Proving Different Parities in Integer Sums

• Thread starter nicnicman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses a proof regarding the sum of 3x + 3y and its relationship to the parities of x and y. The proof shows that if x and y have opposite parities, then the sum is always odd. The conversation also mentions considering cases where x and y have the same parities, and the proof is adjusted to show that the sum is always even in those cases. The concept of the contrapositive is also mentioned as a useful tool in proving statements.
nicnicman
Hello all I've been practicing proofs and would like to know if I'm on the right track. Here it is:

If the sum of 3x + 3y is an odd number then x and y are different parities.

Proof: Let x and y be two integers with opposite parity. Without loss of generality, suppose x is even and y is odd:

x = 2m
y = 2n + 1

Then:

3x + 3y = 3(2m) + 3(2n + 1) = 6m + 6n + 1 = 2(3m + 3n) + 1

Since 2(3m + 3n) has a factor of 2 it is even. When 1 is added, 2(3m + 3n) + 1 is odd. Therefore, 3x + 3y is odd and x and y have opposite parities.

Is this enough or do I need more?

Physics news on Phys.org
You've only proved that, if x and y are opposite parities, then 3x + 3y is odd. How do you know that it can't be odd in other circumstances?

So would I have to show two more cases: one where both were even and one where both were odd?

Something like this:

Assume x and y are of the same parity. Then we have two cases: (1) both are even, and (2) both are odd.
(1) Both are even; let:

x = 2a
y = 2b

3x + 3y = 3(2a) + 3(2b) = 2(3)(a+b)
Since there is a factor of 2 the sum is even.

(2) Both are odd; let:

x = 2a + 1
y = 2b + 1

3x + 3y = 3(2a+1) + 3(2b+1) = 6a + 3 + 6a + 3 = 12a + 6 = 6(2a) = 2(3)(2a)
Again, since there is a factor of 2 the sum is even.

Would this complete the proof?

That looks complete, yes.
For questions like these, it's useful to keep in mind the contrapositive: If x and y are not of different parities, then 3x + 3y is not odd (remember that an implication and its contrapositive mean the same thing; it's often easier to prove one than the other)

So, since my last post proves the statement by contrapositive, would the proof in my first post be unnecessary?

My math was wrong in my last proof in this line:

3x + 3y = 3(2a+1) + 3(2b+1) = 6a + 3 + 6a + 3 = 12a + 6 = 6(2a) = 2(3)(2a)

It should be:

3x + 3y = 3(2a+1) + 3(2b+1) = 6a + 3 + 6b + 3 = 6a + 6b + 6 = 6(a + b) = 2(3)(x + y)

1. What is the definition of "Proof of different parities"?

Proof of different parities refers to a mathematical concept in which two numbers are classified as either even or odd, based on whether they are divisible by 2 or not.

2. How do you determine the parity of a number?

The parity of a number can be determined by dividing it by 2. If the remainder is 0, the number is even. If the remainder is 1, the number is odd.

3. What are some examples of numbers with different parities?

Examples of numbers with different parities are 2 and 3, 10 and 15, and 24 and 31. In each pair, one number is even and the other is odd.

4. Why is proof of different parities important in mathematics?

Proof of different parities is important in mathematics because it helps in understanding and solving various problems related to even and odd numbers, such as determining divisibility and finding patterns in number sequences.

5. Are there any real-life applications of proof of different parities?

Yes, proof of different parities has various real-life applications. For example, in computer programming, it is used to determine whether a number is a whole number or a decimal. It is also used in cryptography to generate secure encryption keys.