THermodynamics of a magnetic system

In summary: It has different definitions for different types of magnetic systems, such as paramagnetic gases, paramagnetic solids, magnetic solids, and composite systems. The parameters for work and internal energy also vary depending on the type of magnetic system.
Feynmanfan
I've been given the fundamental equation of a magnetic system .U(S,N,I)=...
I have to calculate some thermodynamic potentials such as U[T] etc.

One of them is the so called magnetic enthalpy and the expression for it is
U[p,B]. Another one is U[p]. How do I calculate it? I don't even know what it means.

Since I'm only used to pression, volume etc. I don't know what p is.

If S is entropy, I the equivalent of volume and B (magnetic field or whatever) the equivalent of pressure. WHat is p?

Physics news on Phys.org
Feynmanfan said:
Since I'm only used to pression, volume etc. I don't know what p is.

If S is entropy, I the equivalent of volume and B (magnetic field or whatever) the equivalent of pressure. WHat is p?
You haven't exactly explained the question very well.

Generally magnetic enthalpy is a state variable that will indicate whether the magnetic energy of the system (internal magnetic energy + magnetic work) has increased or decreased. It is just that there are different definitions of work and internal energy for a magnetic system (depending on what kind of magnetic system it is) than for an ideal gas system. You can have paramagnetic low temperature gases, paramagnetic solids, magnetic solids, nuclear magnetic or magnetic ion systems, or composite paramagnetic systems consisting of magnetic solids and gases. They have different parameters for work and internal energy.

AM

The thermodynamics of a magnetic system can be quite complex, but understanding the fundamental equation and thermodynamic potentials can help make it more manageable. Let's break down the different components of the equation to better understand how to calculate the thermodynamic potentials.

First, the fundamental equation for a magnetic system is U(S,N,I), where U represents the internal energy, S is the entropy, N is the number of particles, and I is the magnetic moment. This equation relates the internal energy of the system to its entropy, number of particles, and magnetic moment.

Now, let's look at the two specific thermodynamic potentials mentioned - magnetic enthalpy and U[p]. The magnetic enthalpy, denoted as U[p,B], is a function of both pressure (p) and magnetic field (B). This means that it takes into account the effects of both pressure and magnetic field on the system's internal energy. To calculate this, you would need to know the values of p and B at a specific temperature.

On the other hand, U[p] is a function of only pressure (p) and does not take into account the magnetic field. This means that it measures the change in internal energy of the system due to changes in pressure alone. To calculate this, you would need to know the value of p at a specific temperature.

In thermodynamics, pressure (p) is a measure of the force exerted on a unit area of the system. It is usually represented in units of pascals (Pa) or atmospheres (atm). In the context of a magnetic system, pressure can be thought of as the external pressure applied to the system or the pressure exerted by the magnetic field on the system.

In summary, to calculate the thermodynamic potentials in a magnetic system, you would need to know the values of pressure (p) and magnetic field (B) at a specific temperature. Understanding the fundamental equation and the role of each variable in it can help in making these calculations.

1. What is the definition of thermodynamics in relation to a magnetic system?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that studies the relationship between heat, energy, and work in a system. In the context of a magnetic system, it involves understanding the behavior of magnetic materials in response to changes in temperature, pressure, and other external factors.

2. How do magnetic materials behave under different temperatures?

Magnetic materials experience changes in their magnetic properties at different temperatures. For ferromagnetic materials, the magnetic moment increases as the temperature decreases until it reaches a critical temperature called the Curie temperature, after which the material becomes paramagnetic.

3. What is the connection between thermodynamics and magnetism?

Thermodynamics and magnetism are closely related because changes in temperature, pressure, and other external factors can affect the magnetic properties of a material. For example, heating a magnet can cause it to lose its magnetism, while cooling it can strengthen its magnetic field.

4. Can thermodynamics be used to predict the behavior of magnetic systems?

Yes, thermodynamics can be used to predict the behavior of magnetic systems. By studying the thermodynamic properties of a material, such as its heat capacity and magnetic susceptibility, scientists can make predictions about how it will respond to changes in temperature and other external factors.

5. What are the main laws of thermodynamics and how do they apply to magnetic systems?

The three main laws of thermodynamics are the first law (conservation of energy), the second law (increase of entropy), and the third law (impossibility of reaching absolute zero). These laws apply to magnetic systems by governing the exchange and transformation of energy and heat within the system, as well as the behavior of the magnetic materials as they approach absolute zero temperature.