Photoelectric effect and Compton scattering difference

In summary, the photoelectric effect and Compton scattering are two different processes that fall under the category of light-matter interaction. The photoelectric effect is a low-energy phenomenon where photons with longer wavelengths interact with a "giant molecule" made up of electrons trapped by ion lattice. On the other hand, Compton scattering occurs at mid-energy levels where there is a direct relationship between the momentum of the photon and the momentum of the new photo+electron after scattering. Unlike the photoelectric effect, Compton scattering involves the absorption of only part of the energy of the photon and the emission of a photon with lower frequency. Additionally, photoelectric effect and Compton scattering are different from the high-energy phenomenon of pair production.
hms.tech
What is the difference between the two ?

Maybe that in the photoelectric effect all of the energy of a photon is absorbed by the electrons ? Is that it ?

In Compton scattering, only part of the energy is absorbed hence there is a photon of lower frequency emitted !

OR

Maybe in the two processes we use e.m waves of different frequencies ?

Here is another thought : Which one of them is the closest of being the exact opposite of the production of x-rays ?

To answer the above query, I need to know :

Are the electrons (from the bremsstrahlung radiation) decelerated to exactly zero velocity (after striking the metal surface) OR are they reflected (eleastically/inelastically) from the metal surface ?

Physics news on Phys.org

You missed one very important characteristics of both of them - momentum conservation.

In Compton scattering, there is a direct relation between the momentum of the photon, and the momentum of the new photo+electron after scattering.

In the photoelectric effect, you cannot use momentum conservation between the incoming photon and the outgoing photoelectron due to the presence of the lattice ions.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You missed one very important characteristics of both of them - momentum conservation.

In Compton scattering, there is a direct relation between the momentum of the photon, and the momentum of the new photo+electron after scattering.

In the photoelectric effect, you cannot use momentum conservation between the incoming photon and the outgoing photoelectron due to the presence of the lattice ions.

Zz.

After reading you post, it occurred to me that momentum is not conserved during production of x-rays (via "break" radiation/bremsstrahlung) since the fast moving cathode rays strike a thick metal surface which is essentially immovable .

So does that imply the photoelectric effect is the exact opposite of x-ray production via bremsstrahlung

hms.tech said:
After reading you post, it occurred to me that momentum is not conserved during production of x-rays (via "break" radiation/bremsstrahlung) since the fast moving cathode rays strike a thick metal surface which is essentially immovable .

So does that imply the photoelectric effect is the exact opposite of x-ray production via bremsstrahlung

Are you now changing the topic?

I am simply and narrowly addressing the question you posted in the topic. I hate a thread going in 20 different directions and can't come to a closure.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Are you now changing the topic?

I am simply and narrowly addressing the question you posted in the topic. I hate a thread going in 20 different directions and can't come to a closure.

Zz.

No ! I posted this exact same query in my 1st Post:

Here is another thought : Which one of them is the closest of being the exact opposite of the production of x-rays ?

I just made a link between your reply and a concept which I couldn't understand and then asked you whether you think its true .

hms.tech said:
No ! I posted this exact same query in my 1st Post:

And I ignored it because (i) it has really nothing to do with the comparison between photoelectric effect and Compton scattering and (ii) comparison between them and x-ray production is rather puzzling, because bremsstrahlung should really be a different mechanism than the two.

But this is really besides the point. Do you still need to know the differences between Photoelectric effect and Compton scattering, i.e. the thing you posted in the Title of this thread?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
And I ignored it because (i) it has really nothing to do with the comparison between photoelectric effect and Compton scattering and (ii) comparison between them and x-ray production is rather puzzling, because bremsstrahlung should really be a different mechanism than the two.

But this is really besides the point. Do you still need to know the differences between Photoelectric effect and Compton scattering, i.e. the thing you posted in the Title of this thread?

Zz.

Yes.

According to Wikipedia, both of these processes are called " light-matter interaction" and the article says that :

Low-energy phenomena:

Photoelectric effect

Mid-energy phenomena:

Thomson scattering
Compton scattering

High-energy phenomena:

Pair production

What makes Photoelectric effect a low energy phenomenon ?
Does it consist of only long wavelength e.m radiation ?

I hate Wikipedia. Let's get that out of the way.

While the "standard" photoelectric effect uses photons in the visible, maybe even uv range, the general photoemission phenomenon is NOT restricted to just that range. Look up x-ray photoemission. Would you, or that Wikipedia author, still want to call this "low energy".

Zz.

hms.tech said:
What makes Photoelectric effect a low energy phenomenon ?
Does it consist of only long wavelength e.m radiation ?

Photon wavelength thousands of times bigger than distance between atoms, photon interact not with the single atom, but with the "giant molecule" consist of bunch of electrons trapped by ion lattice.
Theoretically, there is still a probability for photon to loose only part of it's energy and pass the thin film. But, unlike Compton case, this "molecule" consist of too many parts, and such probability is much under observation.
Otherwise, for example, exposing this metal film by blue light, we would see the red light from the other side.

PS. I suppose more correct to assume system size from electron wavelength, not electron as particle (plasmon may be?)

Last edited:

What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when light of a certain frequency is shone on it. This was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887 and was explained by Albert Einstein in 1905 with his theory of quantum mechanics.

What is Compton scattering?

Compton scattering is the scattering of photons (particles of light) off of electrons. When a photon collides with an electron, it transfers some of its energy to the electron, causing it to recoil and emit a new photon with a longer wavelength. This effect was discovered by Arthur Compton in 1923 and provided evidence for the particle nature of light.

How are the photoelectric effect and Compton scattering different?

The photoelectric effect and Compton scattering are different in the following ways:

• The photoelectric effect involves the emission of electrons from a material, while Compton scattering involves the scattering of photons off of electrons.
  • The photoelectric effect is dependent on the frequency of light, while Compton scattering is dependent on the energy of the incoming photons.
  • The photoelectric effect results in the emission of electrons with a constant energy, while Compton scattering results in the emission of photons with a longer wavelength.

What are some practical applications of the photoelectric effect and Compton scattering?

The photoelectric effect and Compton scattering have several practical applications, including:

• The photoelectric effect is used in photodiodes and solar cells to convert light energy into electrical energy.
  • Compton scattering is used in X-ray diffraction techniques to determine the structure of molecules and materials.
  • The photoelectric effect and Compton scattering are both used in medical imaging techniques, such as X-rays and PET scans.

How do the photoelectric effect and Compton scattering support the wave-particle duality of light?

The photoelectric effect and Compton scattering both provide evidence for the wave-particle duality of light, which states that light can act as both a wave and a particle. The photoelectric effect shows that light behaves as individual particles (photons) when interacting with matter, while Compton scattering demonstrates the wave-like behavior of light as it is scattered and changes wavelength. Together, these phenomena support the idea that light has both wave-like and particle-like properties.