What are the characteristics of pine trees in Northern Canada?

In summary: I notice that the trees in the photos you've attached have much skinnier branches than the ones I saw. Do you think this is because they grow in a denser forest with less wind resistance, or is it because they are grown on a wetter flood plain where the bark can grow back more quickly?The trees in the photos you've attached have much skinnier branches than the ones I saw. Do you think this is because they grow in a denser forest with less wind resistance, or is it because they are grown on a wetter flood plain where the bark can grow back more quickly?The trees in the photos you've attached have much skinnier branches than the ones I saw. Do you
enosis_
My neighbor recently visited Northern Canada on a hunting trip. He took a great many photos. Upon review, I noticed they have very tall and skinny pine trees with very full tops. He described the soil as very thin, perhaps less than 12", and solid rock below.

Accordingly, I'm wondering if anyone is knowledgeable about the characteristics of these trees.

It appears they are skinny to resist wind resistance. However, given their height and the reported soil thickness, I would assume the root systems would resemble an inter-woven quilt through the soil and above the rock?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
You get tall and skinny pine trees with full tops anywhere in a dense forest.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22026080/pine-forest-landes-france-1600x1200-id-201.jpg [Broken]

Which gets more obvious when you start cutting them down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Understood, however, the trees in the photos I saw didn't look like these - the branches were MUCH skinnier.

I don't see thick branches there. But anyway there are many pine species with different looks. The one in the pic seems a Pinus sylvestris to me, which is not that abundant in Canada. Notice the complete different shape, when they get more room to grow.

Typical arctic adaptation is dwarf growth and occasionally dead tops when the snow protected the lower parts from freezing to death. Unfortunately I cant' find a good picture to illustrate that.

Borrow or rent the Planet Earth video series. You'll see that what we call the Boreal forest requires special adaptations if trees are to survive there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiga

How do I make the picture appear?

Couldn't delete-just edit?

Last edited:
got it

enosis_ said:
How do I make the picture appear?

here is your pic in a decent size. Sometimes you have to download it, resize it with some program like paint, not to exceed 800 pixels in width and then re-up it somewhere like in www.tinypic.com and then link to it with tags

[PLAIN]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22026080/Taiga_Landscape_in_Canada.jpg [Broken]

If you can delete the big picture, the thread stays manageable.

Also note that the trees we're looking at are maybe spruce, like this, not pines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Andre! I saved the tinypic site for future use.

Yes Andre, I see the similarity to the Spruce. Either way, would the root systems on this type of tree typically grow in a wide pattern and interwoven in the shallow soil?

That's what you would expect, Here is some more information.

Andre said:
That's what you would expect, Here is some more information.

Your link is quite helpful Andre - thank you. I do find it surprising the trees grow best in well-drained soils. I observed growths in a very moist flood plain that were comparable to growths on a well drained hillside?

Also note that in forrestry plantations, trees often get trimmed of their lower branches quickly as they grow.
This encourages the tree to grow straighter and also to have fewer and smaller knots along the length of the trunk
Both these features are required for good lumber production

Dave

1. What types of pine trees are found in northern Canada?

There are several types of pine trees found in northern Canada, including the Eastern White Pine, Balsam Fir, Black Spruce, and Jack Pine.

2. How do pine trees survive the harsh climate in northern Canada?

Pine trees have adapted to survive the cold and harsh climate in northern Canada by having a conical shape that allows snow to slide off, thick bark to protect against freezing temperatures, and flexible branches that can withstand heavy snow loads.

3. Do pine trees in northern Canada have any medicinal uses?

Yes, pine trees in northern Canada have been used by Indigenous communities for medicinal purposes for centuries. The needles can be used to make tea, which is high in vitamin C and can help with respiratory issues and colds.

4. How do pine trees in northern Canada contribute to the ecosystem?

Pine trees play a crucial role in the ecosystem of northern Canada. They provide shelter and food for many animals, such as birds and squirrels, and their fallen needles create a nutrient-rich layer on the forest floor, helping to sustain other plants and organisms.

5. Are pine trees in northern Canada at risk of deforestation?

Yes, pine trees in northern Canada are at risk of deforestation due to human activities such as logging and oil and gas development. Climate change and forest fires also pose a threat to these trees. It is important to manage these activities carefully to protect the delicate balance of the ecosystem and preserve these trees for future generations.