Unlocking the Mystery: Calculating Values for a Full Wave Bridge Circuit

In summary, The person is seeking help with a circuit theory problem involving a full-wave bridge, rectifying cap, and zener diode. They have values for the components but are unsure of the equations needed to solve the circuit. They have searched for information online and in textbooks but have not found anything helpful. Some people have suggested using a 4700uF cap in the circuit, but the person does not understand the theory behind it and has only been able to work on their circuit through trial and error in simulation software.
Shahil
Help! Full Wave Bridge!

Hi guys!

Okay - I know that this is a straight-forward intermediate level circuit theory problem but uh...I've forgotten how to do it so I need help!

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I have a full-wave rectifying bridge connected to a rectifying cap and a regulating zener diode. I do have values for the cap/zener/resistor (worked out through trial and error) but: What equations do you use to work out values for this circuit? I've looked all over the net and couple textbook but can't seem to find any good information on it! If it does help,
Please help people - I really need to figure this out!

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Note on pic:
Zener = 3.9V
R = 1100 ohms
C = 1000uF

Only the non-inverted coloured part of the circuit is the part that is concerend in my question. :smile:

Attachments

• bridge.doc
    33 KB · Views: 251
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm having the same problem with my powersupply circuit. Some people have suggested to use 4700uF in the rectifying caps... but I have no idea what the theory behind it is... I've just worked mine by trial & error in some simulation software called "Protel 99".

Hi there,

No need to panic, let's break it down step by step. The full-wave bridge circuit is used to convert alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC) by utilizing four diodes in a bridge configuration. This allows for a more efficient conversion compared to a half-wave rectifier.

To calculate the values for this circuit, we need to use the following equations:

1. Peak AC voltage (Vp) = RMS AC voltage (Vrms) x √2
2. Peak DC voltage (Vdc) = Vp - Vd (where Vd is the voltage drop across the diode, typically around 0.7V)
3. Capacitor charging time (t) = 2 x R x C (where R is the resistor value in ohms and C is the capacitor value in farads)
4. Ripple voltage (Vr) = Vdc / (2 x f x C) (where f is the frequency of the AC input)

Using these equations, we can calculate the values for the circuit in your picture.

1. Vp = Vrms x √2 = 120V x √2 = 169.7V
2. Vdc = Vp - Vd = 169.7V - 0.7V = 169V
3. t = 2 x R x C = 2 x 1100 ohms x 1000uF = 2.2 seconds
4. Vr = Vdc / (2 x f x C) = 169V / (2 x 60Hz x 1000uF) = 1.41V

Therefore, the values for your circuit are as follows:
- Peak AC voltage = 169.7V
- Peak DC voltage = 169V
- Capacitor charging time = 2.2 seconds
- Ripple voltage = 1.41V

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

1. What is a Help Full Wave Bridge?

A Help Full Wave Bridge is a type of electronic circuit used for converting alternating current (AC) into direct current (DC). It consists of four diodes arranged in a bridge formation, hence the name.

2. How does a Help Full Wave Bridge work?

A Help Full Wave Bridge works by utilizing the properties of diodes to only allow current to flow in one direction. The four diodes in the bridge formation ensure that the converted DC current is always positive, resulting in a smoother output.

3. What are the advantages of using a Help Full Wave Bridge?

One of the main advantages of using a Help Full Wave Bridge is that it can convert AC to DC more efficiently and with less ripple compared to other types of rectifiers. It is also relatively simple and inexpensive to construct.

4. What are the common applications of a Help Full Wave Bridge?

A Help Full Wave Bridge is commonly used in electronic devices that require a steady and regulated DC power supply, such as in computers, televisions, and power supplies for electronic circuits.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Help Full Wave Bridge?

One limitation of a Help Full Wave Bridge is that it requires a center-tapped transformer to function properly, which can add to the cost and complexity of the circuit. It also has a maximum voltage and current rating, so it may not be suitable for high-power applications.