I want to study quantum physics

In summary, this person has some background in mathematics and classical mechanics and is looking to study quantum mechanics in depth. They need to be good in calculus and linear algebra before starting, and should first read and study Griffith's book on electrodynamics.
Haytham
hello guys,
currently i am a pediatrician, i am still 27y old, it has always been my dream to study quantum physics, this branch is not available in egypt
can anybody give me any tips on where i can study quantum physics ?

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of physics and math background do you have? This will determine how we steer you--toward descriptive (popular) books or towards physics texts.

Last edited:
Calculus and linear algebra are compulsatory prerequisites .

Haytham said:
hello guys,
currently i am a pediatrician, i am still 27y old, it has always been my dream to study quantum physics, this branch is not available in egypt
can anybody give me any tips on where i can study quantum physics ?

Its not a branch of physics, but rather a fundamental knowledge that every physics student must learn. So any university in your country that has a physics department must be offering the course.

To tackle the subject properly, you need some background in mathematics and some classical mechanics is helpful.
One of my favorite books on the subject:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0199560277/?tag=pfamazon01-20

There are also some video lectures by Leonard Susskind (professor of physics at Stanford):
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL84C10A9CB1D13841

For any of those to make sense, you need to understand the prerequisites well.

marcusl said:
What kind of physics and math background do you have? This will determine how we steer you--toward descriptive (popular) books or towards physics texts.

i studied AL-Mathematics and AS-Physics ( IGCSE ) at my hight school, that was the year 2002,
so i am familiar with calclus and mechanics
which are the colleges that i have a good chance in joining ?

Haytham said:
i studied AL-Mathematics and AS-Physics ( IGCSE ) at my hight school, that was the year 2002,
so i am familiar with calclus and mechanics
which are the colleges that i have a good chance in joining ?
Apparently there is at least Kafr el Sheikh University and Benha University that offer a bachelor degree in physics, in your country.

physiker_192 said:
Its not a branch of physics, but rather a fundamental knowledge that every physics student must learn. So any university in your country that has a physics department must be offering the course.

To tackle the subject properly, you need some background in mathematics and some classical mechanics is helpful.
One of my favorite books on the subject:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0199560277/?tag=pfamazon01-20

There are also some video lectures by Leonard Susskind (professor of physics at Stanford):
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL84C10A9CB1D13841

For any of those to make sense, you need to understand the prerequisites well.

Looks like a very painful book to try to tackle alone. That book might be much better if he had other people to bounce ideas with. But I guess if he really wants to learn quantum physics in depth and there is no one else around to help then he has little choice.

Edit: Hayham, if you can find a university to study physics in then that would be great. I don't really recommend trying to learn QM alone, its not a walk in the park so to speak and it seems you only had a high school degree so you have a long way to go. In the meantime, if you would like you can pick up this book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/080538684X/?tag=pfamazon01-20. Chapter 21-31 would be the equivalent of Calculus-Based Physics II course. Start there if you feel really comfortable with the physics and math, otherwise go back to chapter 1 and slowly review over the physics. Even then you still have more courses till you can start picking off some QM.

Physics is all fun and games when your reading popular-science books, I hope you realize that you have a long and arduous goal in front of you.

Last edited:
fluidistic said:
Apparently there is at least Kafr el Sheikh University and Benha University that offer a bachelor degree in physics, in your country.

All universities in Egypt has physics departments . There are more than 28 universities

It is not really difficult to study quantum mechanics alone . You can even study quantum mechanics and its consequences in atomic and nuclear physics without taking an introductory physics course . However you must be very good in calculus and linear algebra first . Electrodynamics is important too .study griffith book for electrodynamics first. Everything else can be studied later

Last edited:
zahero_2007 said:
It is not really difficult to study quantum mechanics alone . You can even study quantum mechanics and its consequences in atomic and nuclear physics without taking an introductory physics course . However you must be very good in calculus and linear algebra first . Electrodynamics is important too .study griffith book for electrodynamics first. Everything else can be studied later

Yes the basic quantum mechanics chapter in Modern Physics isn't hard but we are talking about someone who just recently graduated from high school. And I'm not sure of the actual course it self but from what people say, it gets pretty complicated. I once thought that I could tackle a quantum mechanics book, not surprisingly, I failed. Everything looked like random gibberish symbols. So you do need a good background and intuition in certain things ; something that is likely to be taken for granted given that you probably weren't in the position to skip the prior classes.

What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how particles behave and interact with each other on a quantum level, which is different from the classical physics that we experience in our everyday lives.

What are some real-world applications of quantum physics?

Quantum physics has many applications in modern technology, such as in computers, communication systems, and medical imaging devices. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and developing new materials, such as superconductors and quantum dots.

What are the prerequisites for studying quantum physics?

To study quantum physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Knowledge of classical physics, such as mechanics and electromagnetism, is also necessary.

What are the challenges of studying quantum physics?

Quantum physics can be a challenging subject to study because it involves complex mathematical concepts and abstract theories that are not always intuitive. It also requires a shift in thinking from the classical physics that we are used to. Additionally, conducting experiments in quantum physics can be difficult due to the delicate nature of quantum systems.

What career opportunities are available for someone who studies quantum physics?

A degree in quantum physics can lead to a variety of career opportunities, such as a research scientist in academia or industry, a physicist in a national laboratory, or a technology developer in the private sector. It can also open doors to other fields, such as finance, where quantum computing is becoming increasingly important.