Should I go to an old friend's wedding

• Thread starter trueo
  • Start date
In summary, the cost, the short duration of the relationship, and the fact that the other guy is from a different company make it inappropriate for the heroine to go to the other guy's wedding.
trueo
We used to work with one other for 3-4 months, but we didn't talk to each other much. He never starts a conversation to greet me on skype. And after I left the company for 3 months, he suddenly appeared to hand in me his wedding invitation card.
It costs me money to go to someone's wedding though. What do you think whether I should go or ignore ? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Other than the cost, is there any other reason not to go?

I would not go. Sounds like they're fishing for a gift. From your description of your relationship, the invitation is inappropriate.

I agree with Evo.

A hand delivered invitation sounds very personal. Did he invite anyone else from your workgroup?

enosis_ said:
A hand delivered invitation sounds very personal. Did he invite anyone else from your workgroup?
Thank you for your replies, we were working for company A until I left for company B. He's has never been the first one to start saying "hi" in skype since I left the company, only I do, while we've been online all the time; and he has not been busy while working in company A.

Thank you Evo and Charmer, I decide to keep silent, not to go there.

And now in the company I just landed in for only 1 month, there is another guy inviting me to his wedding again. I think only 1 month is a very short duration, I actually don't even know anything about him but he sits in front of me. Should I go for this wedding ?

I would go to all weddings but just wouldn't bother spending too much time picking a gift :smile:.

I also would like to go to weddings with no gifts, but when arriving at the restaurant, there is a reception where I have to enter my name and return the invitation card usually with $$$ inside.

And in my situation as in my previous post, I may only ask someone send the latter guy's wedding some money and I won't go to both's. It is because the latter's wedding is celebrated sooo far away from the city, in his hometown, I would go if it is were in the city :D.

trueo said:
I also would like to go to weddings with no gifts, but when arriving at the restaurant, there is a reception where I have to enter my name and return the invitation card usually with $$$ inside.

And in my situation as in my previous post, I may only ask someone send the latter guy's wedding some money and I won't go to both's
What I meant that just pick some random gift before wedding rather than spending a day picking a gift. I was in similar situation recently, I got e-invitation though. I bought a gift before heading there and a happy wedding card.

I also seen that custom of giving card with money inside it. But, I haven't been to many weddings yet to know what is normal way of attending a wedding.

rootX said:
What I meant that just pick some random gift before wedding rather than spending a day picking a gift. I was in similar situation recently. I bought a gift before heading there and a happy wedding card.

Ok, but I won't go; I'm out of the previous company anyway and I want to save some money..I change quite often, if I do go to his wedding, perhaps I only put a very small amount of $$ in the letter ($10 or $15).

1. Should I attend an old friend's wedding even if I haven't seen them in years?

It ultimately depends on your personal relationship with your old friend and how important their wedding is to you. If you have fond memories and value your friendship, it may be worth attending to show your support and celebrate their special day.

2. What if I can't afford to attend my old friend's wedding?

If finances are a concern, it's important to be honest with your friend and explain your situation. They may be understanding and offer to help cover some of the costs or even suggest alternative ways for you to be involved in their wedding celebration.

3. Is it appropriate to bring a date or significant other to my old friend's wedding?

Unless the invitation specifically states that you are allowed to bring a plus one, it's best to attend the wedding solo. Bringing a date or significant other without prior approval can add unnecessary stress for the couple and may not be well-received by the other guests.

4. What if I have conflicting plans on the same day as my old friend's wedding?

It's important to prioritize your old friend's wedding, especially if you have already RSVP'd. If you have a conflicting event, try to reschedule or find a compromise so that you can attend both. If that's not possible, it's best to apologize and send your regrets to the couple.

5. Can I attend my old friend's wedding if I am not close with their current friends and family?

Yes, it's still appropriate to attend your old friend's wedding even if you don't know their current friends and family. It's a great opportunity to reconnect with your old friend and meet new people. Just be sure to be respectful and considerate of their other guests.