The speed of sound of the inflaton field

In summary, there are two definitions for the sound speed in the literature, one from a thermodynamic perspective and one for scalar fields. For a canonical scalar field, the effective sound speed is defined as the ratio of perturbations in the field and density, while the adiabatic sound speed is defined as the ratio of perturbations in pressure and density. However, for a scalar field, the effective sound speed is the correct definition for the speed of propagation.
chronnox
I've been reading about inflation and i encountered that one can always define the sound's speed as

[tex]c_s^2 \equiv \frac{\partial_X P}{\partial_X \rho}[/tex]

where [tex]X \equiv \frac{1}{2} g^{ab} \partial_a \phi \partial_b \phi[/tex]. In the case of a canonical scalar field [tex]P=X-V[/tex] and [tex]\rho=X+V[/tex], so [tex]c_s^2=1[/tex]. That is what is obtained by definition. But i can always consider [tex]P[/tex] and [tex]\rho[/tex] as a function of [tex]P=(X,\phi)[/tex] and [tex]\rho=(X,\phi)[/tex] so

[tex]P+\rho=2 X[/tex] and

[tex]\rho-P= 2 V[/tex]

taking variations of these last to equations i obtain

[tex]\delta P = - \delta \rho + 2 \delta X[/tex] (1) and

[tex]\delta P = \delta \rho - 2 \partial_\phi V \delta \phi[/tex] (2)

Recalling that in general [tex]P=(\rho,S)[/tex] then [tex]\delta P = c_s^2 \delta \rho + \tau \delta S[/tex]. Thus if i read the coefficient of [tex]\delta \rho[/tex] of eq. (1) one obtains that [tex]c_s^2 = -1[/tex] and [tex]\tau \delta S = 2 \delta X[/tex], but if i read the coefficient of eq. (2) one obtains [tex]c_s^2 = 1[/tex] and [tex]\tau \delta S = - 2 \partial_\phi V \delta \phi[/tex], according to the definition the correct reading would be the one done by (2) but is there another explanation of why reading the coefficient [tex]c_s^2[/tex] from (2) is the correct way, or is there a motivation for the first definition for [tex]c_s^2[/tex]?

Space news on Phys.org
The problem is that the literature often uses [itex]c_{\rm{s}}^2[/itex] to mean two different things, sometimes simultaneously. Looking at things from a thermodynamic perspective, one can write [itex]P=P(\rho,S)[/itex], and then perturb to give
[tex]\delta P=\frac{\partial P}{\partial\rho}\delta \rho +\tau \delta S[/tex]
where [itex]\frac{\partial P}{\partial\rho}[/itex] is then identified as the adiabatic sound speed-- i.e. the speed with which perturbations travel through the background.

Now, for a scalar field we can parametrise as [itex]P=P(X,\phi)[/itex]. Then, the adiabatic sound speed can be written as
[tex]c_{\rm{s}}^2=\frac{\partial P}{\partial\rho}=\frac{\partial_X P +\partial_\phi P}{\partial_X\rho+\partial_\phi\rho}[/tex]. By writing things like this, it should be apparent that this is not the same as the first expression you quote. It turns out that, for a scalar field, the speed of propagation is not the adiabatic sound speed, but in fact a different speed (say, the "effective sound speed"), which is defined as
[tex]\tilde{c_{\rm{s}}}^2=\frac{\partial_X P}{\partial_X\rho}[/tex]. If you like, you can show this by calculating the Klein-Gordon equation for the perturbation of the field and looking at the term in front of the spatial derivative.

What is the speed of sound of the inflaton field?

The speed of sound of the inflaton field refers to the propagation speed of perturbations or fluctuations in the inflaton field. This speed can vary depending on the energy scale of the inflaton field and the specific model being studied.

How does the speed of sound of the inflaton field affect the early universe?

The speed of sound of the inflaton field plays a crucial role in the dynamics of inflation, the rapid expansion of the early universe. A higher speed of sound can lead to a longer period of inflation, resulting in a larger universe and potentially affecting the formation of cosmic structures.

What factors determine the speed of sound of the inflaton field?

The speed of sound of the inflaton field is determined by the potential energy of the field and its coupling to other fields. In general, a steeper potential and a stronger coupling lead to a higher speed of sound.

How is the speed of sound of the inflaton field measured?

The speed of sound of the inflaton field can be measured through observations of the cosmic microwave background (CMB). The CMB contains imprints of the primordial density fluctuations generated by the inflaton field, which can be used to calculate the speed of sound.

Can the speed of sound of the inflaton field change over time?

Yes, the speed of sound of the inflaton field can change over time. In some inflationary models, the speed of sound can decrease as the universe expands, leading to a phenomenon known as "fast-roll inflation." This can have implications for the shape and amplitude of the primordial density fluctuations.