Why won't PayPal accept my credit card for PF subscription?

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
In summary, PayPal won't accept my credit card, and customer service doesn't know why. Time to find contact info for PayPal and sit around on hold for an hour.
turbo
Gold Member
I tried to re-subscribe to PF this morning, and PayPal won't accept my credit card. Can't figure out why, for the life of me. Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
call your credit card company and ask them, maybe your card has been reissued with a different number due to some hack attack.

I called them. My card is fine and my account has a huge line of credit. According to customer service, PayPal has not even attempted to submit my subscription payment. Time to find contact info for PayPal, and sit around on hold for an hour, I guess.

From web searches it seems PayPal has a history of not processing credit cards and not providing info on why.

PayPal still won't accept the card, though the PP customer service reps say there is nothing wrong with the card.

jedishrfu said:
From web searches it seems PayPal has a history of not processing credit cards and not providing info on why.

You can't deduce too much from that, because people who DON'T have any problem with PayPal are unlikely to post that fact on web forums!

@Turbo, have you logged onto the Paypal site directly (https:whatever-it-is) to check your account details and if you have any messages? FWIW they changed their systems in Europe sometime last year because of new financial regulations following the banking crisis, which meant I effectively had to answer a few questions to carry on using my account. (Whether there was any point having to answer questions that amounted to "are you a potential terrorist or money launderer" is another matter, but ticking the right boxes was painless enough).

AlephZero said:
@Turbo, have you logged onto the Paypal site directly (https:whatever-it-is) to check your account details and if you have any messages?.
I don't have a PayPal account. I used a link to Greg's account to pay directly with a CC. I have been doing that in the past and it always worked fine, using the same CC.

Last edited:

1. Why is PayPal giving me so many issues?

PayPal is a complex system that involves multiple parties, such as buyers, sellers, and financial institutions. Sometimes, technical issues or human error can occur, leading to problems with transactions or account access.

2. What should I do if my PayPal account is not working properly?

If you are experiencing issues with your PayPal account, the first step is to check for any updates or maintenance notifications on the PayPal website. If there are no reported issues, you can try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, or using a different browser. If the issue persists, you can contact PayPal's customer support for assistance.

3. Why is my PayPal payment being declined?

There are a few reasons why a PayPal payment may be declined, such as insufficient funds in your account, incorrect card or bank information, or a security issue. It is best to double-check your account and payment details before attempting the transaction again.

4. How can I protect my PayPal account from fraud?

To protect your PayPal account from fraud, it is important to use a strong and unique password, enable two-factor authentication, and regularly monitor your account for any unauthorized activity. You should also be cautious when clicking on links or entering personal information on unfamiliar websites that claim to be PayPal.

5. Can I still use PayPal if I don't have a bank account or credit card?

Yes, you can still use PayPal without a bank account or credit card by linking it to a prepaid debit card or adding funds to your PayPal account through alternative methods, such as cash at certain retail locations. However, some features may be limited without a linked bank account or credit card.