The ATF and their role in gun control

In summary, the ATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives) is a federal law enforcement agency responsible for enforcing laws and regulations related to alcohol, tobacco, firearms, explosives, and arson. Their role in gun control includes regulating the sale and possession of firearms, investigating illegal firearms trafficking, and conducting background checks for gun purchases. The ATF also works with other law enforcement agencies to prevent and reduce gun violence, while also balancing the rights of individuals to own and use firearms. Overall, the ATF plays a crucial role in promoting public safety and enforcing gun control laws in the United States.
Alfi
The NRA says it wants existing laws to govern the control of firearms.
The NRA removed the power of the ATF to execute the existing laws.

My forecast for future political action is that the NRA will face full legal disclosure in the SCOTUS.

Todd Tiart - Fox news July 19 2011
Todd Tiart - Washington Post - July 21 2003

I think the 'legal people' should ask this person some questions IMHO .

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2011/07...ate-the/182538
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...102303763.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Alfi, neither of your links work for me.

In any case, I have filled out reams of 4473 forms throughout the years that I spent running the firearms/militaria division of a large auction house. The myth of an "instant background check" is just that - a myth. Sometimes the FBI would give an OK on the phone, but more likely would call back within the day of the sale or the next day, and other times, would just "time out" so that you could make the transfer after 3 days of no response. In that case, the buyer incurs the extra expense of shipping (from my end) and transfer (from a licensed FFL-holder on their end). Either way, the buyer incurred extra expenses. I don't see how Obama is going to streamline the background checks to get around this, and it is to the detriment of to legal sellers at gun-shows and to honest auctioneers to let this situation continue.

BTW: the number of times that my department was audited by the ATF = 0.

Last edited:
turbo said:
ouch ... I was just at them and then did the cut and paste thing to them ... ??
I understand than I should not make 'statements of fact' without some sort of source.

c&p ... http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/23/AR2010102303763.html

After gun industry pressure, veil was draped over tracing data

Rep. Todd Tiahrt (R-Kan.) introduced the amendment that blocked gun tracing data.
Rep. Todd Tiahrt (R-Kan.) introduced the amendment that blocked gun tracing data. (Rick Carioti)
Enlarge Photo
TOOLBOX
Resize
Print
Reprints
By James V. Grimaldi and Sari Horwitz
Sunday, October 24, 2010

Under the law, investigators cannot reveal federal firearms tracing information that shows how often a dealer sells guns that end up seized in crimes. The law effectively shields retailers from lawsuits, academic study and public scrutiny. It also keeps the spotlight off the relationship between rogue gun dealers and the black market in firearms.

www.dailykos.com/story/2013/01/17/1...EVENT-the-ATF-from-enforcing-current-gun-laws
I hope this will be acceptable.

Disclaimer: I own a couple of semi-automatic pistols (one of which is almost 90 years old), but I have never felt the need to own a semi-auto rifle. I own a 1926 Ithaca double-barrel 16 gauge shotgun, two old Winchester Model 94 lever carbines chambered for .30-30 (and yes, that "94" stands for the initial year of issue - 1894) and a Ruger Model One single-shot rifle chambered for .45-70. I love to plink and shoot targets, but have never felt the urge to get into the assault weapon binge.

People should not get all frothy about some reasonable restrictions to gun transfers. The rub is - how do we make them work? Do we spend $$$$$$$$ to beef up the FBI to reduce response times so instant background checks can be reasonably "instant"? I have not seen any proposals that would facilitate making the background checks "instant".

turbo said:
Either way, the buyer incurred extra expenses. I don't see how Obama is going to streamline the background checks to get around this, and it is to the detriment of to legal sellers at gun-shows and to honest auctioneers to let this situation continue.

IF even one dollar is incurred in extra expenses ... suck it up ... pass it on to the consumer.
IF You don't see the streamlining ... suck it up. Change is required. Make it happen.

BTW: the number of times that my department was audited by the ATF = 0
and this is the point ... perhaps it should be once a month.
Give the ATF back the teeth that they had until taken away by the GOP by way of Tiahrt and his awards from the NRA

turbo said:
Disclaimer: I own a couple of semi-automatic pistols (one of which is almost 90 years old), but I have never felt the need to own a semi-auto rifle. I own a 1926 Ithaca double-barrel 16 gauge shotgun, two old Winchester Model 94 lever carbines chambered for .30-30 (and yes, that "94" stands for the initial year of issue - 1894) and a Ruger Model One single-shot rifle chambered for .45-70. I love to plink and shoot targets, but have never felt the urge to get into the assault weapon binge.

I don't care what you own. Not at issue.

Are they secure? As per law
Good! ... then they won't be stolen and used to kill your mother and your children.

So ... what do you feel about ten, twenty, hundred ... ammunition capability?
What requests proposed are you against?
Money?

Alfi said:
Give the ATF back the teeth that they had until taken away by the GOP by way of Tiahrt and his awards from the NRA

The ATF had their teeth taken away because it was and still is the only government agency that makes the TSA look good.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31727_162-57338546-10391695/documents-atf-used-fast-and-furious-to-make-the-case-for-gun-regulations/

"I wanted to make sure that none of the firearms that were sold per our conversation with you and various ATF agents could or would ever end up south of the border or in the hands of the bad guys. I guess I am looking for a bit of reassurance that the guns are not getting south or in the wrong hands...I want to help ATF with its investigation but not at the risk of agents (sic) safety because I have some very close friends that are US Border Patrol agents in southern AZ as well as my concern for all the agents (sic) safety that protect our country."

"It's like ATF created or added to the problem so they could be the solution to it and pat themselves on the back," says one law enforcement source familiar with the facts. "It's a circular way of thinking."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATF_gunwalking_scandal

Over the course of the next 10 months that I was involved in this operation, we monitored as they purchased hand guns, AK-47 variants, and .50 caliber rifles almost daily. Rather than conduct any enforcement actions, we took notes, we recorded observations, we tracked movements of these individuals for a short time after their purchases, but nothing more. Knowing all the while, just days after these purchases, the guns that we saw these individuals buy would begin turning up at crime scenes in the United States and Mexico, we still did nothing. ...
I cannot begin to think of how the risk of letting guns fall into the hands of known criminals could possibly advance any legitimate law enforcement interest.

turbo said:

In any case, I have filled out reams of 4473 forms throughout the years that I spent running the firearms/militaria division of a large auction house. The myth of an "instant background check" is just that - a myth. Sometimes the FBI would give an OK on the phone, but more likely would call back within the day of the sale or the next day, and other times, would just "time out" so that you could make the transfer after 3 days of no response. In that case, the buyer incurs the extra expense of shipping (from my end) and transfer (from a licensed FFL-holder on their end). Either way, the buyer incurred extra expenses. I don't see how Obama is going to streamline the background checks to get around this, and it is to the detriment of to legal sellers at gun-shows and to honest auctioneers to let this situation continue.

Either way, the buyer incurred extra expenses. this is not my concern

1. What is the ATF and what is their role in gun control?

The ATF, or the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, is a federal law enforcement agency within the Department of Justice. The agency's main role is to enforce federal laws and regulations related to the manufacture, sale, and possession of firearms and explosives.

2. How does the ATF regulate the sale of firearms?

The ATF enforces the Gun Control Act of 1968, which requires all individuals and businesses involved in the sale or distribution of firearms to be licensed and follow certain regulations. This includes conducting background checks on potential buyers and keeping records of all firearms transactions.

3. Does the ATF have the power to ban certain types of guns?

The ATF does not have the authority to ban or restrict specific types of firearms. This power lies with Congress and the President, who can pass laws or executive orders related to gun control.

4. How does the ATF investigate illegal gun trafficking?

The ATF has special agents who are responsible for investigating illegal gun trafficking and other firearms-related crimes. They use a variety of methods, such as undercover operations and tracing firearms through their serial numbers, to track down individuals and groups involved in illegal activities.

5. What is the relationship between the ATF and other organizations involved in gun control?

The ATF works closely with other federal, state, and local agencies, as well as organizations like the National Rifle Association, to enforce gun control laws and regulations. However, the agency is ultimately responsible for enforcing federal laws and regulations related to firearms and explosives.