Proving (a weaker form of) Bertrand's postulate

• Thread starter stevenytc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form
In summary: The basic idea is to use the fact that there are infinitely many primes to show that for any n>1, there must exist a prime p such that n<p<2n. This is done by considering the product of all primes less than or equal to n and adding 1. This number must have a prime factor greater than n, and since it is also less than 2n, we have found our prime p.
stevenytc
It is known that for every n > 1 there is always at least one prime p such that n < p < 2n.

The Bertrand's theorem's proof I read is quite involved. I've thought of another way to prove it but I think it's too simple to be correct. Can anyone please point out my mistakes?

below, Fundamental Theorem means the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic

Proof:
#
1) for any n > 1, n can be expressed as a product of prime factors (Fundamental Theorem)
2) Let PF[n] be a set containing all prime numbers that appear in the prime factorization of n.
e.g. PF[6] = {2,3}
3) obviously, if x is in PF[n] then x ≤ n.
4) for all prime numbers that are smaller than n, we look for one that is not in PF[n], if it exists, let it be M.

for M exists:
5a) consider K = n + M, K ≤ 2n (from 4)
6a) now, K is not divisible by any prime smaller than n, since for any prime that divides n, it does not divide M, and M does not divide n. (from 4)
7a) but K has a prime factorization (Fundamental Theorem)
8a) hence there must be a prime in the range [n, 2n]

for M not exists:
5b) consider K' = n+1, K ≤ 2n (assumption, n>1)
6b) now, K is not divisible by any prime smaller than n, since for any prime that divides n, it does not divide 1.
7b) but K has a prime factorization (Fundamental Theorem)
8b) hence there must be a prime in the range [n, 2n]

This proof seems alright to me, but after all I'm just an amateur. I would be grateful if anyone could point out the insufficiency of this proof so that I can learn from my mistakes.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
stevenytc said:
It is known that for every n > 1 there is always at least one prime p such that n < p < 2n.

The Bertrand's theorem's proof I read is quite involved. I've thought of another way to prove it but I think it's too simple to be correct. Can anyone please point out my mistakes?

below, Fundamental Theorem means the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic

Proof:
#
1) for any n > 1, n can be expressed as a product of prime factors (Fundamental Theorem)
2) Let PF[n] be a set containing all prime numbers that appear in the prime factorization of n.
e.g. PF[6] = {2,3}
3) obviously, if x is in PF[n] then x ≤ n.
4) for all prime numbers that are smaller than n, we look for one that is not in PF[n], if it exists, let it be M.

I think it's not hard to show that M will always exist. For n somewhat large.

for M exists:

Problem: What if K=2n?? Then you indeed found a prime in [n,2n], but a prime that equals n. Bertrand's postulate says that it must be STRICTLY larger than n!

6a) now, K is not divisible by any prime smaller than n, since for any prime that divides n, it does not divide M, and M does not divide n. (from 4)

This is not true. Take n=8, take M=7. Then K=15 is divisible by 5 and 3 which are both smaller than n.

ok, I understand now, thanks!

micromass said:
I think it's not hard to show that M will always exist. For n somewhat large.
For any [itex]k\geq 2[/itex] choose [itex]n[/itex] to be the product of all prime numbers [itex]\leq k.[/itex] Then [itex]\{p\in\mathbb{P} : p < n, p \not |n \}=\emptyset.[/itex] So [itex]M[/itex] need not exist, if I'm not mistaken.

stevenytc said:
for M exists:
7a) but K has a prime factorization (Fundamental Theorem)
8a) hence there must be a prime in the range [n, 2n]
The problem here is, that you use the fact that if [itex]p|(n+M) \text{ and } p|n \Rightarrow p|M.[/itex] But this doesn't cover all the possibilities, namely if [itex]p\not|n \text{ and } p\not|M \text{ but } p|(n+M),[/itex] as micromass pointed out.

TheFurryGoat said:
For any [itex]k\geq 2[/itex] choose [itex]n[/itex] to be the product of all prime numbers [itex]\leq k.[/itex] Then [itex]\{p\in\mathbb{P} : p < n, p \not |n \}=\emptyset.[/itex] So [itex]M[/itex] need not exist, if I'm not mistaken.

Not true. Take k=10. Then n=2*3*5*7=210. There are a lot of primes smaller than 210.

micromass said:
Not true. Take k=10. Then n=2*3*5*7=210. There are a lot of primes smaller than 210.
woops, sorry, got mixed up with my thoughts, you're right.

Erdos has a very elegant proof of this theorem.

1. What is Bertrand's postulate?

Bertrand's postulate, also known as Bertrand's conjecture, is a mathematical statement that states that for any positive integer n greater than 1, there exists at least one prime number p such that n < p < 2n.

2. What is the weaker form of Bertrand's postulate?

The weaker form of Bertrand's postulate, also known as Chebyshev's theorem, states that for any positive integer n greater than 1, there exists at least one prime number p such that n < p < 2n - 2.

3. Why is proving the weaker form of Bertrand's postulate important?

The weaker form of Bertrand's postulate is important because it provides a more manageable mathematical statement to prove compared to the original postulate. It also has many applications in number theory and can be used to prove other important theorems.

4. What techniques are commonly used to prove the weaker form of Bertrand's postulate?

Some common techniques used to prove the weaker form of Bertrand's postulate include methods from analytic number theory, combinatorics, and algebraic geometry. The proof may also involve the use of inequalities and estimates.

5. Has the weaker form of Bertrand's postulate been proven?

Yes, the weaker form of Bertrand's postulate has been proven. The first proof was given by the French mathematician Joseph Bertrand in 1845. Since then, there have been various other proofs using different techniques and approaches.