Maximum Parallel Force of an Object

In summary, the maximum parallel force needed to keep a 7.5 kg object stationary on a horizontal surface with a coefficient of static friction of 1.0 is 73.5 N. The coefficient of kinetic friction is not needed in this scenario. The normal force, which is equal to the weight of the object, is 73.5 N.
ch3570r
"For a 7.5 kg object on a horizontal surface that has a coefficient of static friction where us = 1.0, and a coefficient of kinetic friction where uk = 0.8, the maximum parallel force which will not set the object in motion is?"

a) 23.5 N
b) 51.2 N
c) 60.0 N
d) 73.5 N
e) 81.3 N

This is the first problem I've ever done with the coefficient of static and kinetic friction. I have these formulas; F fr = ukFN; Fmax = usFN

Im not sure if that's all I need. I do know that the Normal force (FN) is 71.8, but I am not sure how to go about finding the "max parallel force". If I solve for "Fmax" I get 71.8, but that leaves out the coefficient of static friction. I think I need help

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to keep your object stationary, correct? So you don't even need the coefficient of kinetic friction at all.

well, yea, I guess I don't need the coefficient of kinetic friction.

hold on, I was mistaken when I said 71.8 was the normal force. 7.5 * g = 73.5...which is the weight = FN. then, FN * 1 = FN, which is 73.5.

Thanks for the help moose

1. What is the maximum parallel force of an object?

The maximum parallel force of an object is the maximum amount of force that can be applied to an object in a parallel direction without causing it to move or deform.

2. How is the maximum parallel force of an object calculated?

The maximum parallel force of an object is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of static friction (μ) by the normal force (N) exerted on the object. This can be represented by the equation Fmax = μN.

3. What factors affect the maximum parallel force of an object?

The maximum parallel force of an object can be affected by several factors, including the coefficient of static friction, the weight and shape of the object, and the surface it is resting on. Additionally, the presence of any lubricants or adhesives can also affect the maximum parallel force.

4. Can the maximum parallel force of an object be exceeded?

Yes, it is possible for the maximum parallel force to be exceeded if the applied force is greater than the maximum force calculated by the equation Fmax = μN. This can result in the object slipping or deforming.

5. How is the maximum parallel force of an object useful in real-world applications?

The concept of maximum parallel force is important in determining the stability and safety of structures, such as buildings and bridges. It is also useful in designing machines and tools that require a certain level of friction to function properly. In industrial settings, understanding the maximum parallel force can help prevent accidents and ensure the proper handling of heavy objects.