Is there a link between fellatio and breast cancer risk?

• Thread starter TheStatutoryApe
  • Start date
In summary, a North Carolina State University study found that women who regularly perform the act of fellatio and swallow semen may reduce their risk of breast cancer by up to 40 percent. The study also revealed that there is no increased risk for those who do not regularly perform the act. The researchers stressed the importance of incorporating fellatio into one's daily routine to lower the risk of breast cancer. However, the study also showed that there are other factors that can contribute to breast cancer. In addition, an article from Scientific American pokes fun at their past one-sided coverage of evolution and scientific creationism.
TheStatutoryApe
Be sure to go to the link so you can apreciate the full glory of the joke. I have seen better though, the last like this I witnessed even somehow utilized an URL that looked as though it could have really been from CNN.
(AP) -- Women who perform the act of fellatio and swallow semen on a regular basis, one to two times a week, may reduce their risk of breast cancer by up to 40 percent, a North Carolina State University study found.

Doctors had never suspected a link between the act of fellatio and breast cancer, but new research being performed at North Carolina State University is starting to suggest that there could be an important link between the two.

In a study of over 15,000 women suspected of having performed regular fellatio and swallowed the ejaculatory fluid, over the past ten years, the researchers found that those actually having performed the act regularly, one to two times a week, had a lower occurance of breast cancer than those who had not. There was no increased risk, however, for those who did not regularly perform.

"I think it removes the last shade of doubt that fellatio is actually a healthy act," said Dr. A.J. Kramer of Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, who was not involved in the research. "I am surprised by these findings, but am also excited that the researchers may have discovered a relatively easy way to lower the occurance of breast cancer in women."

The University researchers stressed that, though breast cancer is relatively uncommon, any steps taken to reduce the risk would be a wise decision.

"Only with regular occurance will your chances be reduced, so I encourage all women out there to make fellatio an important part of their daily routine," said Dr. Helena Shifteer, one of the researchers at the University. "Since the emergence of the research, I try to fellate at least once every other night to reduce my chances."

The study is reported in Friday's Journal of Medical Research.

In 1991, 43,582 women died of breast cancer, as reported by the National Cancer Institute.

Dr. Len Lictepeen, deputy chief medical officer for the American Cancer Society, said women should not overlook or "play down" these findings.

"This will hopefully change women's practice and patterns, resulting in a severe drop in the future number of cases," Lictepeen said.

Sooner said the research shows no increase in the risk of breast cancer in those who are, for whatever reason, not able to fellate regularly.

"There's definitely fertile ground for more research. Many have stepped forward to volunteer for related research now in the planning stages," he said.

Almost every woman is, at some point, going to perform the act of fellatio, but it is the frequency at which this event occurs that makes the difference, say researchers. Also key seems to be the protein and enzyme count in the semen, but researchers are again waiting for more test data.

The reasearch consisted of two groups, 6,246 women ages 25 to 45 who had performed fellatio and swallowed on a regular basis over the past five to ten years, and 9,728 women who had not or did not swallow. The group of women who had performed and swallowed had a breast cancer rate of 1.9 percent and the group who had not had a breast cancer rate of 10.4 percent.

"The findings do suggest that there are other causes for breast cancer besides the absence of regular fellatio," Shafteer said. "It's a cause, not THE cause."
http://homepage.mac.com/nikkienikks/iblog/C294808266/E910814554/Media/cnn.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
LOL! And in keeping with the April Fool's Spirit, Scientific American got their digs in too! :rofl:

Okay, We Give Up

By The Editors

There's no easy way to admit this. For years, helpful letter writers told us to stick to science. They pointed out that science and politics don't mix. They said we should be more balanced in our presentation of such issues as creationism, missile defense and global warming. We resisted their advice and pretended not to be stung by the accusations that the magazine should be renamed Unscientific American, or Scientific Unamerican, or even Unscientific Unamerican. But spring is in the air, and all of nature is turning over a new leaf, so there's no better time to say: you were right, and we were wrong.

In retrospect, this mag-azine's coverage of so-called evolution has been hideously one-sided. For decades, we published articles in every issue that endorsed the ideas of Charles Darwin and his cronies. True, the theory of common descent through natural selection has been called the unifying concept for all of biology and one of the greatest scientific ideas of all time, but that was no excuse to be fanatics about it. Where were the answering articles presenting the powerful case for scientific creationism? Why were we so unwilling to suggest that dinosaurs lived 6,000 years ago or that a cataclysmic flood carved the Grand Canyon? Blame the scientists. They dazzled us with their fancy fossils, their radiocarbon dating and their tens of thousands of peer-reviewed journal articles. As editors, we had no business being persuaded by mountains of evidence...continued at Scientific American Digital

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa006&colID=2&articleID=000E555C-4387-1237-81CB83414B7FFE9F

Moonbear said:
LOL! And in keeping with the April Fool's Spirit, Scientific American got their digs in too! :rofl:

Awesome! And I love the title: "Okay, We Give Up"

:rofl:

TheStatutoryApe said:
Be sure to go to the link so you can apreciate the full glory of the joke.
I was sadly unaware of that research. The only related fact that I can recall is that approximately 79% of women with breast cancer attribute it to men who smoke.

http://www.google.com/jobs/lunar_job.html

ahahahah@ men who smoke

TheStatutoryApe said:
Be sure to go to the link so you can apreciate the full glory of the joke.
Hey! How many in favour of opening a PF cancer clinic? :biggrin: :devil: :biggrin:

Danger said:
Hey! How many in favour of opening a PF cancer clinic? :biggrin: :devil: :biggrin:
Lol... I'd be happy to preform my civic duty by being a catalyst for women's health but I'd have to insist that there be some sort of courtship involved. I'm not that kinda guy.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I'm not that kinda guy.
That's okay; I am. I'll teach you.

hahaha, i showed that to all my girlfriends... we got a kick out of it. Heh, i believe the common consensus was along the lines of "i'll take my chances with breast cancer" I remeber reading in a cosmo or something a while ago about how sperm helps dieting. Its amazing the things I've heard...

Gale17 said:
the common consensus was along the lines of "i'll take my chances with breast cancer"
This attitude is inconsistent with the chains and leather... :frown::biggrin:

Danger said:

I say aye! :biggrin:

Gale17 said:
hahaha, i showed that to all my girlfriends... we got a kick out of it. Heh, i believe the common consensus was along the lines of "i'll take my chances with breast cancer" I remeber reading in a cosmo or something a while ago about how sperm helps dieting. Its amazing the things I've heard...

Such dismal attitudes.

Just depriving yourselves right into the grave.

franznietzsche said:
I say aye! :biggrin:
Are you sure that's not "Aye" say I? :confused:

After much contemplating, I've got the meanest April Fool's joke ever planned! I'm bringing a delicious flourless chocolate-hazelnut cake to share with the lab tomorrow...I'm going to torture them with uncertainty! (I might just have to act a little suspicious when I share with them that it's there for them to enjoy. :rofl:) It really is a fabulous cake and there's not a thing wrong with it (other than there isn't nearly enough of it), but they know me well enough to make them think it might be a joke. :rofl: :rofl:

Moonbear said:
After much contemplating, I've got the meanest April Fool's joke ever planned! I'm bringing a delicious flourless chocolate-hazelnut cake to share with the lab tomorrow...I'm going to torture them with uncertainty! (I might just have to act a little suspicious when I share with them that it's there for them to enjoy. :rofl:) It really is a fabulous cake and there's not a thing wrong with it (other than there isn't nearly enough of it), but they know me well enough to make them think it might be a joke. :rofl: :rofl:
You should write "Happy April Fool's Day" on top in icing. ;-p

Moonbear said:
It really is a fabulous cake and there's not a thing wrong with it (other than there isn't nearly enough of it), but they know me well enough to make them think it might be a joke. :rofl: :rofl:
Do you remember 'disclosing tablets'? They were great for putting into stuff like that. :devil:

TheStatutoryApe said:
Be sure to go to the link so you can apreciate the full glory of the joke. I have seen better though, the last like this I witnessed even somehow utilized an URL that looked as though it could have really been from CNN.

http://homepage.mac.com/nikkienikks/iblog/C294808266/E910814554/Media/cnn.html
Hilarious! It made me think of this by "Mr. Abby"

Dear Mr. Abby:

Q: My husband continually asks me to perform oral sex on him.

A: Do it. Sperm can help you loose weight and gives a great glow
to your skin. Interestingly, men know this. His offer to allow you to
perform oral sex on him is totally selfless. This shows he loves you.
The best thing to do is to thank him by performing it twice a day.

SOS2008 said:
Sperm can help you loose weight
After a buddy of mine had his vasectomy, he joked to the ladies about having 'sperm lite'; same great taste with half the calories.

Danger said:
Do you remember 'disclosing tablets'? They were great for putting into stuff like that. :devil:

Do you mean those pink things for teaching kids how to brush their teeth that turn your whole mouth pink?

Moonbear said:
Do you mean those pink things for teaching kids how to brush their teeth that turn your whole mouth pink?
Yeah. Heh heh :devil:

Danger said:
Yeah. Heh heh :devil:

Is it safe to swallow that stuff if you mix it into frosting? :devil:

Moonbear said:

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa006&colID=2&articleID=000E555C-4387-1237-81CB83414B7FFE9F
Excellent--a little intellectual humor, along with our usual demented servings... Did someone say cake?

SOS2008 said:
Excellent--a little intellectual humor, along with our usual demented servings... Did someone say cake?

Yep. Being April Fool's Day, MIH's Birthday, and suspecting who may have kidnapped the thread, cake seemed necessary. I'll just leave it out on the table in the PF Lounge. Help yourself. Just ignore the scorch marks...I'll remember to just get those number candles for MIH next year instead of trying to put on one for every year. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Is it safe to swallow that stuff if you mix it into frosting? :devil:
Sure. As far as I know, it's just food dye mixed with an anti-catalyst that keeps it from staining where there's fluoride. If you remember, it only turned pink (actually kinda purple) where the toothpaste had missed. Anyhow, there's no way they'd have given it to kids if it was poisonous. (Unlike Tabasco buttermilk. :yuck:)

Danger said:
After a buddy of mine had his vasectomy, he joked to the ladies about having 'sperm lite'; same great taste with half the calories.
Heh! :rofl:

Danger said:
Sure. As far as I know, it's just food dye mixed with an anti-catalyst that keeps it from staining where there's fluoride. If you remember, it only turned pink (actually kinda purple) where the toothpaste had missed. Anyhow, there's no way they'd have given it to kids if it was poisonous. (Unlike Tabasco buttermilk. :yuck:)

I don't know, I remember that stuff turning everything pink...our teeth, our chins, our shirts...

Moonbear said:
I don't know, I remember that stuff turning everything pink...our teeth, our chins, our shirts...
And how long had it been since you'd brushed your teeth? :eek:

I recall a similar study suggesting men could reduce their risk of prostate disorders by similar means.

Last edited:
Chronos said:
I recall a similar study suggesting men could reduce their risk of prostate disorders by similar means.
This just gets better by the minute...

Danger said:
And how long had it been since you'd brushed your teeth? :eek:

They had us brush our teeth right before chewing the thing. I think it's all just one big advertisement for Crest toothpaste. It took an awful lot of scrubbing to get that pink stuff off. I think it was third grade. We thought it was hilariously funny, but I'm not sure the teacher was as pleased when it took far longer than planned to get us all cleaned up again (we were sort of frothing at the mouth with the pink stuff).

Chronos said:

By brushing their teeth? :uhh:

Chronos said:

Doesn't matter. If i live to be thirty, something went right, and thus violated the laws of physics.

I expected to die young too...guess I got bonus years now.

Moonbear said:

And once they've let their guard down, laxatives in the coffee? :wink: