Gold and Titanium - can they react?

In summary: Thanks for the input.In summary, it sounds like you might have a small battery in your mouth that is causing reactions. You should consult with your dentist to see if they can remove it.
Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A few weeks ago, I got a titanium crown next to a gold crown. Now I'm getting weird reactions in my mouth. I emailed my dentist and will consult with him of course (PF rules and all). I'm not trying to get advice on what to do but I am wondering if it's possible from a periodic table view whether I may have a small battery in my mouth. Borek?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Borg said:
A few weeks ago, I got a titanium crown next to a gold crown. Now I'm getting weird reactions in my mouth. I emailed my dentist and will consult with him of course (PF rules and all). I'm not trying to get advice on what to do but I am wondering if it's possible from a periodic table view whether I may have a small battery in my mouth. Borek?

That's interesting.I don't know the answer but perhaps you could try a few initial experiments such as feeling what reactions you experience with different liquids in your mouth such as dry (or as dry as you can manage), saliva and salt water.
A thought just popped into my head.If you do have a mouth battery you could use it to power some LEDS which you arrange to get implanted in your teeth.It can give you an even brighter smile.:biggrin:

Borg said:

While I would have problems explaining the mechanism, it doesn't sound impossible to me. At the time I had amalgam fillings in my molars I remember having similar reactions when I happened to chew a piece of alufoil.

Titanium is highly reactive, just like aluminum it is corrosion resistant because of the oxide passivation. That means there is no problem with the oxidation half cell, as the oxide - while definitely strong - can be scratched exposing the raw metal surface. I don't see what can be happening with the gold, but perhaps it just serves as the inert electrode and it is oxygen that gets reduced on the surface?

That's it, now I am afraid I should ban myself for speculation :shy:

Please don't ban yourself. :smile: I appreciate your insight. I wouldn't think that a dentist would put them together if there was a possible reaction but, you never know. I'llkeep your speculations in mind and see what the doc tells me. Thanks.

@Dadface. I'll have to give the salt water test a try. I'll pass on the LEDs though.

Last edited:

I cannot provide personal medical advice, but I can offer some information about the potential reaction between gold and titanium. Both gold and titanium are relatively inert metals, meaning they do not easily react with other substances. However, in certain conditions, such as in the presence of an electrolyte like saliva, they may undergo a galvanic reaction, which is essentially a small battery. This can lead to corrosion or other reactions that may cause discomfort or irritation in the mouth.

It is important to consult with your dentist about any unusual reactions or discomfort you are experiencing. They will be able to assess the situation and determine the best course of action. It is also possible that the reaction may be due to other factors, such as an allergic reaction to the materials.

In terms of the periodic table, both gold and titanium are transition metals with similar electron configurations, so they are not likely to form a strong chemical bond with each other. However, they may still undergo a galvanic reaction due to their differing reactivity in the presence of an electrolyte.

I hope this information helps, but please remember to always consult with a medical professional for personalized advice and treatment.

1. Can gold and titanium form an alloy?

Yes, gold and titanium can form an alloy. This alloy is known as "titangold" and is a combination of gold and titanium atoms. However, the process of creating this alloy is complex and requires high temperatures and special equipment.

2. Will gold and titanium react when exposed to each other?

No, gold and titanium will not react when exposed to each other in normal conditions. Both elements are considered to be chemically inert, meaning they do not easily react with other substances. However, under extreme conditions such as high temperatures or with the presence of a catalyst, they may form an alloy.

3. Can gold and titanium be used together in jewelry?

Yes, gold and titanium can be used together in jewelry. The combination of the two elements creates a durable and lightweight material that is resistant to corrosion. However, the process of creating jewelry from this alloy is complex and requires specialized equipment and techniques.

4. Are there any potential health hazards associated with gold and titanium reacting?

No, there are no known health hazards associated with gold and titanium reacting. Both elements are considered to be biocompatible, meaning they are not harmful to living organisms. However, it is important to handle and work with these elements safely, as they can be hazardous in their pure form.

5. Can the reaction between gold and titanium be reversed?

Yes, the reaction between gold and titanium can be reversed by separating the elements through chemical or physical processes. However, this process may be difficult and may not result in the exact same elements as before the reaction. It is also important to note that the resulting elements may still contain some of the properties of the previous alloy.