Simple Rotation + Angular Velocity Question

In summary, the problem is asking for the angular speed at which both reels have the same amount of tape during playback. The equations used to solve the problem are based on the conservation of tape on each reel and the average radius of the tape. The answer to the problem is found by solving for the angular speed using the given values for length and time.
AiLove
This problem is from Tipler's Physics for Scientists and Engineers, Chapter 9, Problem 15.
The tape in a standard VHS videotape cassette has a length L = 246 m; the tape plays for 2.0 h (Figure 9-36). As the tape starts, the full reel has an outer radius of about R = 45 mm, and an inner radius of about r = 12 mm. At some point during the play, both reels have the same angular speed. Calculate this angular speed in rad/s and rev/min.

I've thought about this problem for a while, and I don't understand what they're asking. I assumed the cassette was going at constant angular velocity, but I guess not. I looked at the answer for this problem, the first part of which is below, and it confused me even more. They seem to take some sort of average radius, and then use that as the radius for a w = vr equation. There is a diagram included, which just shows a VHS tape with the radii (12 mm and 45 mm) labeled.

1. At the instant both reels have the same area, 2(Rf^2 - r^2) = R^2 - r^2
2. Solve for Rf
Rf = 32.9 mm = 3.29 cm

Where is the [2(Rf^2 - r^2) = R^2 - r^2] equation from?

Physics news on Phys.org
Those equations simply measure how much tape is on each reel. The left side indicates the two reels contain the same amount of tape (factor of 2) and equating that to the right side says that "tape is conserved." :)

The equation [2(Rf^2 - r^2) = R^2 - r^2] is derived from the conservation of angular momentum. In this problem, the tape starts at rest, so the initial angular momentum is zero. As the tape plays, the outer reel spins faster and the inner reel spins slower, but the total angular momentum of the system remains constant. This means that the angular momentum of the outer reel must equal the angular momentum of the inner reel at some point during the play. This point is when both reels have the same angular speed, which is what the problem is asking for.

To solve for this angular speed, we can use the formula for angular momentum, L = Iw, where I is the moment of inertia and w is the angular velocity. The moment of inertia for a cylindrical object is given by I = 1/2mr^2, where m is the mass and r is the radius.

In this case, we can consider the outer reel as a point mass located at its average radius, Rf, and the inner reel as a point mass located at its average radius, r. This gives us the equation:

L = (1/2mRf^2)w = (1/2mr^2)w

We can then rearrange this equation to solve for w:

w = (mr^2)/(mRf^2)

Substituting in the values given in the problem, we get:

w = (m(0.012 m)^2)/(m(0.045 m)^2) = 0.711 rad/s

To convert to rev/min, we simply multiply by (60 s/2π rad) and get:

w = (0.711 rad/s)(60 s/2π rad) = 21.4 rev/min

Therefore, the angular speed when both reels have the same speed is approximately 0.711 rad/s or 21.4 rev/min. This calculation assumes that the tape is being played at a constant angular velocity, as you initially thought. However, the problem is asking for the angular speed at the point when both reels have the same speed, which is not necessarily the same as the average angular speed over the entire 2.0 hours. I hope this explanation helps clarify the solution for you.

1. What is simple rotation?

Simple rotation is a type of rotational motion where an object moves around a fixed axis, with all points on the object rotating at the same angular velocity.

2. How is angular velocity defined?

Angular velocity is defined as the rate of change of angular displacement of an object with respect to time. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s).

3. What factors affect angular velocity?

The factors that affect angular velocity are the size and shape of the object, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the force applied to the object.

4. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It can also be calculated by multiplying the angular speed (in revolutions per second) by 2π.

5. How is angular velocity related to linear velocity?

Angular velocity is related to linear velocity through the formula v = rω, where v is the linear velocity, r is the distance from the axis of rotation, and ω is the angular velocity. This means that as angular velocity increases, so does linear velocity.