How Can I Prove the Convergence of a Fraction with Large Exponents?

In summary, the question asks to prove that the fraction (2n^4 + 4n^2 + 3n - 5)/(n^4 - n^3 + 2n^2 - 80) converges to 2 as n approaches infinity. By using the algebra of limits, this can be shown to be true. However, for a more precise and rigorous approach, one can use the expression after dividing by n^4. It is not necessary to evaluate the entire expression all at once, as the goal is to show that the top tends to 2 and the bottom tends to 1. The purpose of learning difficult mathematics is to be able to handle these types of problems without having to evaluate them
Oxymoron
I need some help with a question.

Q) Prove that (2n^4 + 4n^2 + 3n - 5)/(n^4 - n^3 + 2n^2 - 80) converges to 2 as n goes to infinity.

A)

By the algebra of limits, this converges to 2 since

lim(n->oo)[2 + 4/n^2 + 3/n^3 - 5/n^4]/lim(n->oo)[1 - 1/n + 2/n^2 - 80/n^4)

(2 + 0 + 0 + 0)/(1 - 0 + 0 + 0) = 2

However, I would like to do this a little more precisely and rigorously. Can someone tell me...

Would I fix epsilon (e) > 0.

Then the absolute value of the quotient minus 2 must be bigger than epsilon, etc...

Or would I approach this in another way.

Any Help woudl be appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Then the absolute value of the quotient minus 2 must be bigger than epsilon, etc...

I think you want smaller, not bigger.

You don't want to do that by epsilons not all at once: it will not be pretty or interesting or useful.

you can do something a little more rigorous using the expression after you've divided through by n^4, but it isn't necessary. you can show the top tends to 2 the bottom to 1, and each of those is because the 1/n^r terms tend to zero.The whole point of learning difficult mathematics is to not have to evaluate these kinds of things all at once. It won't help you at all to do so.

1. What is the definition of "least upper bound"?

The least upper bound, also known as the supremum, is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all of the numbers in a given set. In other words, it is the smallest upper bound for a set of numbers.

2. How is the least upper bound different from the greatest lower bound?

The least upper bound is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all of the numbers in a set, while the greatest lower bound, also known as the infimum, is the largest number that is less than or equal to all of the numbers in a set.

3. Why is the concept of "least upper bound" important in mathematics?

The concept of least upper bound is important in mathematics because it allows us to define a set of numbers without having to specify a specific upper bound. This makes it possible to work with infinite sets and allows us to prove the existence of certain values in a set.

4. How do you prove the existence of a least upper bound in a set of numbers?

To prove the existence of a least upper bound in a set of numbers, we must show that the set has an upper bound and that no number smaller than the upper bound is also an upper bound. This can be done using the completeness axiom, which states that every non-empty set of real numbers that is bounded above has a least upper bound.

5. What are some real-world applications of the concept of least upper bound?

The concept of least upper bound has various applications in real-world situations, such as in economics and finance, where it is used to determine the maximum price for a product or service that a consumer is willing to pay. It is also used in computer science algorithms, such as binary search, to efficiently find the upper bound of a set of data. Additionally, the concept is used in engineering to determine the maximum load that a structure can withstand before collapsing.