Taking a number to a complex number power

In summary, the conversation discussed how to compute the expression 2^(it) where t is a real number, and also how to compute powers that are not integers. It was mentioned that 2^(3.14) can be written as exp(3.14(log2)), and that \pi is not a rational number but there is a sequence of rational numbers that converge to it. The formula 2^a= e^(a ln(2)) was also suggested for calculating these expressions. There was also a question about where to find more information about the sequence that converges to \pi.
ucbugrad
How do you compute the following?

2it where t is a real number

while I am at it, how do you compute powers that are not integers

ie: 23.14

Mathematics news on Phys.org
2^(it) = exp(it(log2)) = exp(i(tlog2)) = cos(tlog2) + isin(tlog2)

I guess we would define

2^(3.14) = exp(3.14(log2))

I'm not sure if i could write it in any other way, and i doubt i could compute that in my head but they are equivalent.

Sorry for the bad formatting if it isn't clear.

Edit: These logs are base e.

Last edited:
"3.14", as opposed to [itex]\pi[/itex], is a rational number. It is, in fact, [itex]314/100= 157/50[/itex] so [itex]2^{3.14}= 2^{157/50}= \sqrt[50]{2^{157}}[/itex].

[itex]\pi[/itex] is not rational but there exist a sequence of rational numbers that converge to it (the sequence 3, 3.1, 3.14, ..., for example). [itex]2^\pi[/itex] is equal to the limit of the sequence [itex]2^3[/itex], [itex]2^{3.1}= 2^{31/10}= \sqrt[10]{2^{31}}=[/itex], [itex]2^{3.14}= 2^{314/100}= \sqrt[50]{2^{157}}[/itex],...

Of course, to actually calculate those things you would use [itex]2^a= e^{a ln(2)}[/itex] as The1337gamer said.

Thank you all, both addressed all of my issues. Halls of Ivy: where can I find more about this sequence that converges to Pi? What is the formula for each term?

In order to compute 2it, we can use the complex number formula a+bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. In this case, a=0 and b=2t. Therefore, the complex number can be written as 0+2ti. To compute the power of this complex number, we can use the De Moivre's theorem, which states that for any complex number r(cosθ + isinθ), the nth power can be calculated as r^n(cos(nθ) + isin(nθ)). In this case, r=2t and θ=π/2. Therefore, the power of 2it can be computed as (2t)^n(cos(nπ/2) + isin(nπ/2)).

For powers that are not integers, such as 23.14, we can use the same formula. In this case, r=23.14 and θ=0 (since the real part is positive and the imaginary part is 0). Therefore, the power of 23.14 can be computed as (23.14)^n(cos(0) + isin(0)) = (23.14)^n(1+0i) = (23.14)^n.

It is important to note that when computing powers of complex numbers, we must use radians for the angle θ in the De Moivre's theorem. Additionally, the result of the power will also be a complex number, so we must use the appropriate notation a+bi to represent it.

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that has two components: a real part and an imaginary part. It is written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit equal to the square root of -1.

2. How do I take a number to a complex number power?

To take a number to a complex number power, you can use the formula z^n = (r^n)(cos(nθ) + i sin(nθ)), where z is the complex number, r is the magnitude of z, θ is the argument of z, and n is the power.

3. Can I use the same rules for exponents when working with complex numbers?

No, the same rules for exponents do not apply when working with complex numbers. When raising a complex number to a power, you must use the formula mentioned above or use the polar form of the complex number.

4. How do I calculate the magnitude and argument of a complex number?

The magnitude of a complex number is calculated using the formula |z| = √(a^2 + b^2), where a and b are the real and imaginary parts, respectively. The argument of a complex number is calculated using the formula tan(θ) = b/a, where θ is the angle between the vector representing the complex number and the positive real axis.

5. What is the significance of taking a number to a complex number power?

Taking a number to a complex number power is often used in engineering, physics, and other fields to model oscillatory and periodic phenomena. It is also useful in solving differential equations and in understanding the behavior of systems with complex-valued inputs and outputs.