Electric Potential in a Conductor

In summary, we have a hollow metal spherical shell with a negative charge and a solid metal sphere with a positive charge, both with the same radius. The solid sphere is located inside the hollow sphere. The question asks to calculate the potential at different distances from the center of the spheres. The potential is found to be constant inside the solid sphere (r < ra) and 0 outside the spheres (r > rb). However, the potential between ra and rb is determined by the electric field inside the hollow sphere and outside the solid sphere. The understanding of potential is important in solving this problem.
saugei
#1. We have a hollow metal spherical shell with charge -q and with radius rb
#2. We have a soild metal sphere supported by an insulating stand with charge +q and radius rb
#3. The solid metal sphere is located in the center of the hollow metal spherical shell (aka. #2 is in #1)
The question asks me to calculate the potential, V(r) when:
A. r < ra
B. ra < r < rb
C. r > rb

The solution:

A. k*[(q/ ra)-(q/ rb)] where k= 1/(4*pi*epsilon_0)

C. k*[(q/r)-(q/r)] = 0

What I don’t understand:

A. The electric field in #2 is 0; hence the electric potential should be constant. So, I would think that the potential of r < ra should be V=k*(q/ ra) because it is telling us to find the potential inside of ra which should be a constant throughout the solid sphere. Right? Then how come the answer gives me the sum of the electric potential for #1 and #2??

C. I got totally lost at part C any clue please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
what is your understanding of potential, please.(you are online)

I would like to clarify a few things about the given scenario before providing a response. Firstly, it is important to note that the electric potential in a conductor is constant throughout the material. This means that the potential inside the solid metal sphere (#2) is the same at all points, regardless of the distance from the center. Therefore, the potential at r < ra would indeed be V=k*(q/ ra) as you mentioned.

Now, moving on to part A of the question - the potential at r < ra. In this case, we have a combination of two conductors - the hollow metal spherical shell (#1) and the solid metal sphere (#2). The potential at any point inside the solid sphere is affected by the charges on both conductors. This is why the solution gives the sum of the potentials due to both charges - k*[(q/ ra)-(q/ rb)]. This is because the potential at a point is the sum of the potentials due to all the charges present at that point.

For part C, we are looking at points outside the solid sphere, i.e. r > rb. In this case, the potential is only affected by the charge on the hollow metal spherical shell (#1). Since the potential at infinity is taken to be 0, the potential at any point outside the sphere would be 0 as well. This is because the potential due to the charge on the shell decreases as we move away from it, and at infinity, it becomes 0.

I hope this clarifies your doubts about the solution. It is important to understand that the potential at a point is affected by all the charges present in its vicinity, not just the ones on a single conductor.

1. What is electric potential in a conductor?

Electric potential in a conductor refers to the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge that is present in a conductor. This energy is present due to the movement of electrons within the conductor, and it is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electric potential in a conductor different from electric potential in an insulator?

The main difference between electric potential in a conductor and an insulator is the ability to conduct electricity. In a conductor, the electrons are free to move and distribute the electric potential evenly, while in an insulator, the electrons are tightly bound and do not move easily.

3. What factors affect the electric potential in a conductor?

The electric potential in a conductor is affected by several factors, including the amount of charge present, the distance between the charges, and the type of material the conductor is made of. It is also affected by the presence of other electric fields or charges nearby.

4. How is electric potential in a conductor measured?

Electric potential in a conductor is measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the difference in electric potential between two points. The unit of measurement for electric potential is volts (V).

5. How does electric potential in a conductor relate to electric fields?

Electric potential and electric fields are closely related. The electric potential at a point in a conductor is equal to the electric field strength at that point multiplied by the distance from a reference point. In other words, the electric potential is a measure of the work required to move a unit charge from one point to another in an electric field.