L.

5. Is there a faster way to convert ppm to mg/L?

Yes, you can use an online ppm to mg/L converter or a scientific calculator that has a conversion function. Simply input the ppm value and the molecular weight of the substance, and it will give you the corresponding mg/L value.