Draw Animals Like in Link: Tools & Methods | Drawing Painting

• Thread starter Emieno
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drawing
In summary, the user is having trouble with Inkscape and is unsure of what might be wrong. The user has an HP with a Celeron processor and is running Windows Millenium. The user has tried the stable version of Inkscape and the nightly development version, but is still having trouble.
Computer science news on Phys.org
My advice:

Sketch them by hand. Finish in marker. Scan the black & white. Colour on the computer.

If you're hoping to actually use a computer to draw them freehand, well - good luck to you.

You'd be suprised how well some people can draw freehand with a mouse. It is pretty amazing.

If you don't feel confortable with a mouse, try a watcom tablet.

http://www.wacom.com/index2.cfm

I've always used Illustrator (first 6, then 8; I bought 10, then found out that the stupid thing won't work on my system, so it'll have to wait until I upgrade). I've really missed having it, since my computer is still at my old place and neither this one (N/W's) nor the one at work have any art stuff. Thanks for the link, Dduardo. I've downloaded it, but haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

dduardo said:
You'd be suprised how well some people can draw freehand with a mouse. It is pretty amazing.

If you don't feel confortable with a mouse, try a watcom tablet.

http://www.wacom.com/index2.cfm

Yes, I am an artist illustrator myself and I have a tablet. But to meet the OP's needs, he should maximize his ability at sketching and then maximize his ability to modify it - he should go with the tools that do their job best. A pencil for initial illo, and a computer for modification and finishing.

You want a tool that doesn't interfere with the creative process. you don't want to burn through brain cycles concentrating on the interface of the tool itself.

Last edited:
Despite the badge, this isn't a joke. I sometimes go with the "poor man's tablet"; I freehand what I want on the monitor with a dry-erase pen and trace it with the mouse. I can't move it or scale it until I'm finished, of course, but it can come in handy in a pinch. :approve:

Last edited:
Dduardo, can you possibly assist me here? I need a plain English explanation of what might be wrong. When I installed Inkscape on N/W's computer and tried to run it, the following message came up:
Pango-ERROR**.file shape.C:line 75(pango_shape): assertion failed:(glyphs->num_glyphs>0)
aborting

When I clicked the 'OK' button in the dialogue box, it repeated the above message and added:
Pango-WARNING(recursed)**. Couldn't load font "MS Sans Serif 8" falling back to 'Sans 8'
aborting

I re-downloaded and reinstalled it with all of the translators except for English and Russian deselected, and exactly the same thing happened again. Any idea what's wrong and how to fix it?
If it matters, it's an HP with Celeron processor. I think that her Windows version is Millenium, but I can't check for sure until I get home from work tonight. Thanks.
PS: I suspect that it's a hardware problem, because that machine is terribly slow and freezes up a lot.

This is a bug in the windows version. You can see the details here:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=93438&atid=604306&func=detail&aid=1277746

It is still open, so I assume it hasn't been fixed. I would try the nightly development version if the stable 0.43 version doesn't work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, man. That saved me a lot of messing around and cursing.

1. How can I improve my animal drawing skills?

To improve your animal drawing skills, it is important to practice regularly and study the anatomy and movements of different animals. It can also be helpful to use reference images and try different techniques and tools to find what works best for you.

2. What tools do I need to draw animals like in Link?

The tools you need will depend on the specific animal you are drawing and your personal preferences. Generally, you will need pencils, erasers, paper, and possibly colored pencils or markers for shading and adding details. You may also want to use a reference image or a drawing tablet for more precise lines.

3. Is it necessary to have artistic talent to draw animals like in Link?

No, anyone can learn to draw animals with practice and patience. While some people may have a natural talent for drawing, it is not a requirement to create realistic and detailed animal drawings. With the right tools and techniques, anyone can improve their drawing skills.

4. How do I choose which animal to draw?

When choosing which animal to draw, consider your interests and what you are most comfortable drawing. You may also want to challenge yourself by choosing an animal you have never drawn before. It can also be helpful to start with simpler animals and work your way up to more complex ones.

5. Can I use digital tools to draw animals like in Link?

Yes, there are many digital tools and software available that can aid in drawing animals. These include drawing tablets, digital brushes, and various drawing programs. However, it is still important to have a strong foundation in traditional drawing techniques and skills.