Will the earth and sun ever be tidally locked?

In summary, the time it takes for a body to become tidally locked to another body depends on various factors such as the initial rotation speed, the distance between the bodies, their mass and radius, and other coupling factors. The Moon's tidal effect on the Earth is greater than the Sun's, making it more likely for the Earth to become tidally locked to the Moon first. However, even the Moon has not had enough time to fully tidal lock the Earth, and it is uncertain if the Earth will ever become tidally locked to the Sun due to the distance and mass differences between the two bodies. The formula for estimating the time for tidal locking to occur is: \frac{\omega a^6 I Q}{3GM^2k
ARAVIND113122
suppose there are two bodies,one revolving in an orbit around the other[like the Earth moon system]Differences in orbital and axial rotation of a small body results in a torque applied on it by the larger body. This results in the smaller body being tidally locked.
THEN WHY ISN'T THE EARTH TIDALLY LOCKED WITH THE SUN?WILL IT EVER BE?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
There hasn't been enough time. Even the Moon, which has ~twice the tidal effect on the Earth as the Sun does hasn't had enough time to tidally lock the Earth it.

Janus said:
There hasn't been enough time. Even the Moon, which has ~twice the tidal effect on the Earth as the Sun does hasn't had enough time to tidally lock the Earth it.

what's this TIME got to do with the above question? really I can't understand it and could you please explain me in detail.

As Janus says, the moon has ~twice the tidal effect as the sun, so it would seem unlikely until the moon's orbit moves far enough away from Earth that the sun has a greater effect or that the period of lunar orbit equals one Earth year.

Astro.padma said:
what's this TIME got to do with the above question? really I can't understand it and could you please explain me in detail.

As time progresses the Earth's rotation is slowing. The Earth and the moon might eventually be tidally locked if the moon doesn't drift away far enough to let the suns tidal forces on the Earth over come it's tidal forces on the Earth. At which point the Earth will become tidally locked with the sun.

Astro.padma said:

You can estimate the time it would take for one body to tidal lock to another by the formula:

[tex]\frac{\omega a^6 I Q}{3GM^2k_2 R^5}[/tex]

Tidal locking takes time to occur.

The factors include the initial rotation speed of the body, its distance from the other body, Its moment of Inertia, the Mass and radius of the body it is orbiting, plus a couple of coupling factors.

I mentioned the Moon because its tidal effect on the Earth is larger than the Sun's, so if not enough time has passed for the Moon to slow the Earth's rotation to match its orbit, then definitely not enough time has passed for the Sun the tidally lock the Earth to it.

Ummm...The moon is tidally locked.

The above equation is a good one though.

Last edited:
Thank you very much!

Travis_King said:
Ummm...The moon is tidally locked.
You missed the point. While the Moon is tidally locked to the Earth, the Earth is not tidally locked to the Moon.

Not to sound rude, but: so? The earth-moon and earth-sun systems are independent (barring the rotational effects the moon has on the earth). There's no sense in comparing the two.

Besides, the question is whether the Earth will become tidally locked to the Sun. In this case, the Earth is the satellite and the sun is the primary. In the earth-moon, the Earth is the primary and the moon is the satellite. The OP asked whether or not the Earth will be tidally locked to the Sun, not the other way around.

Janus said:
You can estimate the time it would take for one body to tidal lock to another by the formula:

Tidal locking takes time to occur.

The factors include the initial rotation speed of the body, its distance from the other body, Its moment of Inertia, the Mass and radius of the body it is orbiting, plus a couple of coupling factors.

I mentioned the Moon because its tidal effect on the Earth is larger than the Sun's, so if not enough time has passed for the Moon to slow the Earth's rotation to match its orbit, then definitely not enough time has passed for the Sun the tidally lock the Earth to it.

K...Thanks for the reply but is this what you meant by the above? : The Moon's tidal effect on the Earth is larger than that of the Sun's. So only at that point of time, when the Moon's effect gets decreased, the Sun could tidally lock the Earth?

Janus said:

Sir..Why in this context is the Moon's effect superior to that of the sun? Why do you think that the time to be taken by the Sun to tidally lock would be longer than the time taken by the Moon??

Astro.padma said:
Sir..Why in this context is the Moon's effect superior to that of the sun? Why do you think that the time to be taken by the Sun to tidally lock would be longer than the time taken by the Moon??

Tidal force is proportional to the mass exerting the force and inversely proportional to its distance. The moon is 1/27210884 the mass of the Sun, but it is 400 times closer. So the Sun's tidal force on the Earth is 27210884/400^3 = 0.4252 times that of the Moon.

It is This tidal force acting on the Earth which would cause it to lock with either the Earth or Moon. Since the Moon exerts the greater tidal force on the Earth, It would be the first to tidally lock the Earth to it.

Actually, if you look at the formula I gave for the time for tidal locking to occur, you will note that it increases by the distance between the bodies (a) to the power of 6, and decreases by the mass of the acting body by only the square of the mass.

So 400^6/27210884^2 = 5.53, meaning that it would take ~5.5 times longer for the Sun to lock the Earth to it than it would for the Moon to lock the Earth.

I see what you are saying. I stand corrected.

Janus said:
So 400^6/27210884^2 = 5.53, meaning that it would take ~5.5 times longer for the Sun to lock the Earth to it than it would for the Moon to lock the Earth.

Oh K...now I got it :) but I really wonder why couldn't the Moon yet tidally lock the Earth?? Not Enough time or anything else?? If it is a matter of time, on what assumptions was the equation given by you framed? I've tried to google it but couldn't find the answer.

The equation above describes the time required in those conditions to attain tidal locking.

It's not a matter of assumptions, really. It's a matter of physics, and I'm sure the equations were derived painstakingly and are very long.

Travis_King said:
The equation above describes the time required in those conditions to attain tidal locking.

If am not bugging you people, here what does it mean by "those conditions" ?

1. Will the Earth and Sun ever be tidally locked?

There is a possibility that the Earth and Sun could become tidally locked in the distant future, but it is not a certainty. It depends on several factors, including the rate of the Earth's rotation and the distance between the Earth and the Sun.

2. What is tidal locking?

Tidal locking is a phenomenon where a body's rotation and orbital periods match, causing one side of the body to always face the other. In the case of the Earth and Sun, this would mean that one side of the Earth would always face the Sun, while the other side would always face away.

3. How would tidal locking affect life on Earth?

If the Earth and Sun were to become tidally locked, it would drastically alter the Earth's climate. The side facing the Sun would experience constant daylight and extreme heat, while the side facing away from the Sun would be in permanent darkness and extreme cold. This would make it difficult for life to survive on either side.

4. Is tidal locking reversible?

Currently, there is no known way to reverse tidal locking. However, it is possible that the Earth's rotation could change due to external forces such as asteroid impacts or changes in the Earth's orbit. But these events are unlikely to occur in the near future.

5. How long would it take for the Earth and Sun to become tidally locked?

The process of tidal locking can take millions or even billions of years, depending on the initial rotation rate of the body and the distance between the two bodies. For the Earth and Sun, it is estimated that it would take around 50 billion years for the Earth to become tidally locked to the Sun, assuming that the Earth's rotation rate remains constant.