Trying to better understand the reductio ad absurdum

• Thread starter charlie_sheep
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof by contradiction and its use of the law of excluded middle. The speaker also presents a general logic structure and questions the relationship between this structure and reductio ad absurdum. They also mention the use of truth-tables in determining the validity of arguments and the importance of starting with a true premise.
charlie_sheep
I've just started studying college math.

I read the proof by contradiction is based on the law of excluded middle. So i tried
to make a general logic structure of this kind of demonstration to see how it could use
this law. If I'm right, of course.

Let X and Y be propositions.

1. X -> Y
2. ~Y
3. X v ~X ¹
By 1 and 3 we have:
4. Y v ~X
By 2 and 4 we have:
~X
Q.E.D.

¹ - Law of excluded middle

Is this how reductio ad absurdum is made?

I mean, generally the following statement is used:
"Suppose X is true. Then Y is true. But Y is false. So X is false."

But isn't it the same thing i just did above?

I know that, probably, I'm just talking non-sense. But even so, i think this non-sense
can help you guys to help me out with my doubts.

Anyway, thank you for the attention.

My first language is portuguese and I'm not a good english writer. So if i made any english mistakes, i apologize.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Charlie Sheep: ( I liked your work on two and a half mep ;) )

This is my perspective: truth-tables for connectives like & , \/ , are defined so that

they are truth-preserving. An argument is valid if, by definition, whenever the

premises are true, the conclusion cannot be false. Now, if you start with a true

premise and arrive --using truth-preserving rules --to a false statement , i.e.,

a contradiction-- then your initial premise must not have been true to start with.

What is reductio ad absurdum?

Reductio ad absurdum is a logical argument that seeks to prove the falsehood of a statement by showing that it leads to an absurd or illogical conclusion.

How does reductio ad absurdum work?

Reductio ad absurdum works by assuming the truth of a statement and then showing that, if it were true, it would lead to a contradiction or absurdity. This proves that the original statement cannot be true.

What is the purpose of using reductio ad absurdum?

The purpose of using reductio ad absurdum is to demonstrate the logical inconsistency or falsehood of a statement. It can also be used to support the validity of a counterargument.

What are the key elements of reductio ad absurdum?

The key elements of reductio ad absurdum include assuming the truth of a statement, following logical reasoning to reach a contradiction or absurdity, and using this to disprove the original statement.

Can reductio ad absurdum be used in all arguments?

Reductio ad absurdum is a common and valid technique in logical arguments, but it may not be applicable in all situations. It is most effective in arguments that involve logical or mathematical principles.