Math Rules Chem

• Thread starter PrudensOptimus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem Rules
In summary: Originally posted by PrudensOptimus What does that have to do with NO?they're just proving that you can't just have hydroxide and h2o2 equal in your equations, because they're not the same - that's what the parentheses are for. In summary, the molecular formula of this compound is N_{5}O_{15}.
PrudensOptimus
Math Rules Chem:)

[tex]NO_3[/tex]

What is the molecular formula of this compound if molar mass is 324.06.

Math begins:

[tex]aN + bO = 324.06[/tex]

[tex]N=14, O = 16[/tex]

[tex]14a + 16b = 324.06[/tex]

[tex]N = O/3, O = 3N, a = b/3, b = 3a[/tex]

[tex]a = 162.03/32 =~ 5, b =~ 15. [/tex]

[tex]N_{5}O_{15}[/tex]

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If N=14 and and N=O/3, then 14=O/3 so O=14/3=4.66666... but you say O=16. I think I'm confused.

Originally posted by BluE
If N=14 and and N=O/3, then 14=O/3 so O=14/3=4.66666... but you say O=16. I think I'm confused.

How old are you?

Is there a point to this thread?

How old are you?

What, did I say something wrong?

Oh. Now I see. 14 and 16 are the amu of them. I didn't look at it.

Originally posted by PrudensOptimus
[tex]NO_3[/tex]

What is the molecular formula of this compound if molar mass is 324.06.

Math begins:

[tex]aN + bO = 324.06[/tex]

[tex]N=14, O = 16[/tex]

[tex]14a + 16b = 324.06[/tex]

[tex]N = O/3, O = 3N, a = b/3, b = 3a[/tex]

[tex]a = 162.03/32 =~ 5, b =~ 15. [/tex]

[tex]N_{5}O_{15}[/tex]

Your work is wrong. The question has no answer. First it TELLS you the formula then it asks for a formula OF THE SAME COMPOUND but with a different mass.
Anybody who knows anything about chemistry will tell you that the same compound will have the same formula. You can't just multiply each of the subscripts by a common factor to get a new formula for "the same compound", it doesn't work like that. OH and H2O2 are NOT the same. They don't have the same name, properties, or even charge. Let's look at another formula; C3H8. If we multiply the subscripts by 2 we get C6H16. The problem is that C6H16 doesn't even exist; it has too many hydrogens.

You can't just multiply the subscripts by a common factor like that.

ShawnD: I think you need to look into the context of this particular question. The first line is the empirical formulae, which is essentially just the ratios of atoms in each molecule of the compound. The answer PO derived is correct.

Though IMHO, he dragged it out much more than he should have. The simplest way is just to calculate molar mass for the empirical formula, divide this from your given real mass, and multiple each subscript by the result of the above.

Originally posted by FZ+
ShawnD: I think you need to look into the context of this particular question. The first line is the empirical formulae, which is essentially just the ratios of atoms in each molecule of the compound. The answer PO derived is correct.

Though IMHO, he dragged it out much more than he should have. The simplest way is just to calculate molar mass for the empirical formula, divide this from your given real mass, and multiple each subscript by the result of the above.

I should write a research paper on this :) Using real math to solve chemistry.

Originally posted by PrudensOptimus
I should write a research paper on this :) Using real math to solve chemistry.
Too bad your math does not take into the equation the chemical relevancy of the answer.

As Shawn said, C3H8 exists, but C6H16 (everything times 2) does not.

Originally posted by Monique
Too bad your math does not take into the equation the chemical relevancy of the answer.

As Shawn said, C3H8 exists, but C6H16 (everything times 2) does not.

I don't know what you are talking about because I'm still teaching myself chemistry... and probably some advance stuff u were mentioning.

Anyways, like every other thing, there was a pioneer. :) Be glad you replied to this thread today, because ... :smile: :wink:

There already is a formula for the kind of compound I mentioned (alkanes):

H = 2x C + 2

So it is C3H8 and C6H14.

Originally posted by Monique
There already is a formula for the kind of compound I mentioned (alkanes):

H = 2x C + 2

So it is C3H8 and C6H14.

What does that have to do with NO?

they're just proving that you can't just have hydroxide and h2o2 equal in your equations

1. What is the relationship between math and chemistry?

The relationship between math and chemistry is that math is used to describe and understand the physical and chemical properties of matter. Math helps chemists quantify and analyze data, make predictions, and solve problems in the field of chemistry.

2. How do math rules apply to chemistry?

Math rules apply to chemistry in the sense that they help us understand and describe the behavior of atoms and molecules. Mathematical equations and formulas are used to calculate concentrations, reaction rates, and other important parameters in chemistry.

3. Can chemistry be understood without knowing math?

While it is possible to have a basic understanding of chemistry without knowing advanced math, a deeper understanding of chemical principles and processes requires a strong foundation in math. Many concepts in chemistry, such as stoichiometry and equilibrium, rely heavily on mathematical calculations.

4. What are some examples of math being used in chemistry?

Some examples of math being used in chemistry include calculating molar mass, using the Ideal Gas Law to determine the volume or pressure of a gas, and using logarithms to express pH values in acid-base chemistry. Math is also used to calculate reaction yields, determine reaction mechanisms, and analyze spectroscopic data.

5. How can I improve my math skills for chemistry?

To improve your math skills for chemistry, it is important to have a strong understanding of algebra, geometry, and basic calculus. Practice solving chemistry problems that involve mathematical calculations and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed. Additionally, familiarize yourself with the symbols and units commonly used in chemistry, as well as the rules and formulas for solving different types of problems.