Boundary of a product manifold

In summary, the conversation discusses the orientation of manifolds and their boundaries, specifically the boundary of the product of two manifolds. It is shown that the boundary of AxB is equal to the boundary of A times B plus (-1)^n A times the boundary of B. The conversation also explores different proofs and definitions, including a homeomorphism that is not a diffeomorphism. Ultimately, it is concluded that the original thought of using an indirect proof to show the reverse inclusion is correct.
mma
Is it true, that if [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] are oriented manifolds with boundary, having dimensions [itex]n[/itex] and [itex]m[/itex] respectivelly, then the boundary of [itex]A\times B[/itex] is

[itex]\partial(A\times B)=\partial A\times B + (-1)^n A\times \partial B[/itex]?

If not, then what can we say about the boundary of product manifolds? Could someone recommend a textbook or a lecture notes that discusses this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's how one typically orients the boundary of AxB.

Okay, but orientation is only one aspect of my question. I'm also curious that why is

[itex]\partial(A\times B)=(\partial A\times B) \cup (A\times \partial B)[/itex]

This should not be hard to prove directly: Assume dimA=m, dimB=n. Take a point (a,b) in dA x B. Two cases:
i) b is not a boundary point
ii) b is a boundary point
In case i), a nbhd of (a,b) is of the form Rm-1 x R+ x Rn ≈ Rm+n-1 x R+. Hence (a,b) is in d(AxB).
In case (ii), a nbhd of (a,b) is of the form Rm-1 x R+ x Rn-1 x R+. You just have to convince yourself now that R+ x R+ ≈ R x R+ to see that the above nbhd is just Rm+n-1 x R+ again. Hence (a,b) is in d(AxB) in this case also.
Etc.

quasar987 said:
You just have to convince yourself now that R+ x R+ ≈ R x R+

I think I can:

let's [itex] \psi_1: (R_+\backslash\{0\})\times [0,\pi] \to (R\times R_+)\backslash\{(0,0)\}[/itex]:[itex](r,\varphi)\mapsto (\cos\varphi,\sin\varphi)[/itex],

[itex]\psi_2: R^2\to R^2: (r,\varphi)\mapsto (r,2\varphi)[/itex],

then the mapping from [itex]R_+\times R_+[/itex] to [itex]R\times R_+[/itex] that leaves (0,0) fixed and the other points maps to [itex]\psi_1\circ\psi_2\circ\psi_1^{-1}[/itex] is a diffeomorphism from [itex]R_+\times R_+[/itex] to [itex]R\times R_+[/itex]

Your proof proves only that [itex]\partial(A\times B)\supseteq (\partial A\times B)\cup(A\times\partial B)[/itex], but I think that the reverse direction goes similarly. We can prove with your method that if (a,b) is not in the RHS set,then it also isn't in the LHS set. So you thought?

Last edited:
Latex is not showing up, but whatever your map is, I doubt it is a diffeomorphism. Because any homeomorphism F: R+ x R -- R+ x R+ must send boundary to boundary and hence it is not differentiable at F-1(0), where 0 is the "corner point" of R+ x R+.

What I meant by "R+ x R+ ≈ R x R+" was only a homeomorphism... because the boundary of a manifold, after all, is a topological concept.

So far, the argument I gave shows

[itex](\partial A\times B) \subset \partial(A\times B)[/itex]

But it goes without saying that we can get

[itex](\partial B\times A) \subset \partial(A\times B)[/itex]

in the same way. Hence we have so far

[itex]\partial A\times B + (-1)^n A\times \partial B \subset \partial(A\times B)[/itex]

For the reverse inclusion, pick (a,b) in [itex]\partial(A\times B)[/itex]. Then it has a nbhd of the form R+ x Rm+n-1. Find out which of a or b has one of its coordinates in R+. If it is a, then (a,b) is in dA x B. It if is b, then (a,b) is in A x dB.

Dear Quasar987, I greatly enjoy your concise and expressive explanations, they are really lucid, thank you for them.

Also thank you for your remark, that my map isn't a diffeomorphism. Really, as far as I see, however it is differentiable, it's inverse isn't at (0,0). (by the way, is it really a good definition for a bijective map to be smooth, that is sends every smooth curve into a smooth curve?)

Of course I screwed up my formula, I wanted to write [itex](r \cos\varphi, r \sin \varphi)[/itex] instead of [itex](\cos\varphi, \sin \varphi)[/itex], sorry. So, my map simply bends the y+ half axis to the x- half axis, and stretches the area between it and the x+ axis.

And one more note. I understand your proof for the reverse inclusion and I like it, but I'd also like to know if my original thought was correct or not. I imagined an indirect proof, that is, reversing the direction of the inclusion sign an also reversing the statements. If (a,b) is not in [itex](\partial A\times B) \cup (A\times \partial B)[/itex], then it has a whole nbhd inside [itex]A\times B[/itex], that is it isn't in [itex]\partial(A\times B)[/itex]. Is it correct so?

Last edited:
mma said:
Dear Quasar987, I greatly enjoy your concise and expressive explanations, they are really lucid, thank you for them.

I am touched by your words of thanks mma. I also enjoy discussing with you :)

mma said:
Also thank you for your remark, that my map isn't a diffeomorphism.
Really, as far as I see, however it is differentiable, it's inverse isn't at (0,0).

At the time I wrote my previous post, I could not see the latex code of your post, so I just said "whatever your homeomorphism is, the direction that goes from R+ x R into R+ x R+ , call it F, won't be differentiable at F-1(0)." The argument I had in mind is the following. For the sake of clarity, suppose that F-1(0)=0. Then, the limit defining ∂Fi/∂x at (0,0) will be different as you approach from the right and from the left.

mma said:
(by the way, is it really a good definition for a bijective map to be smooth, that is sends every smooth curve into a smooth curve?)
I doubt that it is, but it is a good criterion for deciding if a map is non-smooth :)

mma said:
And one more note. I understand your proof for the reverse inclusion and I like it, but I'd also like to know if my original thought was correct or not. I imagined an indirect proof, that is, reversing the direction of the inclusion sign an also reversing the statements. If (a,b) is not in [itex](\partial A\times B) \cup (A\times \partial B)[/itex], then it has a whole nbhd inside [itex]A\times B[/itex], that is it isn't in [itex]\partial(A\times B)[/itex]. Is it correct so?
Yes, it seems to be essentially the same as the argument I wrote.

Now it is quite clear, thank you again!

mma said:
Is it true, that if [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] are oriented manifolds with boundary, having dimensions [itex]n[/itex] and [itex]m[/itex] respectivelly, then the boundary of [itex]A\times B[/itex] is

[itex]\partial(A\times B)=\partial A\times B + (-1)^n A\times \partial B[/itex]?

If not, then what can we say about the boundary of product manifolds? Could someone recommend a textbook or a lecture notes that discusses this?

If you have two manifolds with boundary I think the product will be a manifold with corners.

I am thinking of the product of two closed intervals. This resulting rectangle has four corners. At the corners I wonder what happens.

1. What is the boundary of a product manifold?

The boundary of a product manifold is the set of points that lie on the edges or boundaries of the manifold. It is the collection of points where the manifold ends, and the space outside of the manifold begins.

2. How is the boundary of a product manifold defined?

The boundary of a product manifold is defined as the set of points where at least one of the coordinates of the product is equal to zero. This means that if we have a product of two manifolds, the boundary will consist of points where one of the manifolds has reached its boundary.

3. What is the significance of the boundary of a product manifold?

The boundary of a product manifold is significant because it helps define the topological properties of the manifold. It helps us understand the behavior of the manifold at the points where it ends and the space outside begins.

4. Can the boundary of a product manifold be empty?

Yes, the boundary of a product manifold can be empty. This happens when both of the manifolds in the product have no boundaries. In this case, the product manifold will also have no boundary.

5. How is the boundary of a product manifold different from the boundary of a single manifold?

The boundary of a product manifold is different from the boundary of a single manifold because it is a combination of the boundaries of each individual manifold in the product. The boundary of a single manifold is defined by itself and does not depend on any other manifold.