Calculating the field strength of an alternating magnetic field

In summary, the field strength of an alternating magnetic field is calculated by dividing the maximum induced voltage by the distance between the conductor and source. The unit of measurement for field strength is ampere per meter (A/m). A standard voltmeter cannot measure field strength, specialized equipment is needed. The frequency of the alternating magnetic field does not directly affect its field strength, but a higher frequency may result in a higher induced voltage. There is a relationship between the field strength and distance from the source, following an inverse-square law.
nanomic
I have a solenoid copper coil 7 cm lengths, 5 turns, r =0.75; applied current 145 V; 0.73 A; frequency 1.10 MHz and I'm still not able to calculate the magnetic field strength in kA/m. Can you help me?

I tried a number of formulas, but I just don't get it. :confused:
Please point me in the right direction.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what were the formulas you tried?

Also, did you pay attention to units? Note that the length is given in cm, and current in amps, but the units of the answer kA per metre.

1. How is the field strength of an alternating magnetic field calculated?

The field strength of an alternating magnetic field is calculated by dividing the maximum voltage induced in a conductor by the distance between the conductor and the source of the magnetic field, also known as the magnetic flux density.

2. What is the unit of measurement for field strength in an alternating magnetic field?

The unit of measurement for field strength in an alternating magnetic field is the ampere per meter (A/m).

3. Can the field strength of an alternating magnetic field be measured using a standard voltmeter?

No, a standard voltmeter is not capable of measuring the field strength of an alternating magnetic field. Specialized equipment, such as a gaussmeter or a flux meter, is needed to accurately measure the field strength.

4. How does the frequency of the alternating magnetic field affect its field strength?

The frequency of an alternating magnetic field does not directly affect its field strength. However, a higher frequency may result in a higher induced voltage in a conductor, which can then be used to calculate the field strength.

5. Is there a relationship between the field strength and the distance from the source of an alternating magnetic field?

Yes, the field strength of an alternating magnetic field decreases as the distance from the source increases. This relationship follows an inverse-square law, meaning that the field strength decreases by a factor of four as the distance is doubled.