Chain rule for implicit differentiation

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivative dx/dt and its relation to the derivative dx/du using the chain rule. The suggested solution is \frac{dx}{du}=\frac{dx}{dt} \cdot \frac{dt}{du}=\left[y(u(t)) \cdot z(u(t)) + u(t)\right] \cdot \left[\frac{du(t)}{dt}\right]^{-1}. The speaker also seeks clarification on how to treat \frac{dt}{du(t)}, which is suggested to be the reciprocal of \frac{du(t)}{dt}.
Tuomo
I have derivative dx/dt = y(u(t)) * z(u(t)) + u(t)
Now, what is dx/du ? I know the chain rule should help, but I am stuck :-(

Physics news on Phys.org
Tuomo said:
I have derivative dx/dt = y(u(t)) * z(u(t)) + u(t)
Now, what is dx/du ? I know the chain rule should help, but I am stuck :-(

Maybe [itex]\frac{dx}{du}=\frac{dx}{dt} \cdot \frac{dt}{du}[/itex].

fluidistic said:
Maybe [itex]\frac{dx}{du}=\frac{dx}{dt} \cdot \frac{dt}{du}[/itex].

Thanks fluidistics.

Ok, so, what I get is:

[itex]\frac{dx}{du}=\frac{dx}{dt} \cdot \frac{dt}{du}=\left[y(u(t)) \cdot z(u(t)) + u(t)\right] \cdot \frac{dt}{du(t)}[/itex]

Now, what the heck is this [itex]\frac{dt}{du(t)}[/itex] ? Any idea how should I treat it?
Is it just a reciprocal of [itex]\frac{du(t)}{dt}[/itex]? In other words, can I just divide the original function with the time derivative of u(t)?

[itex]\frac{dx}{du}=\frac{dx}{dt} \cdot \frac{dt}{du}=\left[y(u(t)) \cdot z(u(t)) + u(t)\right] \cdot \left[\frac{du(t)}{dt}\right]^{-1}[/itex]

Thanks for help and comments! Its is almost... uhhhh... 15 years since I studied this stuff in university.

What is the chain rule for implicit differentiation?

The chain rule for implicit differentiation is a method used to find the derivative of a function that is implicitly defined. It is used when a function is expressed in terms of both dependent and independent variables, and the dependent variable is not explicitly stated.

How is the chain rule applied in implicit differentiation?

The chain rule is applied by first identifying the dependent and independent variables in the function. Then, the derivative of the dependent variable is found with respect to the independent variable. Finally, the derivative of the independent variable is multiplied by the derivative of the dependent variable, giving the final result.

Why is the chain rule important in implicit differentiation?

The chain rule is important because it allows us to find the derivative of a function that is not explicitly defined in terms of its dependent variable. This is especially useful in situations where it is difficult or impossible to solve for the dependent variable explicitly.

What are some common mistakes made when using the chain rule for implicit differentiation?

One common mistake is to forget to apply the chain rule and instead use the power rule or product rule. Another mistake is to forget to use the derivative of the dependent variable when multiplying by the derivative of the independent variable.

Can the chain rule be used in other types of differentiation besides implicit differentiation?

Yes, the chain rule can also be applied in other types of differentiation, such as logarithmic, exponential, and trigonometric functions. It is a fundamental rule in calculus and is used to find the derivative of composite functions.