What are some good books on linear algebra for a pure math major?

• Studying
  • Thread starter bomba923
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for good rigorous books on linear algebra, with a focus on the theoretical or practical approach. Some suggested books include Friedberg's book and Axler's Linear Algebra Done Right. Other suggestions include checking the preface and topics of the book before purchasing, and seeking second-hand books for a better deal. The definition of linear independence is also mentioned, with several examples given. The conversation ends with a discussion about linear algebra being a general math course and its relevance to different college majors.
bomba923
What are some good rigorous books on linear algebra?

I am a HS senior, but I fear that college may not cover linear algebra as intensively as...well, would be preferred by a prospective pure math major (me! :redface:).
:shy:
So, what books would you suggest?

Physics news on Phys.org
theory or practical?

i like my friedberg book its served me well.

Theoretical: Sheldon Axler, Linear Algebra Done Right.
A rigorous grounding in the theory with powerful de-emphasis of matrix methods. Without matrices, the results of the theory are very clear and intuitive. Determinants aren't even introduced (nor are they necessary) until the last chapter. There are even some cute applications in there that I haven't seen in any of those matrix theory books.

bomba923 said:
I am a HS senior, but I fear that college may not cover linear algebra as intensively as...well, would be preferred by a prospective pure math major (me! :redface:).

The best thing to do is to go to the second hand bookstore and search yourself.

First, read the preface. That's very important because it tells you who the book is written for, and what they expect the reader to know.

Second, take a glance at the topics. You certainly don't want a book that's filled with topics like... "Applications to...". Not that it's a bad thing, but from my experience authors do this to make math "more" fun, but it is already FUN! This usually results in a book dependent on visualization, which, in my opinion, is not the best thing for a prospective pure math student.

Third, read some pages at the beginning, or in the middle. Try to get a feel for the book. If you don't know what the symbols are, don't let that scare you, since you will learn them as you read.

Anyways, if it turns out to be crappy, it's no big deal because you only paid $5 for it at the second hand bookstore. :biggrin:

JasonRox said:
Third, read some pages at the beginning, or in the middle. Try to get a feel for the book. If you don't know what the symbols are, don't let that scare you, since you will learn them as you read.
(Scare me??) Hey--if I understand the symbols in the middle of the book~~>then it already is, probably, too easy :rolleyes:

i have written one, it is free and covers 1 or 2 semesters of collerge level lienar algebra, and is noyl 15 pages long. goto http://www.math.uga.edu/~roy/ and take class notes #1, with my compliments.
or for a better one, goto sharipov's webpage.

or buy hoffman and kunze, or shilov. there are lots of good books out there.

i would be curious to know if my book has any value to anyone however. so far i have very little feedback.:smile:

Last edited:
the first thing to learn is the meaning of linear independence. here it is:

if R is any commutative ring with 1, and V is an abelian group allowing multiplication by elements of R, then a collection {a1,...an,...} of elements of V is "linearly independent over R" if and only if the only equation

c1a1+...+cmam = 0, which is true, where the a's are from the collection, nd the c's are from R, is one with all the c's equal to 0.test:

1) prove the monomials, 1, x, x^2, are linearly independent over the real numbers, but not over the ring of polynomials.

2) prove the functions 1, e^x, e^2x, are independent over the reals, but not over the ring of real valued continuous functions.

3) prove that the real numbers {1, sqrt(2)} are linearly independent over the rationals, but not over the reals.

4) prove that in the space of all pairs (a,b) of real numbers, there exist 2 independent pairs, but any three pairs are dependent (over the reals).

if you can do these you will be fine.

I would HIGHLY recommend "The Theory of Matrices" by Lancaster et. al. I'm not too sure if it's even in publication any more, but it shouldn't be too hard to get a used copy--there's one at powells.com for only $22 right now! Get it!

bomba923 said:
Just curious as to where you think Linear Algebra will be covered if not at a univeristy? Where do you suppose Math Majors get Linear Algebra?:confused:

Hmm...
I thought linear algebra was a general math course, usually taken part of general education or other requirements, for any college major (usually in the sciences).

I am not sure about your school, but here we have two linear algebra classes. One is applied, the other is pure. The first is taken by engineering and cs majors, the latter is taken by math and physics majors.

mathwonk said:
...commutative ring with 1, and V is an abelian group...
You lost me there. :rofl:

1. What is the purpose of books?

Books serve multiple purposes, including entertainment, education, and information dissemination. They can also serve as a means of communication and self-expression.

2. How are books made?

Books are typically made by printing text and images onto paper and binding them together into a book format. However, with the rise of digital media, books can also be created and distributed electronically.

3. What makes a book successful?

A successful book can be defined in various ways, but typically it involves high sales, critical acclaim, and a lasting impact on readers. Factors that contribute to a book's success include strong writing, engaging plot or subject matter, effective marketing, and good timing.

4. How have books changed over time?

Books have undergone significant changes throughout history, from the invention of the printing press to the rise of e-books and audiobooks. They have also evolved in terms of format, content, and accessibility, reflecting the changing needs and preferences of readers.

5. Are physical books becoming obsolete?

While the popularity of e-books and digital media has increased in recent years, physical books are still widely read and produced. Many people still prefer the tactile experience of reading a physical book, and they continue to hold value as collectibles and cultural artifacts.