Proving Integrability of f(x)=sin(1/x) over [0,1]

• Thread starter mathdunce
  • Start date
In summary, there was a discussion regarding a proof of the integrability of a function over [0,1]. It was pointed out that the proof used epsilon in two different ways, and thus was incorrect. Another member provided a clearer explanation and the original poster thanked them for their help.
mathdunce

Homework Statement

Capture.JPG

Homework Equations

Prove that f is integrable over [0,1]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have seen some quite complicated solution on the web. For example, http://www.astarmathsandphysics.com/university_maths_notes/analysis/university_maths_notes_analysis_the_riemann_integral_of_sin_1_divided_by_x.html
My solution is a little different. Could you please check whether mine is correct? Thank you!
Capture3.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 729
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's something fishy about your proof. But I can't immediately put my hand on it...
Can you please state the squeeze theorem for me? My version of the squeeze theorem says something about limits, but I guess that's not what you're using here...

Your proof would actually imply that the function

[tex][0,1]\rightarrow \mathbb{R}:x\rightarrow \left\{\begin{array}{l} 0 ~ x\in \mathbb{Q}\\ 1 ~ x\in \mathbb{R}\setminus \mathbb{Q} \end{array}\right.[/tex]

is Riemann-integrable. But this is not the case...

micromass said:
There's something fishy about your proof. But I can't immediately put my hand on it...
Can you please state the squeeze theorem for me? My version of the squeeze theorem says something about limits, but I guess that's not what you're using here...

Your proof would actually imply that the function

[tex][0,1]\rightarrow \mathbb{R}:x\rightarrow \left\{\begin{array}{l} 0 ~ x\in \mathbb{Q}\\ 1 ~ x\in \mathbb{R}\setminus \mathbb{Q} \end{array}\right.[/tex]

is Riemann-integrable. But this is not the case...

Hello Micromass. Here is the integral version of the squeeze theorem. Basically, that theorem says if you can show the function is between two integrable functions and the integral of the difference of those two functions is smaller than any positive number, then the function in between is also integrable.
Here is the rigorous statement:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Real_Analysis/Riemann_integration

Ah fun, I haven't seen that theorem before.

But what's fishy about your proof is that you used [tex]\epsilon[/tex] in two fundamentally different ways.

First you split the problem up in [tex][0,\epsilon/4]\cup [\epsilon/4,1][/tex]. Let's not use epsilon here, but let's use a. So we split up the problem in [tex][0,a]\cup [a,1][/tex].

In order to apply the squeeze theorem here, you'll need to find for every epsilon, two functions p and q such that

[tex]\int_0^a{(q-p)}<\epsilon[/tex]

But the functions p and q do not apply in this case.

Hmm, I have a little trouble to explain what is wrong in this case. I hope you can see it...

micromass said:
Ah fun, I haven't seen that theorem before.

But what's fishy about your proof is that you used [tex]\epsilon[/tex] in two fundamentally different ways.

First you split the problem up in [tex][0,\epsilon/4]\cup [\epsilon/4,1][/tex]. Let's not use epsilon here, but let's use a. So we split up the problem in [tex][0,a]\cup [a,1][/tex].

In order to apply the squeeze theorem here, you'll need to find for every epsilon, two functions p and q such that

[tex]\int_0^a{(q-p)}<\epsilon[/tex]

But the functions p and q do not apply in this case.

Hmm, I have a little trouble to explain what is wrong in this case. I hope you can see it...
Thank you! But I can not see what is wrong with my proof. Yes, [tex]\epsilon[/tex] is used to split the interval and to construct the condition in the squeeze theorem. However, these two uses are consistent, because for any [tex]0<\epsilon<1[/tex] we can always split the interval like this. Anyway, I am not absolutely sure that I am right. That is why i posted. So please give me a clearer explanation.

Your function is dependant of epsilon. But the function in the squeeze theorem should be independent of epsilon. That is the main problem.

micromass said:
Your function is dependant of epsilon. But the function in the squeeze theorem should be independent of epsilon. That is the main problem.

Sorry, but I disagree.
1. If you look at the proof of the squeeze theorem, I changed the [tex]\int_a^b[/tex] to [tex]\int_0^{\frac{1}{4\varepsilon}}[/tex]. Since p and q are integrable over any [a,b] (a, b [tex]\in\mathbb{R}[/tex]), p and q are also integrable over the interval I picked. [tex]\varepsilon[/tex] here only means that interval can be arbitrarily small, but as long as it is positive, the integrability still holds.
2. The proof at http://www.astarmathsandphysics.com/university_maths_notes/analysis/university_maths_notes_analysis_the_riemann_integral_of_sin_1_divided_by_x.html
uses essentially very similar idea. In fact, they also split the interval and use something like a squeeze theorem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the link you provided is correct. I still disagree with your proof however. Maybe another member can shine some light here...

micromass said:
Yes, the link you provided is correct. I still disagree with your proof however. Maybe another member can shine some light here...

Anyway, you might be right, but I could not see it. Thank you!

You are abusing notation, terribly.

So, in your proof, you want to show f is integrable in [0,e/4]. In order to apply this squeeze theorem

[tex]
\int_{0}^{\frac{\epsilon}{4}} q - p < \delta
[/tex]

For every delta > 0. BUT!

[tex]
\int_{0}^{\frac{\epsilon}{4}} q - p = \epsilon /2
[/tex]

Let [tex] \delta = \epsilon /4. [/tex]

The thing is, your epsilon is fixed, while I can vary the delta.

l'Hôpital said:
You are abusing notation, terribly.

So, in your proof, you want to show f is integrable in [0,e/4]. In order to apply this squeeze theorem

[tex]
\int_{0}^{\frac{\epsilon}{4}} q - p < \delta
[/tex]

For every delta > 0. BUT!

[tex]
\int_{0}^{\frac{\epsilon}{4}} q - p = \epsilon /2
[/tex]

Let [tex] \delta = \epsilon /4. [/tex]

The thing is, your epsilon is fixed, while I can vary the delta.

OK, now I see why I was wrong.
l'Hôpital and Micromass, Thank you!

1. How do you prove the integrability of f(x)=sin(1/x) over [0,1]?

To prove the integrability of f(x)=sin(1/x) over [0,1], we need to show that the function is both bounded and continuous on the given interval. This can be done by using the squeeze theorem and showing that the function is sandwiched between two known integrable functions. We also need to show that the function is Riemann integrable, meaning that the upper and lower Riemann sums converge to the same value as the partition size approaches zero.

2. Why is the function f(x)=sin(1/x) over [0,1] not integrable?

The function f(x)=sin(1/x) over [0,1] is not integrable because it is not bounded on the given interval. As x approaches 0, the function oscillates infinitely, making it impossible to find an upper and lower bound. Additionally, the function is not continuous at x=0, which is a requirement for integrability.

3. What is the significance of proving integrability for a function?

Proving integrability for a function is important because it allows us to calculate the area under the curve of the function, which has many practical applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. It also allows us to evaluate definite integrals and solve various mathematical problems.

4. Can the integrability of f(x)=sin(1/x) over [0,1] be proven using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

No, the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus cannot be used to prove the integrability of f(x)=sin(1/x) over [0,1]. This is because the function is not continuous on the given interval, which is a requirement for the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to be applicable.

5. Are there any alternative methods for proving integrability besides using the squeeze theorem?

Yes, there are other methods for proving integrability, such as the Darboux criterion and the Cauchy criterion. These methods involve using upper and lower Riemann sums and the concept of partitions to show that the function is Riemann integrable. However, the squeeze theorem is often the most straightforward method for proving integrability in most cases.