$1.3 billion Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) gets approved

In summary, the Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) is a proposed observatory that would cost at least $1 billion to build and is expected to be completed by the end of the decade. Despite this large cost, a new 5-year grant of $250,000 per year from the National Science Foundation (NSF) is seen as a significant milestone by TMT backers. Some have expressed doubts about the technological feasibility of building a telescope larger than 20 meters, but others remain hopeful and excited about the potential advancements in technology. Ultimately, the limits of technology are constantly being pushed and the universe knows no limits.
The Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT), a giant observatory that astronomers hope to build by the end of this decade, is expected to cost at least $1 billion. So a grant of $1.25 million may seem miniscule. Nonetheless, the backers of TMT are viewing a new 5-year, $250,000-per-year grant from the National Science Foundation (NSF) as a significant milestone.

http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2013/03/thirty-meter-telescope-gets-smal.html

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I've once heard a senior astronomer claim that anything beyond 20 meters is technologically not feasable. But I hope they'll overcome all the difficulties, because this is just too exciting!

stargazer3 said:
I've once heard a senior astronomer claim that anything beyond 20 meters is technologically not feasable. But I hope they'll overcome all the difficulties, because this is just too exciting!

Hence, "senior" - Just like the Victorian minds (18-19th century) told Einstein that he was full of crap. Although this is merely one example. In my opinion, life will perpetually continue to advance technology into more complex and astounding measures.
There are only the limits we set and make real, the universe knows of no such limits.

1. What is the $1.3 billion Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT)?

The Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) is a proposed astronomical observatory that will be built on Maunakea in Hawaii. It will be one of the most advanced and powerful telescopes in the world, with a primary mirror that is 30 meters in diameter.

2. Why was the TMT approved?

The TMT was approved because it has the potential to greatly advance our understanding of the universe and make groundbreaking discoveries in astronomy. The telescope will have 10 times the resolving power of the Hubble Space Telescope, allowing scientists to see farther and more clearly into space.

3. When will the TMT be completed?

The TMT is expected to take 10 years to complete, with construction starting in 2020. However, there have been delays due to protests and legal challenges from Native Hawaiian groups who consider Maunakea a sacred site.

4. How will the TMT impact the local community?

The TMT is expected to bring economic benefits to the local community, including job opportunities and increased tourism. However, there have been concerns about the impact on the environment and cultural significance of Maunakea.

5. Is there opposition to the TMT?

Yes, there has been opposition to the TMT from Native Hawaiian groups and environmentalists. They argue that the construction of the telescope will further damage a sacred site and threaten the fragile ecosystem on Maunakea. Protests and legal challenges have delayed the project and sparked a debate about the balance between scientific progress and cultural preservation.