Equivalent Electrical Model for Spring-Damper Circuit: Seeking Advice

In summary, a student in NTU Singapore is seeking help in creating an equivalent electrical model for a spring damper circuit. The circuit includes a pressure source and a mass damper arrangement as a piston. The student is asking for suggestions on websites and ideas for creating this model. They are advised to look for "Linear Systems" books or search for "linear systems" online. It is recommended to write differential equations, convert to s-domain, and use known electrical components to construct the equivalent electrical system.
kris0020
hi friends,
i am a student in NTU singapore. doing a project for my m.sc degree. i need a help in drawing an equivalent electrical model of the spring damper circuit.The circuit consists a pressure source and a mass damper arrangement as a piston. based on the pressure the piston moves down and an opposing damper action moves it up. how to get an euiqvalent electrical model of it. if u guys know any websites regarding this please do suggest me also u r ideas are needed.
thanks
krishna

Engineering news on Phys.org
Take a look for "Linear Systems" books at your library, or google for "linear systems", here are some interesting sites, http://www.sosmath.com/diffeq/system/linear/basicdef/basicdef.html" last link is about mechanical systems. Good Luck.P.S typical process of converting some system to another is to write diff. equations that describe the system. Convert to s-domain, since it is easier to compute different characteristics and then use known electrical components construct the equiv.el.system ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Krishna,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your project. I am not an expert in electrical models, but I will try my best to provide some guidance.

From my understanding, an equivalent electrical model for a spring-damper circuit can be represented by a combination of resistors, capacitors, and inductors. The spring can be represented by a capacitor, and the damper can be represented by a resistor. The pressure source can be represented by a voltage source, and the mass can be represented by an inductor.

I recommend researching and understanding the principles of electrical circuits and their equivalent models. There are many resources available online, such as textbooks, tutorials, and websites like Khan Academy and All About Circuits.

Additionally, you can try using circuit simulation software like LTSpice or CircuitLab to help you visualize and simulate your model.

I hope this helps get you started. Best of luck with your project!

1. What is the equivalent electrical model for a spring-damper circuit?

The equivalent electrical model for a spring-damper circuit is a series connection of a resistor and an inductor in parallel with a capacitor. This model represents the mechanical system of a spring and damper in terms of electrical components.

2. How is the equivalent electrical model derived for a spring-damper circuit?

The equivalent electrical model is derived by analyzing the equations of motion for the spring-damper system and converting them into electrical equations using analogies between mechanical and electrical components.

3. What are the advantages of using the equivalent electrical model for a spring-damper circuit?

One advantage is that it allows for easier analysis and calculation of the system's behavior, as electrical components have well-defined equations and parameters. Additionally, the model can be easily implemented in electrical simulation software for further analysis.

4. Can the equivalent electrical model accurately represent the behavior of a spring-damper circuit?

Yes, the equivalent electrical model can accurately represent the behavior of a spring-damper circuit as long as the electrical components are chosen to have values that correspond to the mechanical parameters of the system.

5. Are there any limitations to using the equivalent electrical model for a spring-damper circuit?

One limitation is that the model assumes linear behavior, which may not be accurate for systems with large displacements or high frequencies. Additionally, the model does not take into account any nonlinearities or friction, which may affect the system's behavior.