How can galxies and dwarf galaxies be made of regular AND dark matter?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of dark matter and its role in the formation of galaxies. While dark matter does not interact with light, it is thought to interact with gravity and provide the scaffolding for visible matter to adhere to. This is supported by evidence such as the rotation curve of galaxies, gravitational lensing, and the cosmic microwave background. Experts generally believe that dark matter is necessary for galaxy formation. However, in science, it is important to continually test and challenge our understanding.
fellupahill
If dark matter is actually there and not just some flaw in our understanding or mathematics then how can galaxies be made of both and not just one or the other. If dark matter doesn't interact with anything else like light then how can a dwarf galaxy be made of "mostly dark matter"?I know its probably just a misunderstanding of mine, but right now it really seems like dark matter is a scape goat. Do a lot of experts share this hypothesis?
What are some other reasons why physicists believe dark matter is there, other than its gravitational effects on the movement of galaxies? Or is that pretty much it? (I understand this is a big deal, ha) and finally, what are the leading theories that explain dark matter and which do you support?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Both matter and dark matter interact through gravity, but neither interact with each other in any other way. So dark matter is simply there in space like normal matter is.

but proportional enough to form almost perfect circles around galaxies? wouldn't they just form their own random clumps? I mean they are stronger? Does that mean its strong enough so almost all matter is inside dark matter? But not strong enough to cause any negative effects? or whatever the technical term in physics is for "negative effects" is.

Its obvious that I am missing something in my understanding. Elighten? :)

It is thought that in the early universe small perturbation of dark matter density causes clumps to eventually form, and this is the scaffolds that visible matter adheres to later on. See e.g. this.

Here are some good readings about properties of dark matter and why most experts think they are needed [instead of say, modified gravity]. A quick answer is dark matter explanation fits well not just for galaxies rotation curve, galaxy cluster, gravitational lensing, but also the cosmic microwave background data.

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2009/10/what_is_dark_matter.php

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2011/10/the_status_of_dark_matter.php

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2011/10/a_new_test_of_dark_matter_vs_m.php

Dark Matter: Just Fine, Thanks.

That post clarified things perfectly for me. Is this uniformly believed? That dark matter was essential for galaxy formation? It makes perfect sense.

In science, even when you're convinced that you know the right answer, you keep testing your understanding in new ways.
-ethan siegel
I like that perfect quote.

edit
perfect. perfection. post perfection. infinite perfection. lol

Last edited:

1. How can galaxies and dwarf galaxies be made of both regular and dark matter?

Galaxies and dwarf galaxies are made up of both regular and dark matter because regular matter, such as stars and gas, provides the necessary gravitational force to hold the galaxies together, while dark matter provides the additional gravitational force needed to explain the observed motions of stars and gas within the galaxies.

2. How do we know that galaxies and dwarf galaxies contain dark matter?

We know that galaxies and dwarf galaxies contain dark matter because of the observed gravitational effects on visible matter, such as stars and gas, which cannot be explained by the amount of regular matter present. Additionally, indirect evidence such as gravitational lensing and the cosmic microwave background also support the existence of dark matter in galaxies.

3. Can dark matter be observed or detected?

Dark matter cannot be observed directly as it does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation. However, its presence can be detected through its gravitational effects on visible matter. Scientists also use indirect methods such as studying the rotation curves of galaxies and galaxy clusters to infer the presence of dark matter.

4. How is the ratio of regular matter to dark matter determined in galaxies and dwarf galaxies?

The ratio of regular matter to dark matter in galaxies and dwarf galaxies is determined through observations of the gravitational effects of dark matter on visible matter. By studying the rotation curves of galaxies and galaxy clusters, scientists can estimate the amount of dark matter present and compare it to the amount of regular matter.

5. Are there any theories that can explain the origin of dark matter in galaxies and dwarf galaxies?

There are several theories that attempt to explain the origin of dark matter in galaxies and dwarf galaxies, including the Cold Dark Matter model and the Warm Dark Matter model. These theories propose that dark matter is made up of particles that were created in the early universe and have been present since then. However, the exact nature and origin of dark matter is still a mystery and is an active area of research in astrophysics.