Bifilar pendulum questions for my lab

In summary: However, if you post your results, we could help you analyze and interpret them.In summary, a student is conducting an investigation on bifilar pendulums in their physics class. The aim of the investigation is to determine the factors that affect the period of one swing of the pendulum. The student changed the length of the string as a variable for measuring the period and now has results. They are unsure of the equation for the period and length of the string, as well as other physics involved in the pendulum. The expression for the period of the bifilar pendulum is the same as the single string pendulum, where L is not the length of the strings but the vertical distance from the point(s) of support to the horizontal level
jenil_nz
hi,
i am doing an investigation in my physics class. its about bifilar pendulm.the aim of the investigaton is what thngs affect the period for one swing of the pendulum. so the the variable i changed for measuring the period was the length of string. now i have got my results but the only thing I am not sure about this is what's the equation for the period & length of the string & wat other physics is involved in the pendulum(torque,tension etc...)
if any1 know anything about this, then please help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
The expression for the period of the bifilar pendulum is the same as the sinfle string pendulum $$T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{L}{g}}$$ Of course here ##L## is not the length of the strings but the vertical distance from the point(s) of support to the horizontal level of the swinging mass.

jenil_nz said:
now i have got my results but the only thing I am not sure about this is what's the equation for the period & length of the string & wat other physics is involved
Can you show us your results? That way we can guide you towards your next step.

kuruman said:
The expression for the period of the bifilar pendulum is the same as the single string pendulum $$T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{L}{g}}$$ Of course here ##L## is not the length of the strings but the vertical distance from the point(s) of support to the horizontal level of the swinging mass.
How is that different from the string length? Which mode of oscillation are you referring to?

bob012345 said:
How is that different from the string length?
##L## is the distance from the axis of rotation to the center of mass of the pendulum bob.

bob012345 said:
Which mode of oscillation are you referring to?
There's only one mode for this oscillator. Meaning it only swings back and forth. It's a simple pendulum.

Mister T said:
##L## is the distance from the axis of rotation to the center of mass of the pendulum bob.There's only one mode for this oscillator. Meaning it only swings back and forth. It's a simple pendulum.
These pendulums are used to measure the moment of inertia of objects and they oscillate in the horizontal plane in that case, not in the vertical plane.

Also, note that the OP is from 2005.

bob012345 said:
How is that different from the string length? Which mode of oscillation are you referring to?
Imagine a "V" suspension with the mass at the apex. The length of the pendulum is the height of the isosceles triangle. The "V" suspension better constrains the pendulum motion in a vertical plane. THis is useful when making speed measurements at the lowest point of the motion using a photogate. The path of the bob that breaks and unbreaks the photogate beam needs to be perpendicular to the beam.

Yes, the OP is from 2005. Greg has tasked us with replying unanswered threads that receive Google hits to raise our profile.

Likes bob012345
kuruman said:
Imagine a "V" suspension with the mass at the apex. The length of the pendulum is the height of the isosceles triangle. The "V" suspension better constrains the pendulum motion in a vertical plane. THis is useful when making speed measurements at the lowest point of the motion using a photogate. The path of the bob that breaks and unbreaks the photogate beam needs to be perpendicular to the beam.

Yes, the OP is from 2005. Greg has tasked us with replying unanswered threads that receive Google hits to raise our profile.
I have seen the term bifilar pendulum to refer to the situation with two separate strings not meeting at the CM and the pendulum is oscillated around the vertical axis in the horizontal plane. Then the period is a function of the moment of inertia.

1469941512514.gif

Yes, that's the torsional bifilar pendulum. However OP is referring to swings which implies motion in a vertical plane not rotations about a vertical axis. Here is the interesting hybrid of "Y" suspension that provides a good basis for an experimental investigation of pendulum motion.

Likes bob012345
Mister T said:
Can you show us your results? That way we can guide you towards your next step.
The OP hasn't been here in 16 years so I doubt you'll get an answer.

1. What is a bifilar pendulum?

A bifilar pendulum is a type of pendulum that consists of two parallel strings or wires instead of one. This allows for more precise measurements and eliminates any potential friction between the pendulum and its support.

2. How does a bifilar pendulum work?

A bifilar pendulum works by using the principles of simple harmonic motion. When the pendulum is displaced from its equilibrium position, the strings or wires provide a restoring force that causes the pendulum to oscillate back and forth.

3. What are the advantages of using a bifilar pendulum in a lab experiment?

One advantage of using a bifilar pendulum in a lab experiment is its high degree of accuracy. The two strings or wires reduce any potential errors and allow for more precise measurements. Additionally, the absence of friction between the pendulum and its support ensures more accurate results.

4. How do you calculate the period of a bifilar pendulum?

The period of a bifilar pendulum can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(l/g), where T is the period in seconds, l is the length of the strings or wires in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity in m/s^2.

5. What are some potential sources of error when using a bifilar pendulum in a lab experiment?

Some potential sources of error when using a bifilar pendulum in a lab experiment include slight variations in the lengths of the strings or wires, air resistance, and the effects of temperature on the strings or wires. It is important to minimize these sources of error to ensure accurate results.