How can I memorize temp and pressure conversions

• Thread starter jim1174
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary: It's like learning a phone number. You mean converting between different units?It's a serious pain. usually I get the order mixed up - I can get it by remembering some common values.i.e. room temp = 20C = 72F so the F values need to be bigger .I have trouble memorizing fractions but I can recall a sentence so I write conversions on one line like:5(F-32) = 9C = 9(K-274)But 9/5 is almost 1/2 so, for smallish numbers F = about 2C+32Basically play to your strengths: what sort of stuff is easy to remember.But really - these
jim1174
I am learning how to do temperature and pressure conversions for a process technology class. do you have any advice that can help me memorize how to do this stuff? How did you learn to memorize this stuff and was it hard for you to memorize?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You mean converting between different units?
It's a serious pain. usually I get the order mixed up - I can get it by remembering some common values.
i.e. room temp = 20C = 72F so the F values need to be bigger .

I have trouble memorizing fractions but I can recall a sentence so I write conversions on one line like:
5(F-32) = 9C = 9(K-274)

But 9/5 is almost 1/2 so, for smallish numbers F = about 2C+32

Basically play to your strengths: what sort of stuff is easy to remember.
But really - these are not difficult formulae requiring mnemonics or other memory tricks.
It's like learning a phone number.

Simon Bridge said:
You mean converting between different units?
It's a serious pain. usually I get the order mixed up - I can get it by remembering some common values.
i.e. room temp = 20C = 72F so the F values need to be bigger .

I have trouble memorizing fractions but I can recall a sentence so I write conversions on one line like:
5(F-32) = 9C = 9(K-274)

But 9/5 is almost 1/2 so, for smallish numbers F = about 2C+32

Basically play to your strengths: what sort of stuff is easy to remember.
But really - these are not difficult formulae requiring mnemonics or other memory tricks.
It's like learning a phone number.

Yea like converting Psi to psig or Celsius to kelvin. I can do it if I look at my cheat sheet but I think I am going to Need to memorize it.

If you are doing lots then you probably do need to memorize them. yep.
Fiddle about with the cheat sheet looking for patterns ... also, read through the sheet in bed just before turning out the light, then see how many you remember first thing in the morning when you wake up.

But they are really just like phone numbers - does anyone remember phone numbers these days?

Do what the rest of us did. Use your cheat sheet until you don't need it any more.

Chet

Best way for C to F is this:

2*C - (2*C/10) + 32

so 20 C would be:

2*20 = 40
(2*20)/10 = 4
40-4 = 36
36 +32 = 68 F (72 F is more like 22 C)

It's very easy to do in your head.

F to C is a bit more difficult, and slightly less accurate:

[(F - 32)/2] + [(F - 32)/2]/10

so X=(F-32)/ 2
X=(68-32)/2
X=18
18/10 = 1.8
18+1.8 = 19.8, which is pretty close to 20.

EDIT (fyi, the actual calc would be (F-32)/2 * 10/9, or the more formal (5/9)*F-32, but that's not done quickly in the head, the one above is a quick, and close, approximation)

For other conversions, yea, just use a cheat sheet until you've used it enough that the conversions come easier. Try to first memorize some common/milestone values. (For instance 1 psi to kPa, 100 psi to kPa, etc) so that you at least can estimate the order of magnitude. Accuracy will come with practice.

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
But they are really just like phone numbers - does anyone remember phone numbers these days?
Some of us do. I can remember the phone number at the house my family lived in between '54 and '58... SU 3-4594. I don't know why that one has stuck, but it has.

1. How can I remember the formula for converting between Celsius and Fahrenheit?

The formula for converting from Celsius to Fahrenheit is F = (9/5)C + 32, where F is the temperature in Fahrenheit and C is the temperature in Celsius. To remember this, you can use the phrase "Five Cats and Thirty-two" as a mnemonic device.

2. What is the best way to memorize the conversion between Kelvin and Celsius?

The conversion between Kelvin and Celsius is fairly simple - simply add 273 to the temperature in Celsius to get the temperature in Kelvin. To remember this, you can use the phrase "Celsius Plus 273" as a memory aid.

3. How can I keep track of all the different pressure units and their conversions?

One way to remember the different pressure units and their conversions is to create a chart or table to reference. You can also use mnemonic devices, such as "Pascal King Henry Dies By Drinking Chocolate Milk" to remember the order of units in the metric system (Pascal, kiloPascal, hectoPascal, decaPascal, Bar, deciPascal, centiPascal, milliPascal).

4. Is there a trick to remembering the conversion between atmospheres and pascals?

The conversion between atmospheres and pascals is simply 1 atm = 101325 Pa. To remember this, you can use the phrase "One Apple for One Pound" to represent the numerical value of the conversion.

5. How can I memorize the conversion between different pressure units such as psi, mmHg, and Torr?

To remember the conversion between psi, mmHg, and Torr, you can use the phrase "Party in My Mansion Tonight" where each letter stands for a unit of pressure (psi = pounds per square inch, mmHg = millimeters of mercury, Torr = Torricelli's unit).