Proving √2 is Irrational: Demonstrating with Math

• Thread starter charlie_sheep
  • Start date
In summary: Lastly, you should always make sure to provide a conclusion or final statement that summarizes the proof and clearly states whether the proof is correct or not. In summary, the proof for the irrationality of the square root of 2 is mostly correct, with some minor errors and typos. The proof can be simplified and made clearer by eliminating redundant steps, using consistent notation, and defining quantifiers more explicitly.
charlie_sheep
Hello, I’m Charlie and I’ve been trying to understand how I prove things correctly. So here is an example of the way I demonstrate:

Proof that square root of 2 isn’t rational

Consider the following hypotheses

1.(√2 is rational) → (√2 = m/n | m,n ∈ ℤ, gdc(m,n) = 1) → (m² = 2n², n = (m²)/2 | m,n ∈ ℤ, gdc(m,n) = 1)
2.(∀x,y ∈ ℤ, (x² = 2y²) → (x = 2z | z ∈ ℤ))
3.(m = 2k, n = 2p | m,n,k,p ∈ ℤ, gdc(m,n) = 1) → (gcd(m,n) = 1 ∧ gdc(m,n) ≠ 1)
4.~(gcd(m,n) = 1 ∧ gdc(m,n) ≠ 1)
By 1 and 2 there is
5.(√2 is rational) → (m = 2k, n² = 2k² | m,n,k ∈ ℤ, gdc(m,n) = 1)
By 5 and 2 there is
6.(√2 is rational) → (m = 2k, n = 2p | m,n,k,p ∈ ℤ, gdc(m,n) = 1)
By 6 and 3 there is
7.(√2 is rational) → (gcd(m,n) = 1 ∧ gdc(m,n) ≠ 1)
By 7 and 4 there is
8. ~(√2 is rational)

Is it correct? If not, why? Any other observations?

Note: English is not my first language, and I’m not really good in it. So, I apologize for any mistakes.

Physics news on Phys.org
The proof is mostly correct. There are some minor errors and typos, but the overall structure of the proof is correct. Here are some items to consider:1. You can simplify your proof by eliminating redundant steps. For example, you can eliminate step 5. 2. You should also make sure that your notation is consistent. For example, you use “gcd” in one step (Step 3) and “gdc” in another (Step 4). This can lead to confusion when reading the proof. 3. You should also make sure that your quantifiers are clearly defined. For example, in step 2, you state that “(∀x,y ∈ ℤ, (x² = 2y²) → (x = 2z | z ∈ ℤ))”. However, it is not clear what the universal quantifier “∀x,y ∈ ℤ” applies to. It could apply to the entire statement, or just to the first part “(x² = 2y²)”. It is best to be as explicit as possible when writing proofs.

What is the definition of an irrational number?

An irrational number is a number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. It has an infinite number of non-repeating decimal digits.

What is the proof that √2 is irrational?

The proof is a proof by contradiction, also known as a Reductio ad absurdum. It starts by assuming that √2 can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, and then uses logical steps to show that this assumption leads to a contradiction, thus proving that √2 is irrational.

Why is the proof of √2 being irrational significant?

The proof of √2 being irrational is significant because it was the first proof of an irrational number, and it laid the foundation for future mathematical proofs. It also helped to expand our understanding of numbers and their properties.

Can the same proof be used for other irrational numbers?

Yes, the same proof can be used for other irrational numbers. In fact, the proof can be generalized to show that the square root of any non-perfect square is irrational.

What are some real-life applications of the proof for √2 being irrational?

The proof has many practical applications, such as in computer science and cryptography. It is also used in various fields of engineering, such as in the design of bridges and buildings, to ensure their stability and strength.