How long it takes to discharge capacitor when switch is opened

In summary: So the equivalent resistance between e and f must be calculated differently.In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit problem and the steps taken to rearrange the circuit in order to better understand the equivalent resistance. The conversation includes a formula for calculating V(t) on a capacitor and the reasoning behind redrawing the circuit. The final answer is the equivalent resistance between nodes e and f.
Avalanche

Homework Statement

Please look at the attachment. The part I am having problems with is part C

Homework Equations

time constant = RC
Q = Q0 e^(-t/RC)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand why the circuit is equivalent to the 4 ohm resister with the 18 ohm resistor in series so that the top right loop of the original circuit is now in series

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-14 at 12.05.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-14 at 12.05.16 PM.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 506
Physics news on Phys.org
You got the right equivalent circuit.

So what is the formula for V(t) on a capacitor intially charged to V_0 and the allowed to discharge thru a resistor R?

(If necessary, write the diff. eq. & solve).

I don't understand why the circuit is equivalent to the 4 ohm resister with the 18 ohm resistor in series

In the following steps I will rearrange the circuit without changing it electrically...

Step 1 Delete components that are not in the circuit when switch is open (eg the battery and some wire).
Step 2 Rotate circuit 90 degrees.
Step 3 Slide the resistors "around the corners"

The 4 and 18 ohm are now clearly in series.

The equivalent resistance is (4+18)//(8+6)

Attachments

• Step one.jpg
    Step one.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 375
  • Step two.jpg
    Step two.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 392
  • Step three.jpg
    Step three.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 417
CWatters said:
In the following steps I will rearrange the circuit without changing it electrically...

Step 1 Delete components that are not in the circuit when switch is open (eg the battery and some wire).
Step 2 Rotate circuit 90 degrees.
Step 3 Slide the resistors "around the corners"

The 4 and 18 ohm are now clearly in series.

The equivalent resistance is (4+18)//(8+6)

I think I kind of get it. Why do you have to rearrange the circuit? Is it because you want the resistors to be in parallel with the capacitor?

Avalanche said:
I think I kind of get it. Why do you have to rearrange the circuit? Is it because you want the resistors to be in parallel with the capacitor?

There is no need to rearrange the circuit - it just makes it more obvious that they are in series when drawn like that (at least it does to me).

It's conventional to draw circuits with the higher voltage nodes at the top of the page and lower voltage nodes at the bottom. (Although in this case I didn't bother to work out which end of the capacitor is the more positive so my redrawn circuit might be upside down). Sometimes redrawing the circuit to comply with this convention can help you understand or recognise what's going on.

It's possible to keep going and redraw it so that voltage sources like the capacitor are on the left and loads like the resistors are on the right...

Attachments

• Step four.jpg
    Step four.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
I guess my question was why the equivalent resistance wasn't this

Attachments

• why not this.JPG
    why not this.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 383
The expression "equivalent resistance" comes with the implied "between these two points".

The circuit you posted above would be the way to calculate the equivalent resistance between nodes ac and bd. eg the resistance "seen" by the battery.

The capacitor sees things differently. It's discharging into the equivalent resistance between nodes e and f.

1. What is the equation for calculating the time it takes to discharge a capacitor when the switch is opened?

The equation for calculating the time it takes to discharge a capacitor when the switch is opened is t = RC, where t is the time in seconds, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads.

2. How do you determine the resistance and capacitance values for a specific circuit?

The resistance and capacitance values for a specific circuit can be determined by using a multimeter to measure the resistance and capacitance of the components in the circuit, or by consulting the circuit diagram or datasheet for the values.

3. Does the size of the capacitor affect the discharge time?

Yes, the size of the capacitor (measured in farads) does affect the discharge time. A larger capacitor will take longer to discharge compared to a smaller capacitor with the same resistance and voltage.

4. How does the resistance value impact the discharge time of a capacitor?

The resistance value has a direct impact on the discharge time of a capacitor. A higher resistance will result in a longer discharge time, while a lower resistance will result in a shorter discharge time.

5. What other factors can affect the discharge time of a capacitor?

Other factors that can affect the discharge time of a capacitor include the voltage across the capacitor, the type of dielectric material used in the capacitor, and the temperature of the surrounding environment.